Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

The Gray Path

Prologue

by Krss, published in Q1, 2001

Friday, 24th May 1994
Night of the Opera

The door of the furnace was open and the fire glowed as yellow as Gabriel's eyes.

Okay, here goes nothin'...

He couldn't believe there had actually been a time when he had been so sure about his choice. Strange what being in wolf form could do to one's mind.

He took a moment to listen to the adrenaline that hummed through his veins. He rose his snout and sniffed the air for the sheer pleasure of it. There was the faint smell of some janitors in the lobby, which told him the greater mass of people had left. The discernible scent of the chase through the basement. Little draughts of fresh night air that smelled of freedom.

But all were drowned by the all-mighty, salty, heavy stench of fear that filled the room like fog.

It came from the two humans. He made another small movement and was hit by new waves of fear. Never in his life had he felt so powerful. It was unfamiliar and scary, but it fulfilled a desire within that he had never known to exist.

I'll be damned if I wanna give it up right now.

His gaze moved around the room and met the fiery gaze of the Black Wolf.

"I am Death," Gabriel said. "Are you ready to go?"

The fire in the eyes did not falter as they delivered their response.

"No, you will not take me now."

Grace was waiting for Gabriel to act. After all, she had opened the furnace door for him and it was his turn now. Wait a minute... wasn't there something she could do? She felt the warm metal of the talisman on her chest. Of course, she was wearing it under her Opera dress! Why hadn't she thought of it earlier?

Trying to move as inconspicuously as she could, she began to slowly pull at the chain around her neck until she uncovered the talisman and grabbed it in her hand.

"Keep that gun down and watch the Black Wolf." Her voice was low and Leber had to strain his ear to catch the final whispered words.

Grace threw the talisman at von Glower.

Gabriel instinctively withdrew a few steps and averted his eyes while the heavy piece of metal flew across the room. He risked a look towards Friedrich and saw he was all right.

He didn't stop to think why the talisman had had no effect. As the two humans' attention was focused on von Glower, Gabriel squeezed past them and dashed through the door into the theatre foyer. He didn't slow down until he was safe out of the building and in the street, and soon von Glower was by his side.

That night the moonlight revealed two huge dogs running together in a frenzy along the deserted streets of Munich.

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

next »