Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

Falling from Grace

Episode nineteen

by Overmind - published on April 29, 2001

"It's all over me!! GET IT OFF! GET IT OFF!" He yelled and cried senseless in total panic.

He was covered, head to toe, in some strange red jelly which somehow smelled like blood. It's Odor filled both Grace and Sebastian's nostrils and dealt a hard blow to their stomachs. This, however, was no time to be weak-stomached.

Sebastian did his best to hold Dominic as still a he could, for in his panic he could have easily hurt himself, while Grace attempted, futilely, to calm him down.

"They're all watching me!! THEY'RE TOUCHING ME! RAPING ME!" He yelled out lout, so loud in fact, that his how voice ended up twisted and choked sometimes in the gargantuesque effort. Was he not careful, he could destroy his own vocal cords.

"What should we do! Sebastian! Do something!!" She urged the black man, who seems somehow to be the chosen one, to take action in this whole affair.

"Why, am I the one to always save everyone?" He said, in a sarcastically tone, yet, he had said it without thinking, without making a true attempt at humor, for in truth he was just has alarmed and scared as the other two.

Finally, he did something in Dominic's neck that Grace could not see, and right away, Dominic ceased to move.

"Oh! My god! You Killed him!" She began to scream, at her horror, for she had never truly trusted the man and now felt she had good reason to.

"I have not. Calm down, he is simply asleep." He answer, halfway to anger at seeing that he's good will has consistently been ignored by the lady. It did not last, however, and it took only seconds for him to return to the matter at hand.

He took the seemingly lifeless body over his shoulder and carried him over to the living room. Gracy felt her sanity was about to break, but she then sighed in deep relief when she heard Dominic give away a gentle snore. Twice on the way, Sebastian nearly dropped Dominic, for the jelly was indeed quite slippery.

Once in the living room, they felt almost safe. The farthest from the painting, the better. They still felt an eerie presence about, but they did their best to ignore it.

"I'm sorry", she said "I panicked."

"It's alright, Grace. I'm getting used to be the bad guy." He answered, once again sarcastic, but unknowingly.

"No... you're not the bad guy... I'm just..." She began to explain.

"Very shaken emotionally, I understand quite well. I am versed in the way of the human mind, I have made my studies in that field, Grace. Do not worry for me. I understand you, perfectly well." He said, cutting her mid-sentence.

He looked sincere enough to Grace, and they suddenly went on to another matter.

"When will he wake up, Dr?" She asked.

"In a few hours, I suppose." Sebastian answered.

"We'd better take him along with us back to his home... wherever that is." Gracy said, obviously implying Sebastian would carry him all over town.

"I do not wish to leave him here alone either. But, we do not know where he lives." Objected Sebastian.

"Anywhere but here!" She pressed on "Let's bring him to the library."

"Agreed!"

There was suddenly a movement in the wind, not like natural wind, but rather as if it was pushed about by a large wing. And then, it came to their ear... more terrifying than anything they had ever heard before. A soft laughter, not a deep evil one, but a joyful, childish one. As if a coral of young boys and girls were playing, happily, in the sand or running around. "Is the house laughing at us?" they both though without saying it.

More children came along, and soon there seemed to be dozens of them, yet, and they all came from the same direction : Behind them.

They were both white with fear, and they dared not to turn around and look, for they now knew better than to trust anything in this house, however innocent it may seem, like a painting, or a children's cheerful voice.

The wind was still moving about, in a punctuated and strong rhythm, but it was growing stronger and now, they could HEAR the flapping wing. And so… they turned to look.

There stood an angel. It seemed to be beyond recognition as far as a sex was concerned, but the body was surely that of an adult, while the face, was surely that of a child. It wasn't that great vision one could imagine of god’s beautiful aids, but a twisted vision of it, with a head twisted so that it’s neck should break, and it’s jaw laid wide open, half-broken and behind it teeth that were sharp and shiny and eyes that had no pupils, eyes that were horribly outlined by two red circles that made one think of an old doll. A horrible creature, so much humanlike, yet so different that it’s foulness could not do less than to strike fear in any witness’ heart.

And then, without warning, the lights dimmed, for the curtains were moving by themselves over the windows that used to let through the moon’s light as well as the streetlight’s. As the darkness settled, there seemed that the walls became of cloth, and trough it small bodies formed, like they were part of the wall, and yet could move in it. The bodies were, those of young children and they went about they games untroubled by the three adults in the center of the living room. No voice came from those children, though, it was as if the angel’s open lips spoke for them, all of them.

The angel moved forth, one step, as all the children, in harmony turned towards, Gracy, Sebastian and Dominic. The Clothlike matter of the walls denied them from distinguishing faces, but they knew that those eyes were set upon them. The Angel’s eyes were fixes upon Dominic, as every laughs now changed into a child’s cantine that contained merely one word “More”.

The voice became much more persistent in a matter of second, with all of a child’s urgency and eagerness, as if they expected the three adults to give them what they wanted. Childish, quite so… terrifyingly so. Seeing they wouldn't get what they claimed, they set into motion again, finding their way into the living room’s floor and swimming trough it toward the screaming Grace and wide-eyes Sebastian. Both of them Backed away, back towards the kitchen, towards the front door to leave, but they could not turn they eyes from the angel, and the children

One of them, extend it’s arm to catch Gracy’s foot. “YIKES!” She screamed when the cold and rude touch of the wood held claim to her ankle. Without losing one minute, Sebastian closed his fist and bashed hard in the living wood’s arm, which broke into pieces. The Angel yelled a shriek of pain, and out from the broken arm came a crimson red flow of blood that raised a feet high before falling back down, and immediately fuse with the floor, while the hand still attached to Gracy’s foot turned to ashes, and the poor child cowered back In tears. The others were not so scared, and continued on, but to Grace and sebastian’s relief, they appeared unable to leave the living room, as if an invisible barrier separated the two rooms, a barrier upon which they all repeated bashed and knocked themselves on in a fierce frenzy and burning wrath. The chant was no longer, it was replaced, by wicked screams and shrieks that were beyond the human’s scope of sounds. It could in no way be emitted by a human.

They could only thank god, when they were at last outside, the door didn't seem to interfere in any way. The stars shined bright in the sky and all returned to complete silence…

“I do NOT wish to have children anymore!” Gracy said sharply.

“Children?” Said Sebastian wondering.

“Yes. didn't you see them?” She inquired.

“Yes. But, I believe they may not have been, children” He added, still not voicing his tough. “What if they were, our African fey folks?”

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev | next »