Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

Falling from Grace

Episode fourteen

by HerrBearen - published on August 16, 2000

Grace sat there dumbstruck amidst her tears and self pity. Maybe she could just forget this whole mystery biz and go home... to Momma? No way! Back to college? Not yet. But, where would she go? Her destiny lay in being a Knight of Light... and if she quit now... what would become of her? She'd forfeit her training and credibility... not to mention, she'd lose face. She reached into her pocket and pulled out a tissue and dried her tears.

"Y... yes, those two books were written about Gabriel and myself on our first two assignments. Why did you read those books?", Grace asked nervously.

"I was asked to read them by Chadrel, he said it was important that I do. He said that I would meet someone who would fill in the missing details and bring much light on these subjects. I believe, I've met that person he was talking about. Am I correct?" Sebastian glanced at Grace for a moment and then reached out for the bowl of yogurt. "We must eat if we are to remain strong."

"I know... I don't feel that hungry... after thinking about... HIM. But, you're right. Dominic? Would you please hand me the raisin bowl?" Grace felt a knot in the pit of her stomach, which showed no sign of easing up. "There it is again... that smell of citrus... are there any oranges on the table?" Grace looked around and only saw the dried fruits, nuts and yogurt... no fresh citrus fruits.

"I'm puzzled you ask that question, Ms. Grace. For I do not smell any citrus. And I have not prepared anything of the citrus family. Just simple dried..." the Doctor stopped in mid sentence as Both Dominic and the Doctor looked at Grace as she was staring towards the opposite wall. For on the wall mural was an orange grove... with the same Nymphs and Satyrs as outside. But, the Sylph was in the middle of the mural.

Grace's jaw dropped as the two men turned to look at the mural... the windswept hair of the Sylph appeared to be blowing in the wind... FOR REAL! The clouds on the mural were darkening and the leaves on the orange trees were in movement to the unseen wind. Lightning flashed behind the Sylph as the lights in the Dining Hall went out.

Doctor Sebastian quickly lit the candelabra in the middle of the table, but, there was no wind to blow out the flames. He turned back towards the mural and saw that the Nymphs and Satyrs had disappeared from view. All three were transfixed by this view of pure evil at work.

Dominic slowly moved towards Grace as if to protect her from something unseen, but, felt. Another flash of lightning in the background of the mural, as the face of the Sylph slowly moved... to look down at the three at the table. Her eyes grew to a firey red and her crooked smile grew larger... showing more of the pointed teeth. As the mouth appeared to open, showing a snakes tongue and fire erupted in the eyes... it started to laugh... not a cackling laughter, but, a sweet beckoning... like the Sirens of the Sea in Homer's Ulysses.

The flames on the candles began to flicker as if there was movement in the room. The leaves of the orange grove were beginning to move faster, as the wind in the mural was picking up speed. The Sylph was now staring directly at Grace and increasing in volume... almost to ear splitting... deafening... It was no longer a laugh, but, a long, single note of high octave... growing in volume and vibrato. The table started to shake, as well as the chairs... the bowls on the table were rattling and bouncing around as the air in the Dining Hall was now disturbed. More lightning in the mural's background, as the dark clouds were now almost black... Dominic turned to look at Grace, who was now 6 inches above the ground and slowly rising....

"Grace! Turn away from the wall! TURN AWAY FROM THE WALL!!", Dominic screamed. To no avail... as Grace was now 15 inches above the ground and still rising! He grabbed the bowl of raisins and threw it towards the mural... the bowl disappeared. Then it reappeared in the mural itself! Like it was freshly painted into the artwork! Then to be blown into the painting's background...

More lightning flashed against the painted sky, as the Sylph was beginning to lower her arms... towards GRACE! The long shrill note kept sounding as Grace, transfixed on the image, was now 36 inches off the ground and begriming to move... float... towards the mural.

"Do SOMETHING!!", screamed Dominic to Sebastian as he tried to hold Grace back... though, he too noticed that he wasn't on the ground anymore. The candle flames were dancing in this almost windless room, as the table shook even more violently... the bowl of yogurt fell off of the table and crashed to the floor.

"Do SOMETHING!! NOW!!!!" Cried Dominic as the Doctor reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a leather bag. He dumped part of it's contents into his hand and blew the fine powder towards the mural... another flash of lightning... as the Sylph screamed loud enough to shatter the glasses on the table.

The mural stopped. Grace fell with a thud on the table top, along with Dominic next to her. The mural reverted back to what it was before... blue sky, orange groves, Nymphs, Satyrs... but, the Sylph wasn't there...

"Gah... unnnnGAH!... Di...DID you see THAT??" Grace sputtered out, finding herself on the table. "Wh...what WAS THAT?? What's with this place, anyhow??"

"I know not such a thing, Ms. Grace... are you alright?" the Doctor said shakily. "We're most fortunate that I have my medicines with me. The mural on the wall does not like Muchangoko blossom. No?"

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev | next »