Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

Falling from Grace

Episode eleven

by HerrBearen - published on August 12, 2000

The Doctor's hand was huge, enough for it to cover Grace's face... and certainly enough to hold her in one spot and not move. "Ms. Nakimura, are you alright? I came to see how you were after I heard much moving about.", he exclaimed beginning to notice the bruise on Grace's face.

"Why did you lock me in there? Was this some kind of a joke? Because, if this was a joke, then, I don't think it was one bit funny. And I also think..."

"CHchchchchch...." Doctor Sebastian shushed Grace from her quickdraw tirade with a large index finger to his lips... but, the shush sounded more like the rattle of a snake. Was this how his people quieted their children? It must have scared them into looking for snakes.

"No, Ms. Nakimura... I did not lock you in. The door was never locked... you see, it has no lock. Let me see your face, if you do not mind... hmmmm... yes, bruised much. I struck you harder than I had hoped. Such a lovely face... it shall heal in ten days. You are very fortunate... you could have died.", the Doctor proclaimed as he looked at Grace's face and neck, moving her head ever sao gently from side to side... with one hand.

Grace too, noticed his hands. Thick leather skin, covered with scars of different shapes and sizes. Knarled bone and muscle that made them strong and ominous. Grace noticed that most of the scars were in pairs of two... round and of different sizes... like being bitten multiple times by snakes... and then there were other circular scars that were not in pairs... like one who had been stabbed with an ice pick or long thorns.

"Your hands are so... marked! So... scarred... so..." Grace was trying to grab words from the air to describe this strong man, all the while being mesmerised by the resemblance to another man in her past. A man who's hands were equally as strong, though, the other man's hands were meant to strangle with a death grip.

"Ms. Nakimura, this is the result of many years of digging roots, gathering plants, tearing bark from trees... all to make medicine... and there are the ritual scars of the Wanyamwesi... my people... into the rites of manhood." Doctor Sebastian was referring to the scars that were deliberately made. All the while Grace noticed on the wrists the designs of two large spots. One was reddish and the other, white. They were on both wrists... tattoos, perhaps?

"What caused these scars? Besides gathering your ingredients? You said 'ritual'... what kind of ritual?" Grace was feeling a bit more at ease with Doctor Sebastian, but, still had a problem with giving all of her trust to him. "And what were your people like?"

"These are the limuntonga... or the remains of the rituals that I undertook. My people, the Wanyamwesi or Snake People of Tanganyika, were a powerful and great people. The red spot was made from the red earth... and the white spot was made from the Python's white excrement. It was part of my mavanga gitu ceremony... or initiation into manhood. My family was Mutemi or emperor of the Wanyanwesi. To take the position of Mutemi, one must become initiated into the Wanunguri... or Porcupine Guild." Doctor Sebastian noticed Grace try to stifle a laugh after he said Porcupine. She thought that was as funny as the Junior Woodchucks. She imagined small boys wearing quills in their uniforms and poking each other silly. She had almost burst out loud in laughter, but, the Doctor had a serious look on his face.

"Do not laugh, Ms. Nakimura. The people of the Wanunguri were the hunters of the Porcupine, because the animal would dig deep into the ground and burrow out the harvests of manioc and sweet potatoes. The initiation is akin to the Jewish Barmitzvah of welcoming a boy into manhood. After we are marked with the limuntonga, we are to go through the mavanga gitu ceremony or... the Rite of the Bald Head. It is the only way to become Urogi or Mutemi."

By this time, Grace couldn't control herself anymore and let loose with an earful of laughter. As quickly as she burst out she stopped... knowing full well that it was considered rude to laugh at such things. Wiping the tears from her eyes, she begged his forgiveness.

"I'm really sorry... hhmmmpphh.... I really am..." Grace thought of little bald porcupine scouts, singing campfire songs and roasting sweet potato over an open fire.

"That is alright, Ms. Nakimura... though, you will find the humor gone when you meet with a cobra, as I have many times. Come, let us go down the stairs to dine.", exclaimed the kind and gentle Doctor.

"Okaaayy... so what are we having to eat? A girl has to watch her figure.", Grace exclaimed as she thought of all the rich French cuisine she turned down before.

"We will be dining on only pure nurishment to help you become a true Schattenjäger.",said Doctor Sebastian, as he turned towards the spiral staircase to the Dining Hall.

"Which is?" questioned Grace following him down the stairs.

"The Lama from Tibet has deemed that you eat only fruits, berries, nuts and yogurt. Pure and easy to digest."

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev | next »