Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

The Barren Tree

Chapter 1

by Myeerah, published on April 30, 2001

Rittersberg, 1996

How could she do this to me? Never mind, I know the answer to that one. But why won't she talk to me? S**t, I know the answer to that, too.

Gabriel stopped his line of questioning right there. The self recrimination accomplished nothing, and no matter how sorry he was, Grace was not coming back. He'd sent letter after letter-- and I hate to write letters --with no response. She wouldn't respond to his e-mails either-- I hate computer s**t even more than letter writin' --and he couldn't call her: the only phone line was for the computer. He'd confessed everything in those letters, how he felt, what had happened, how she made him feel--and apologized profusely.

The only thing she's told me is to stay away from her. Well, screw that!

"Gerde, get me a ticket to Tibet! I'm gonna see Gracie!"

"I don't think that would be the wisest course, Gabriel."

"I'm aware of that. I'm doin' it anyway." Determination replaced the lost look in his green eyes. "I've screwed up my life enough already. I'm not gonna screw this up, too."

When Gerde hesitated he said, "Please, Gerde?"

She sighed. "Go and pack. I'll call for you."

Gabriel hugged her fiercely. "Thank you, Gerde," he whispered. He bolted off for his room.

You're not getting away from me this time, Gracie!


The wind lashed at him as he roared down the lane. Gabriel never felt so free as when on his Harley. Now the feeling was mixed with apprehension. What if Grace rejected him after coming all that way? After finally deciding to-- ugh --commit to someone, the thought of rejection had his intestines in a death grip around his stomach.

"What to say, what to say. . . hi Grace? No. I've missed you? Ugh. I know you don't want to see me right now, but. . . oh hell. Grace, I love you. Will you marry m--"

A car, hidden by the treeline, pulled out right in front of him. Lost in thought, he couldn't stop or ever slow down. The last thing Gabriel knew was the feeling of his bones breaking as his hips hit the handlebars of his Harley.

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev | next »