Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

Falling from Grace

Episode seven

by Starla - published on July 16, 2000

Trying to repress her urge to move closer to Dominic, Grace began to chatter away about this and that, asking inane questions about the village, the library, Dominic, Igor, the house, the market--everything but Dominic's brother. By the time they had reached the mansion, which stood only about three blocks away from the main street, Grace had already formed a rough sketch of Dominic's childhood, Igor's favorite books, and a short history of the founding of the village.

"I've never been in Igor's home, except for the entryway and the parlor. We were acquaintances, not friends." Dominic took in the appearance of the house, squinting a bit as he tried to picture it in a new, malevolent context.

"It smells like oranges in here."

"I know. Potpourri."

"Potpourri?!?" Dominic began to laugh. "You are kidding? Igor has potpourri in his house? Do you know how difficult it would be to buy that here? Unless he wanted to make it himself. He spends all that money--on potpourri!" Dominic laughed until there were tears in his eyes. "I don't know why I find that so amusing. I guess I'm just nervous."

"Why?" Grace asked seriously. "What do you think we will find?"

"I don't know. Just show...me where it happened."

The coziness of the house seemed almost nerve-wracking to Grace. She felt no hostility in the air, but that almost made the whole situation worse. Such a bizarre death, the ending of a young life--she couldn't even picture something so cruel in the warm, sumptuous surroundings of Igor's mansion.

"My little brother," Dominic whispered. "My poor, poor little brother."

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev | next »