Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

End times: a Gabriel Knight mystery

Chapter 5

by AGM, published on May 6, 2001

“Grace calm down. Speak slowly.”

Gerde had been preparing for Grandmother Knight's arrival when the phone had rang and she dashed to get it.

To her surprise, it had been Grace, a very frantic and uncharacteristically scared sounding Grace.

“Gerde…” She said through sniffled tears and crying. “Where's Gabriel?”

“He has gone to Munich to pick up his grandmother from the airport. And he has been trying to get in contact with you now as well. He believes you are in danger.”

She cried harder. “He's dead!”

Gerde nearly dropped the phone shocked. “Who? Gabriel?”

Grace murmured a quick no. “A…friend of mine…Hong. He died, a man in white robes with a beard came. And…and…he attacked us, and had Hong eaten alive by locusts.” Grace immediately began to wail again. “And it was all because he had tried to protect me.”

Gerde didn't know what to say. Grace was breaking down to her, she wanted more then anything to comfort her friend, but comfort would come when she arrived here, right now she needed information.

“Grace, where are you exactly? And how soon do you think you can get to Schloss Ritter?”

Grace relayed the information, along with a phone number that could be used to reach the monastery.

“Do not worry Grace, as soon as we get plane ticket information we will be able to get you out here. And I will have Gabriel call you as soon as he can.”

“Okay Gerde. Thank you.” Grace said now slightly more composed. “And tell Gabriel…tell him…” There was pause over the line, where neither on either end said anything.

Gerde thought they might have been cut off. “Grace…”She started.”

She answered abruptly. “Just tell Gabriel I'll see him soon. Thank you Gerde, I have to go now.” Then the line went dead.


“Oh Gabriel! I had seen the pictures but this is truly where you live? It's beautiful.”

“It's not that great Gran.” Gabriel said with a drawl.

But to Gran it was. She had loved everything about Rittersberg since she had arrived. The people's replies, the countryside, the “nice and brisk weather” as she had put it, and of course the castle.

“My word…”Were the first words she said as she laid her eyes on Gabriel's home.

Gabriel began to fidget in his seat as he saw Gran staring at his home opened mouthed.

“My…my…my husband grew up here? Its hard to believe he ever left.” She finally said. “It's magnificent. And you said he had had a brother?”

He answered quickly. Blurting out a fast reply. “Yes, Uncle Wolfgang, granddaddy's brother was the last Ritter to live in this castle…I guess before I came along.”

The car pulled up to the castle. The driver and Gabriel began to grab Gran's and move them into the castle.

They had just stepped into the foyer and Gabriel had just paid the driver when Gran turned to him and stared at him.

Gabriel got slightly scared and walked up to her and put his arms on her shoulders.

“What is it Gran?”

She shook her head, half laughing to herself. Then turning to him she said, “Oh nothing, just a silly old woman letting her superstitions get the best of her, but dear, did you ever find out what the word Schattenjäger meant?”

Gabriel's mouth hung open. He didn't know WHAT to say. How exactly was he going to tell Gran what he did?

“Herr Knight! You have returned just in time. I have important news that…”

Gerde. Thank god, He thought.

“Gran. You haven't met Gerde yet, have you? Gerde, this is my ever beautiful and pretty grandmother. Gran, this is Gerde, caretaker and the best darn friend anyone could have in the dank, gloomy castle.”

“Hello Mrs. Knight, I believe we have talked on the phone before?”

She walked up to Gerde and gave her a hug. “Of course we have dear. And I'm so glad you took such good care of my Gabriel while he was so depressed. It's wonderful to see him so lively and up now. You must be an incredibly strong person, because I know how stubborn Gabriel can be.”

Gerde sighed. “Of course. I think we all know that.”

Gabriel groaned.

Gran continued. “Yes, in fact I remember one time when…”

Gabriel interrupted. “Anyway…this is really very delightful, but Gerde didn't you say you had something important…”

“Yes Herr Knight! Grace has called…”She blurted out.

“She called?” Gabriel repeated grabbing her by the shoulders. “What did she say? Do you know where she is? Is she in trouble?”

“Gabriel!” Gran said raising her voice sharply. “Let the poor girl talk.”

Gabriel sort of sunk down and shrugged his shoulders as a way of saying sorry, then looked towards Gerde. Gran wandered a little ways away from the two and began looking around the main hall.

“Grace is in Tibet. Her exact location I have written down. She is in no immediate danger, at the moment that is, but she has had a slight run in with…an interesting person. To say the least I think you should fly out there and accompany her here, back to Schloss Ritter.”

Gabriel nodded. “But what about you and Gran? What if…”

She shushed him. “I will have my uncle and the villagers assist me in the protection of your Grandmother. You are the Schattenjäger Herr Knight, they are devoted to you. They will help.”

“Ok…but what about Mosely? I still need to get in touch with him and tell him forget it then. He's still…”

“I have already called. He is currently on assignment, and cannot be reached. But he did leave a message that he would call you as soon as he returned, which should be in a day or too.”

Gabriel shook his head. “Damn Gerde, what would I do without you?

She sighed half smiling. “As Grace once told me, even the devil himself couldn't handle you.”

He laughed. “And I said this same thing back, and that's well, if he had a great set of legs…like you…then well…”

She stopped him. “Moving on, go. Show your grandmother around the castle, I will call and book your plane tickets and talk to my uncle before you leave.”

Gabriel nodded. He walked over to his grandmother, took her by the arm and began showing her this and that all around the castle grounds.

But all the while one thought rang through his head.

What the hell am I going to say to you Grace when I see you?

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev | next »