Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

Falling from Grace

Episode six

by Starla - published on July 15, 2000

"Vitya," Grace repeated. "That's beautiful."

Dominic shrugged. "It sounds so silly when I call him that now. He's grown up. He was in the army for the past five years...he hated it, but it was a steady job. He'd rather weld, do metalwork, things like that. He's--he was very good. I missed those last five years of his life. I never had the chance to talk to him, to know what his life was like now. He came back home and...he died."

Grace was shocked to feel tears in her eyes. She never felt this close to people, never. No one except Gabriel had ever brought her to tears with their suffering. But she ached for Dominic, an ache that was so physical she wanted to sob and kiss him at the same time. And these were just words. She hadn't seen any of this, but his face was enough break her emotions completely.

"Do you know...why?" she said raspily. "Why he died?"

"No," Dominic snapped, not at her, but in frustration for his lack of knowledge. "I can't understand it! Why was he in Igor's house? What happened to him? It's crazy! It's so crazy I can hardly believe it!"

He let out a tear-filled sigh and stared at the carpet, arms clasped tightly in front of him as though to ward off any more pain. Grace stared at his contorted face and said no more. This should have been private, such a raw release of fears and anger, and she felt embarrassed to remain. But Grace knew he probably didn't even care that she was there; he was too wrapped up attempting to unravel the twisted sense in his brother's death.

Grace closed her eyes so she didn't have to watch Dominic anymore. She feared she would cry if she did. What was wrong with her, what was wrong with her, where was her Schattenjäger strength?

She felt a hand on her arm. "Grace?" Dominic breathed. His voice trembled. "Oh, I've upset you! I feel terrible! How selfish of me--"

"No." She opened her eyes and put her hand over his. "No, I'm glad that you told me. I don't know it...just struck a chord, I guess." She smiled. "Now look at us, both ready to burst into tears!" Grace began to laugh, a sweet release of a crazed jumble of desires and pains that she couldn't even name. Dominic aroused feelings in her that were frightening, feelings that were irrational and so strong they ruled her emotions like little ships being battered in a violent storm.

Grace was a Schattenjäger She needed to be strong. She COULD be strong. What use would she be to anyone, most of all Dominic, otherwise?

"Let's go to the house," she murmured gently. "Would you come with me? I can show you what happened. What it seems happened. We know so little."

"Sure." Dominic stood up and surprised her by how tall he was.

"Yes, I'm tall," he said with a wry grin. "Six-three I believe. Vitya was an inch taller."

"I like tall men," she grinned. What am I DOING? she thought. I'm flirting like a stupid teenage girl. But I do like tall men. I don't want Dominic to feel awkward. Oh, hell.

Grace stood up at a proud five feet, seven inches, touched Dominic's arm, and they both walked silently out of the library. Yes, she liked tall men. She would like nothing better than to have his arm around her, and nestle against his tall, protective body.

Grace grimaced, mentally kicking herself, and stared straight ahead down the empty, gray winter street.

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev | next »