Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

The Gray Path

Chapter 1

by Krss, published in Q1, 2001

Saturday, 25th May 1994

It was late at night and the fire was burning cheerfully in the fireplace at the hunting lodge in the Naturpark Schwäbisch-Fränkische Wald. Gabriel and von Glower were seated in two leather armchairs in front of it.

Gabriel welcomed the tranquility after the delirious running of the night before. No, it wasn't the right choice of words. Delirious persons didn't remember the vivid details like he did now...

.. Two naked men sneaking into the dark hallway of von Glower's mansion like guilty little boys. Thank God there wasn't anybody awake at that hour to laugh at the sight. They rushed straight to the bedroom and emerged fully dressed. A quick trip to the kitchen to grab a small package of food and they jumped into Friedrich's car and off to the hunting lodge.

Gabriel was now relaxing by the fire, at ease in the only set of von Glower's clothes that fitted him and feeling a little drowsy. He had slept the day away in that armchair, a restless, fragmented sleep, but it had helped. The chill in his bones wasn't as unbearable as before, when he used to shiver in bed for days with only dark thoughts and Grace for company.

Gawd, it's good to be alive.

Friedrich's sat down in the armchair next to him, appraising him with a warm smile. Gabriel's sleepy mind suddenly wondered something.

"Say, Friedrich's, how d'you get away after I left last night at the theater?"

"Oh, it was quite simple. I'm afraid the delightful Kommissar is not in his youthful prime any more..."

Gabriel grinned.

".. And your little friend was all too glad to make way. I waited to see you safe, because alone you would have been an easy prey to Leber." He let out a small laughter. "And I who thought the evil significance of the black would jump to his attention immediately..."

"Yeah, I saw that gun givin' me the eye. Such luck that Gracie tried to use the talisman on you. Didn't come as a big surprise, though, I mean she had already screwed up once..."

"Are you serious? I had gotten quite a different impression from the way you described her that night at my place. She seemed to be the... um... competent type."

"Uh... take my word on this one."

"Aren't you going to write to her, tell her that you're safe?"

"It can wait. Besides, she'd be here on the doorstep the very next day after my writin' to her - 'Hi there guys, I found this place by smellin' the envelope', or whatever."

Friedrich's got up and went to the bar.

"Would you like some more beer?"

"As a matter of fact, yeah, thanks. Let's put my new cah-pacities to the test."

They smiled at each other.

After von Glower returned with the two kegs of beer, they sat silent for a while. All the things that had never been said floated in the air between them.

Gabriel was staring into the fire, remembering the night of the performance and the chase in the theatre basement. If he hadn't been so intent on trapping von Glower he would have noticed even then that the Black Wolf had given up and had let Gabriel decide their common fate. He had watched his Beta close the doors around him and lead him to the furnace room, all the time hoping for a change in his decision. And he had made no attempt to escape, even if he obviously had enough strength to throw a door open.

And he had returned the Ritter talisman.

It was as if Friedrich's had gotten tired of searching for a new companion and he had put his last hope in Gabriel. If Gabriel had chosen not to join him, he would have welcomed death.

Or was this just Gabriel's wishful thinking? Did he secretly desire for someone to consider him as important as life itself?

Hell, I have Gracie for that.

He looked left and was taken aback by meeting von Glower's deep blue eyes studying him.

What is it about his eyes? It's like he can see right through me...

He cleared his throat.

"I was wonderin', ever since that night at your place, about how the talisman had no effect on you. I mean, it hurt my eyes when Gracie pulled it out and threw it towards you."

"You are too new and inexperienced with your new abilities. I have had a long time to adjust to them and control my condition... well, some of it, anyway. You will learn to do that in time, I am sure of it."

Gabriel brushed his hair and shifted nervously in the armchair. "I'd really rather not be thinkin' about the future."

"As for the talisman, like I said in my letter to you, it was easier not to fight its light..."

"Wait a minute... what letter? I didn't receive any from you!"

"You didn't? Oh... I understand. Your friend thought of your well-being."

"Hey!! You wrote me a letter and Grace didn't show it to me? Damn her, what gave her the right to play God?!" Gabriel got up and began to pace the room up and down furiously. "I'll tell that woman a word or two..."

"Please, Gabriel, you will have to try to suppress your anger. You wouldn't want to become a second Garr." There was a muffled sadness in the baron's voice.

Gabriel reluctantly stopped and seated himself. Von Glower's voice had a weird soothing effect upon him. He felt his anger go away as quickly as it had come.

"What did you write me in that letter?"

"I think it is of little importance now that we are together."

"C'mon Friedrich's, how can you say that? You don't know how I waited for that letter!" Realizing his slip, he looked away in embarrassment.

The baron looked at him and smiled a relieved pleasant smile. "I'm glad... Well, if you are so interested, perhaps when you decide to write to Grace you can ask her for it."

A new silence fell. The nerve on that woman, to hide something like that from him! Why did she open it in the first place? Isn't mail privacy guaranteed anymore?

Not for werewolves, it seemed. Ah well, he'd have that letter out of Grace in no time. If only he could make himself write to her, that is.

He swept aside these thoughts and looked around. The lodge had surely seen more cheerful days, with hunting club members roaming all over the place, laughing, talking, drinking, unaware of the wolves among them.

"Friedrich's, aren't you gonna send word to the members of the club that you're alive? They must be pretty confused without you."

"In fact, I already did, today. You were sleeping. I called Gunther... my butler."

"Did you learn somethin' new? What did the police and the press say about the... er... events?"

"The general public doesn't seem to know anything about what really happened down there at the Opera House. Why don't you see for yourself?" and von Glower handed Gabriel a newspaper.

A large heading on the first page caught Gabriel's eye, next to a very ugly real-life picture of Leber. "Sorry to bother, but, ya know, this is all German to me."

Friedrich's smiled at him and took the offered paper. "'The two wolves sighted last night in the Wittelsbacher Theater basement are still nowhere to be found.'"

"What does the article say?"

"It goes like this... 'It is believed that the two wolves may be the ones gone missing four months ago from the Talkirchen Zoo. Kriminalkommissar Leber of the München police force declares that the wolves are apparently no longer a threat - there haven't been any mutilation killings for the last two months.'"

"The poor sucker, what could he possibly declare?" smirked Gabriel. He took the newspaper back and leafed through it. "Hey, it says somethin' about you here."

"Really, nothing to worry about. 'Unfortunately, aristocratic opera lover baron von Glower felt very ill during act 3 of tonight's performance and withdrew early.'"

"Then I think we're safe, at least for now. But I hate it when I think they actually believe us to be responsible for those sick killin's."

"It is disturbing, I know. And it's been a rough time, especially for you. I see the illness has consumed you during the time we were apart. So, as much as I would enjoy sitting here and talking to you, I'm afraid it's time for us to go to sleep now. There will be other evenings."

"Okay, I admit I'm like talkin' in my sleep. Let's go."

They climbed the creaking old wooden staircase to the first floor.

"I think I'll accommodate you in what used to be Hennemann's room, it's right next door to mine. Feel free to knock anytime you need something."

"Thanks," and Gabriel reached out to shake hands.

Friedrich's took Gabriel's hand between both his own and looked him deep in the eyes.

"I'm really glad that you joined me. I was hoping that you would," he said softly. "Oh, and about the opera... it was entertaining. I wouldn't have missed it for anything. Good night, Gabriel." And with that he turned around and entered his room.

Gabriel laid on the bed and covered himself with two warm blankets, but sleep didn't come for a long time.

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev | next »