Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

GK4: Reflections and Shadows

Part 6

by Theresa Wilson, published on January 31, 2001

Grace started her car again and headed for the large clearing just outside the town of Copper. She inserted a tape of mixed songs and listened to one called FALLING UNDERGROUND.

"Sounds like a heroine from a fantasy novel dancing to get her animals to pay attention to her. Maybe Moon Dogs." Grace smiled. "Now, that I've been here for two months, Grandpa almost has our families Moon Dog wall hangings back in our possession. There were thirteen of them and we only have seven. And there may be one in that police auction that I read about in the paper."

She stared out the window. "I just hope I find it before some louse tries to grab it." She was angry about that.

In Sword Dancing, you could not carry that title until you completed training. And, Grace had neglected her training that had started at five-years-old. But, only because Harvard had called.

Well, she'd finished the last two lessons. They were just to hone your skills at positions, depending on Japanese or European fashion. Grandpa had proudly made her do both, so that had been four lessons in all.

He was pleased to call her a true Sword Dancer now. It was so important in tradition for a child in the Nakimura family to be a Sword Dancer. And, her father was truly the last Nakimura to honor it so greatly.

However, her brother, Eric, was even better. He and Grace were the best Sword Dancers as far as their maternal grandparents and parents were concerned. Grace Mom and Dad were quite proud, but had been angry by her next declaration.

"I will not marry anyone except a man I help to choose and for nothing less than love." she had proudly told them. Her father had been angry, but her mother winked. They had come to except her position. Eric had cheered her on.

Since then, Grace had worked with a close friend, Celeste Amberly, to look into occurrences of ghosts and strange events of the supernatural. Celeste was a physic, born with the ability to read feeling at times and caught strong urges of danger near something evil. She was an old friend that Grace had known forever. Always believing her, Grace never talked much about Celeste's instincts. Why call them powers if they did not do much for Celeste herself?, was her sense.

Since Celeste had once worked as a police officer(she'd never stayed to become a detective), a auditor, and a file clerk with the I.R.S., she was perfect a licensed private investigator. Mostly, she took these cases to ease fear out of people who were either crazy or just imagining things. But, she'd seen a few REAL cases and had priests come to help put old spirits to rest.

The two women were a perfect match. They weren't interested in terribly complicated cases, but were except a challenge. They only wanted to help people and the cause for fighting for good was a very loyal cause in their lives.

But, Grace did not think of this. Instead, she looked to the clearing and saw Shawna and Ken.

"Hi." she called getting out of the car. They were looking very angry.

"What is this about?" Ken demanded.

He watched as Grace played with her long pony tail. Hair extensions looked good on her, especially since her own hair had not grown out much in the last four months she'd been letting it go wild.

"I understand you want to stop that recycle center. But, I came to tell you a secret." Grace smiled sadly. She was going to break off both friendships before she left her.

"That recycle center won't be anywhere near the old town. Instead, there's a company here in town that wants to own the original village structures. Grigg Inc. has been seeing the mayor and the city council to buy the land there and in the surrounding area, such as the pond and the old style homes. Like Oslo and Marissa Granger's property."

"I don't understand why you're still friends with them." Shanwa said. She and Ken were Grace's new friends. Grace should ditch her boring old friends and start to party instead of working all the time.

"Because I know who my friends REALLY are." Grace said. "Anyway, the Historical Society, my bosses, are trying to stop them. We are putting on a special historical play that will make funds to use to pay for the land so the town finally owns it. The original owner's family had the property for years. Although, it's an historical landmark, it's not recognized because there is no paperwork for that. We're buying it and going to make sure it is never bought or destroyed."

Shawna and Ken perked up at this. "Great. Can we help?" Ken said.

He was so snobby, being from such a rich family. It made for a violent temper that used alot of curse words. Grace was glad she would no longer be his friend. "Yes. You could try out for the play because we recently lost some backstage help and actors. Auditions are soon the date will be announced in the local paper."

"Now, I have to say good-bye." Grace said. But, this time she did not feel bad. "I like both of you, but you aren't my friends. You're okay to hang out with and that's about it. Lately, you act so out of control I see we shouldn't be anywhere near each other."

Shawna laughed. "Oh, true enough Princess Grace. We are a bit different. I was going to tell you the same thing. SEE YA AROUND."

"Thanks for the info." Ken said.

Watching them, without much surprise, Grace waved them away as they piled into an expensive sports car and rolled away.

"You're going at least forty miles over the speed limit." she shouted as they roared away past her and shook all the remained Fall leaves. A swirl of gold, yellow spotted with black and green, red, brown, an odd purple, and pine needles showered everywhere. It was actually fantastic and a sight Grace had never seen.

The wind almost whispered secrets. There was a rise of in-human howling into lyric voices that sang a song of happiness. The sounds of romping and growling for food was heard.

Grace shook away the noise. But, she couldn't stop the scary cold around here or the fear of her flashbacks of nighttimes of terror.

Those noises and those emotions had been in her dreams last night and in a sudden flashback she'd had. Something would remind her of an event from these dreams she now considered to be SHARED MEMORIES. There was at least five maybe six of the same people in her dreams. The events were now starting to come together and were all in an artist pad Grace used as a private diary.

Her mind quickly flashed out any bad feelings or shakiness. She could not dwell on these things or she'd become unable to make her own choices in what to do. That's something she'd learned training with Chadrel.


(Author's note: welcome a surprise)

Driving down the roads of Pennsylvania small town was actually fun. Gabriel was enjoying it more since he was on a motorcycle instead of a car. There were no windows.

Best of all, it wasn't cold like it was in Rittersberg. He'd needed a vacation after all his endless writing to publish his new Blake Backlash adventure\mystery. VAMPIRE MASQUERADE IN HISTORY was not only a great title, it was a much greater book. His detailing and use of words had improved so greatly that his agent, Montey, could not wait to see it in print.

"Like I need more money. What am I, some kinda dang rich kid like the idiots I've met here?" he gasped in mock horror. He laughed at his comment and kept going through the area.

In some spots, the sparse forest became dark and like a true representation of the homes for things in his imagination that helped him to write his horror novels. But, now, he forgot about all of that was actually light as a feather. For now.

"I really hate reality." he said outloud. "Well, a long vacation and Gran and Mosely with me should help clear the air. Maybe I'll change my life and become... a doctor with a wonderful wife like Donna Reed and ten wonderful children that never talk back."

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev | next »