Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

Falling from Grace

Episode four

by Starla - published on July 11, 2000

Grace woke up in a sweat, the talisman still sharp in her mind. It took her a moment to remember where she was. She frowned. Only rarely had Grace received foreshadowing dreams, unlike Gabe, who seemed keyed into the whole psychic intuition thing with every case... although he tended to ignore what his subconscious was telling him.

Grace shuffled through her bag, found her notebook, and quickly recorded the dream lest she forget it. She would have loved to stay in the room longer, reading or perhaps taking another nap, but she needed to get to work.

By the time she left the house, she had completely forgotten about the odd shower head in the bathroom, that thought eclipsed by concern for Gabriel.

Entering the library, she saw a surprisingly young, slender man with dark hair and a handsome, gentle face pushing a cart of books toward the wall, most likely for reshelving. She immediately recognized the sharp angles of the face, the high cheekbones and deep-set green eyes. It had all been in her dream. This was Dominic.

Hearing the door squeak shut, Dominic turned, the light catching his hair and shining on his smooth face. His lips parted in a warm grin, revealing perfect teeth.

"Yes?"

Grace suddenly felt very awkward. "Er," she stammered. "Are you Dominic?"

"Why, yes!" he said, raising his eyebrows in surprise. He spoke with the lilting accent of the locals, most of whom probably did not speak English.

"I was recommended to you by Igor Labican."

"Ah, of course, Igor called and said you would be coming by. Grace Nakimura?"

"Yes."

"Is that... Japanese?"

"Yes, it is," she said with a laugh. "But I am from America, as you can see. Second generation."

Before she knew it, Grace found herself talking to Dominic about America, her home, languages, history, all the things that interested her and were close to her heart. He matched her intelligence and enthusiasm with every word, gesturing wildly with his hands as they drank coffee and he showed her all his rare books.

An hour passed, and Grace realized she had not even broached the subject of her case. She seemed to connect with Dominic in a way she found difficult to do with most people. She had always known unusually bright, and therefore isolated from others. Dominic was on her level, a rare kindred spirit. Why had he been in her dream? What did he know that he wanted to tell her?

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev | next »