Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

GK4: Reflections and Shadows

Part 2

by Theresa Wilson, published on January 18, 2001

In India, Chadrel was nice enough. But, Grace felt listless even with the new surrounding to explore and the Buddhist relief around her. Something inside changed while she trained with Chadrel.

First, just like Gabriel's family, there was vows to be taken and rituals to go through. Chadrel. explained that taking the vows filled your whole life. You would probably live and die to fight evil. That meant gaining the ability for your mind to become a window to warnings. In other words, psychic powers.

Second, Grace could not do anything right. The monks used practicing with archery, fencing, and chess as ways to help sharpen the mind and become better problem solvers. Grace was one of the best new trainees, if not the best by Chadrel.'s words.

She always got her arrows to hit inside the diameter of the third circle from the bullseye. That would do injury to anything she hit, a monster maybe. She won more than half her matches in fencing, but had the odd behavior to swing the sword up then down above her head as she settled onto the floor kneeling with both knees. And, chess was not a game, but more of a battle.

This rose comments among the monks. They asked her why she acted this way. She needed peace to be one of them. Instead, she acted like some animal defending her territory. An animal ready to scratch and claw to rescue someone on terms the monks did not understand.

Chadrel. left her alone for two days and came back during the night. Grace had brought out the two swords from some old artifacts laying in a collection room that the monks owned.

"So, you might just be a Sword Dancer?" Chadrel. asked from behind her.

Grace had jumped and opened her mouth in surprise. "How do you know what a sword dancer is?"

Chadrel. laughed. "I've heard of this dance art. But, did you know it was a fighting form that was used by many feared warriors or soldiers from Japan and Europe?"

"Yes." Grace nodded. "My mother's parents both have used the European method for years. My father's parents use the traditional Japanese form. Both are quite different, but each can be effective if you train hard. It's no different form Tai Chi to me. I've learned all three martial arts styles easily."

"But, with martial arts, it's not only the fighting that becomes part of you. It's a way of life." Chadrel said.

Grace was confused. Was he going to give her another insightful lecture? Or was this something she'd rather not hear.

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev | next »