Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

GK4: Reflections and Shadows

Part 3

by Theresa Wilson, published on January 21, 2001

Grace was suddenly struck with the understanding that Chadrel knew of her doubts and the other things she'd been hiding. She hoped no one would notice that she had begun to be turned away from the idea of being a supernatural detective, as the monks go. The idea of psychic powers scared her. To have something she could not hold and control, being an instrument, was against her religious and human beliefs. It made her stay up a few nights thinking about what kind of independence she wanted.

Let's see., she think to herself, counting on her fingers. Freedom to be an adult, get away from my parents rules of traditional Japanese woman's ideals, Get Mom to respect me. Get away from Gabriel and his unattractive influence., Grace had laughed. Especially, after we used each other like that. Enhance on the WE. I did some wrong there, but I'll get over it.(Sorry, you'll have to play GK3 to find out.) Able to be myself. Keep my promise to Grandpa and Grandma of helping to find the Moon Dog wall hangings. Keep my friends close to me. Leave that awfully nerdy Grace behind and just be who I am now.

Grace knew who she was now and had decided to think about leaving, but not without good wishes between her and her new friends here in India. She didn't want to leave without a goodbye. This time, things would be different.

"Yes, when you make such a choice, it does become your life." Grace agreed. "Martial Art is a way of a warrior or once was. You train to become somebody in a way you believe you should be. But, sometimes that means giving away ideas or hobbies you'd like to have. And, that's something I can't do, Chadrel"

He nodded. "I have heard the female of the species is much more dangerous than the male." he laughed. "And, you fight that way. With your sword, you become a predator stalking her next meal. It is instinct that guides you and maybe survival training or experience of living in the wild."

He stared at her, not knowing how to phrase his next words. "You indeed know how to how to be a Sword Dancer. Grace, you fight in that fashion, but you do it as if it is a show. I believe you are not a true Sword Dancer, but some kind of hybrid of practicing the art and not developing it. Are you ashamed that there were bands of Sword Dancers that ended evil and helped to save people from darkness?"

Grace did not understand how he had guessed she was somehow ashamed of Sword Dancing. It must have shown on her face. Well, her grandpa had been looking for those wall hangings and wanted her help. And, he had told her he'd be happy if she'd finish her last lessons of Sword Dancing.

In her family, on both sides, Sword Dancing was only a fighting form and leisure of training. They weren't like that old band of Sword Dancers that had been in the Moon Dog wall-hanging that had helped and hunted with the supernatural animals. Besides, that was a story.

But, Sword Dancing was an effective art of deception, allowing you to become like a hunter bent on getting it's prey and it could come in handy for what Grace had decided to do. Helping to stop evil, but in a lesser way, by hunting down supernatural animals or putting certain spirits or ghosts. That fit more into her thinking with Japanese stories and her own beliefs of real and un-real.

"I'm not ashamed of Sword Dancing." Grace complained. "It's more like a family ordeal and being separated from what I love."

Chadrel nodded. He left his student and went to bad.

Grace stood there, wondering what Chadrel had thought. Instead, she picked up the swords. One, long and with a curved edge of the Arabian nights. Two, the long sword of medieval stories of armies and maybe King Arthur.

She kneeled down on both knees. Then, she raised her arms together, making the swords clack in respect. The Honor Position. To honor an opponent or just to show respect to your dance partner. Of course, she only really used it as a dance move.

She jumped up. Pushing one arm in front of the other as she walked slowly across the floor, she heard the swords only slightly ring together as they barely touched. She spun in a pirouette, a dance move where you turn around in a circle, and jumped up. She turned head over heels in the air and landed into a kneel on one knee.

"I know I can do these moves." Grace said. "But, I don't think I'd be that good at fighting someone. The only people whom I have done this with were my family. And, now I know Mom is getting ready to almost disown me. It makes you wonder where family really lies."

Only with my Grandparents, my brother, and a few friends., she thought, almost sad. More like numb. Either that, or Grace did not care about losing her parents, since that might be the cost for living her life.

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev | next »