Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

Falling from Grace

Episode seventeen

by Theresa Wilson - published on October 21, 2000

"Oh God. This is a really cruel joke. What is it? Does the painting have some kind of power or is something living in it?" Grace cried. She should run to her parents and tell Gabriel to capture the monster again. But, if this was her path of choice, she'd have to keep going onward. "I bet he's been transported somewhere else." the doctor coughed. "Just as long as it's not in the painting." Grace said. "I'd rather stay on the earth I know. Not to a parallel universe." She briefly wondered if Gabriel would have laughed with her about that. In fact, although she had none him, she'd never really gotten to anything but a selfish rogue. Served her right. "Well, I'm not touching the painting." Grace said. "But, maybe there's been a change in it's appearance." She used a magnifying glass that Sebastian gave to her.

"No change. By the way, did the rabbit have that nasty look before?" "Oh, yes." Sebastian said. "I was staring at it the entire time." "Well, I think the best thing is to do research on the creatures and symbols in this painting. I wonder what Satyrs have to do with horned rabbis? The only one I've seen is the Jackalope my brother keeps in his living room."

"I'm surprised that only the bowl has a word on it. There's nothing else but mythical monsters in it." Sebastian stretched his chin.

"I think that ring in the painting has something to do with Igor's death." Grace said. "Who pained this?" She examined the name. "Otto Bovine. That's not a real name. No one is named Bovine."

"A translation of a foreign name or a nickname?" Sebastian inquired.

"Maybe." Grace and Sebastian realized the painting was the only thing of interest in Igor's house. So maybe it was the only key to the mystery.

Grace suddenly thought about something about the Voodoo Murders case that Gabriel had worked on. This thing with the painting was kind of the same basis. Symbols and figures used for some... purpose. What was the question. She thought about her friend who looked like Doctor John. Maybe he knew something helpful. But, she didn't like or trust him. He'd made her almost go back to the terror she'd felt while Tetelo and Doctor John had been about to kill her and he'd slapped her. Hard against the floor.

"At least my being away from my friend means I'll never be in the way of being used against him as a bargaining chip. That was idea I could never shake. I was extra careful after that. It's not a great situation to be in. And, I'd never let anyone have the satisfaction to kill me in their need for vengeance."

"Excuse me?" Sebastian said.

"Nothing." Grace said shaking her head. "I going over my thoughts. Let's examine the rest of the house."

There was a LARGE collection of books on demonology and myths. Igor had apparently found them his best friends. They were in his room right on the large headboard of his bed. He mostly liked Greek myths. Or maybe Scottish tales. There were so many of each subject.

"I've always wanted this book." Grace saw "Lost Myths of the Greeks". She replaced it and searched in some drawers.

"Will this help?" Sebastian seemed doubtful.

"If Dominic is gone, I can't think of any other way to discover things about Igor expect to look for personal papers and files. You'd be surprised what you could learn."

"But." Sebastian laughed. "It won't bring us any closer to the painting's secrets."

"Wrong, my new friend." Grace said pulling out a receipt. "Igor had this delivered to his house after buying it from an antique store. It was named Bonhill's Old and Restored Antiques. You know where that is?"

"It's a stall in the marketplace." Sebastian said, proudly. Grace had impressed him. But, there was no time for dilly dally. "Anything else in there?"

Grace searched and came up with letter from Igor to the artist. His real name was Daniel Bensen, not Otto Bovine. They seemed to be friends. She also found some folders with files in them. Files on Africa's History and Fairies. "Weird combination." Grace said. "These are all copies made from books or magazines. Was Igor working on some kind of project?"

"Looks as if he was gathering information on some member of the fey folk. It's right to assume it was a type of African fairy. Or spirit. Some stories of fairies have them as spirits."

"True." Grace said. "Let's read through these. But, first I'm going to make some tea. I'm thirsty and need something warm." Especially after that chilly painting., Grace thought inside her head.

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev | next »