Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

Falling from Grace

Episode five

by Starla - published on July 13, 2000

There was a lull in conversation, and they sat in a comfortable silence which Grace hesitated to break. She really didn't want to talk about the case. She didn't want to spoil this moment.

"Well..." she sighed, then cast around for something intelligent to say.

Dominic seemed to know what she felt. He smiled quietly. "Igor sent you," he prompted, raising his eyebrows in a "tell me more" gesture.

"Yes," she frowned. "He hired me to investigate a death in his house. He believes the cause to be...well, he's not sure. Supernatural. I really don't know anything yet. I need to learn all I can about the history of the victim and the house."

"You sound just like a detective," he observed, chuckling.

"Well, I am, really. Just a different type. Do--do you believe in the supernatural?" She still felt horribly embarrassed asking people this question. Her work, her life revolved around the knowledge that supernatural forces were real...if someone didn't believe, it was like a personal rebuff of Grace herself.

For the first time, Dominic's expression looked pained. He pursed his lips and stared at the floor, gulping shakily, and his eyes were dark and full of an emotion Grace could not name. "Yes," he said tightly. "Yes... I... I have to." A tear slid down his smooth cheek and he looked so beautiful and unfathomably sad it was all Grace could do not to take him in her arms and comfort him like a small child.

"You have to," she repeated softly.

He nodded. His face was flushed and his eyes still wet with tears he was fighting to control. "He is my brother. The one that died in that house. My brother... Victor. We call him Vitya for short. Or sometimes WabeWalker."

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev | next »