Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

GK4: Reflections and Shadows

Prologue

by Theresa Wilson, published on December 25, 2000

Shadows and Reflections. Reflections and Shadows. How well those words fit together.

A large gray area in between good and evil. The day and the night. Darkness and light are simply too old to describe the delicious horror THEY will cause.

Gabriel tossed and turned away from the wall of his bedroom that had windows. He didn't want any animals peering at him through the thin curtains. Moonlight brought out the worst of the dark bedroom, causing an odd blindness that would keep anyone from seeing through it.

The people, the ballroom. Oh, those screams of anger would not leave his psychic dreams. But, he could not focus on them. But, somebody else was.

Grace was moaning and trying to stay asleep at the same time as she pushed away her dreams of an (could you call it an attack). The sleeping pills had helped to keep her relaxed, but becoming frustrated can keep sleep from really being a relief. She'd be even more tired tomorrow than she'd been for the last two months.

Her sudden need to run and wash her face woke her up. She went to the joined bathroom and washed her face and brushed her teeth again. Her mouth felt sore. Seeing she was still in her clothes, she grabbed her shorts and sleep shirt and changed before going back to sleep.

The clock showed she'd only been asleep for two minutes. If this was the way her life was now, she wished she'd never met Gabriel Knight. She wished she never shared his mysteries or his friendship. She wished she'd never left Rennes-le-Château and gone to India.

She could never be a help fight for people against powers of darkness. She had no skill and no right. Grace could not do the training and Chadrel had told her it was wrong for her to turn her back on what training she'd had so long ago.

It had only been two years ago she'd listened to her parents to stop their feud with her grandparents. Mom's parents held the key to the door of opportunity. The key was a necklace, a long, rough silver icicle that was sometimes called a primitive shape-shifter fang.

Stop thinking., Grace told herself.

Gabriel was suffering worse than her. Maybe it was only a dream, but he was always there begging for the sense of danger and bad dreams to stop along side her own. He must know something was going on.

Why were people being attacked and growing sick? Only she saw that from the police report that her boss' son had left on the desk at the Historical Society Office here in Huntington, Penn.

The attacks were like the one from eight years ago. Now, she had dreams of six maybe seven people involved in the same situation and kept finding herself believing she was those people. She closed her eyes and stopped thinking about her how their hearts must have ached.

Gabriel, just sleep., Grace told him as she drifted back to sleep. You can stop dreaming about this and shut it out just like anything else. I always do. That's why I'm not insane or enslaved yet.

Man, I don't even know what I'm thinking., Grace told herself. Just go to sleep.

Gabriel stopped moving and slept for the rest of the night.

Grace fell completely asleep and dreamed of Oslo Ritter and his doomed family again. And, the scream of a young woman that worked the un-natural side of life. A girl with yellow hair and blue eyes that worked to destroy a force of darkness that was used to shadow gray areas in moral thinking. The gray area was called power.

But, power had another definition to an animal. It meant you were stronger and able to survive.

It was that twisted thinking that led animal-like instincts with a human mind to be a twisted almost human creature that wanted its final battle with the Ritter family.

This was not an epic battle. It was a lesson in just another day in life. That's what Grace thought. And, she knew her grandparents would agree.

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

next »