Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

End times: a Gabriel Knight mystery

Introduction

by AGM, published on April 22, 2001

Satan comes in many forms, animate and inanimate.

Where he and his ilk are found, no light shall be due to their darkness.

And where demons gather, angels are loath to tread.

Where fools meet, shall man’s end arrive.

And where hypocrisy, racism, and anger cloud the hearts of men, there shall the innocence of mankind truly be lost.

When these things do happen, know that the end of man has come...and know that your time hath come with it.

Only those deemed worthy and just by our lord, know the true path to victory, and they will paint that road with their own blood divine, to keep the Lord in the minds of all.


Two months. Exactly two months since he'd last seen Grace... since his trip to Rennes-le-Château and since all the nuttiness that is his life once more turned things upside down.

He immediately wrote his latest adventure down on paper and e-mailed it to his publisher. The newest and as far as he was concerned the last Blake Backlash adventure, titled Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned. The publisher loved it and it was already being readied to be sent to the printers.

After that Gabriel had locked himself away. Bathing became very infrequent, almost non-existent. Shaving was a thing of the past. And leaving the castle? Forget about it.

Gerde continued to get more worried by the coming of each day. And soon began to call Gabriel's grandmother and Mosely once a day just so she could have an excuse to have him talk to someone.

She was tempted to fly his grandmother out, but feared what the old woman would think or feel seeing her grandson in such a horrid state.

But it was late night now. A cold European winter, which caused many of the fireplaces in the castle to be lit. All were asleep throughout the town of Rittersberg except for Gabriel. As many nights before this, he sat in the Schattenjäger study, gazing out of the window, in total dazed and depressed thought.

Suddenly the room seemed to grow colder and darker to Gabriel. And unnatural cold, which caused him to bristle and grasp his family talisman tightly in his hand.

Suddenly, as if he were dreaming, his eyes began seeing things that weren't there. He saw a room, large filled with people in cloaks, and an altar in the middle.

Three figures seemed to be resting on the altar, but Gabriel wasn't able to make them out. Then another figure seemed to come into view. A man's face that Gabriel had never seen. He seemed to smile at Gabriel, before viciously grabbing two of the figures by the head and dragging them into view.

Gabriel's heart seemed to stop. The heads were those of Grace and Gran. Gran's face brought dread into his heart, but Grace's? That brought anger and intense fear into the young man's being.

No! He tried to cry, but his mouth uttered no sound.

The man now surely smiled and then uttered the only thing that Gabriel would hear before the noises that drove him to scream out loud in that same anger and fear that he felt before would come.

"Hello Schattenjäger Be seeing you soon... Since this is just a glimpse of things to come."

That's when he unsheathed two blades from his robes and drove both of them straight into the hearts of Gran and Grace.

"Gabriel!" They both screamed, but only for a second, as their lives ended almost instantly.

It would be many hours before the screaming from Schloss Ritter would stop, and another fifteen minutes before Gerde would be able to pry the bloody talisman, from Gabriel's intense grip.

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

next »