Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

The Gray Path

Chapter 2

by Krss, published in Q1, 2001

Saturday, 25th May 1994
Same day

Grace was in the furnace room and the weak flames cast grotesque lights and shadows over things. The lump of coals looked like a fresh grave at night and occasionally when the light fell upon the two huge dark silhouettes it revealed their strong white fangs.

She was waiting for Gabriel to act, but something was wrong. He turned to von Glower and growled something. Grace watched in horror as the Black Wolf leapt at her throat. She couldn't move or shout for help. The last thing she saw before it all went black was Gabriel watching her with an amused expression...

And she woke up in a cold sweat.

Damn you Gabriel, your betrayal haunts me even when I sleep!

She had had a nervous breakdown after the shock of seeing Gabriel run away with the Black Wolf. In the end, worrying about her mental health, Gerde had given her some sleeping pills. "You need to rest now, Grace. It will be all right, just sleep for a little while." The little white pills would make everything okay.

Yeah, right. It isn't okay. Not by far. She let out a nervous giggle when she remembered how Gabriel had said those very words when she had tried to... what... soothe him? Be a good mother? Tell the little boy that he had seen the last of the big bad wolf coming down the chimney? Well, he wasn't so scared of the wolf after all. That little piggy went oink oink oink all the way to the wolf's lair. She hit the bedside in frustration.

"Grace, are you awake?"

"Come on in, Gerde... I'm not sleeping," said Grace in a tired voice.

The blonde young woman entered the room with an expression of concern.

"I heard you, Grace. It is not good to keep it inside. You have to take care of yourself. It is the only way you can get Gabriel back."

"How could I get him back? He doesn't want to come back! He's happy somewhere, running around on all fours with the other beast, ripping children's throats open!"

"You should never think that way. Gabriel knows about the curse of eternal damnation."

"Yeah, I know that, and I only hope he isn't that stupid. A very faint hope, knowing Gabriel."

"I think Herr Knight just ran away for a little while to live something new, but I expect him to walk in through the main entrance at any moment."

"I'm not so sure... But he'd better come to his senses quickly, before he has the chance to... I can't even bear to think about it." She paced nervously up and down the room. "He hasn't even sent a word, he should know I'm worried sick."

"Give him some time, Grace. Go outside for a little, get some fresh air, talk to people. It will make you feel better. The Smiths are still at the Gasthof. They said they would stay in Rittersberg for a while to see if they can help."

"Thank you, Gerde. I think I'll go for a walk. Don't worry about me, I survived a Voodoo cult, I'll survive this."


Grace slowly made her way down to Rittersberg. She entered the Gasthof and was greeted by three pairs of concerned eyes.

"You shouldn't look at me that way! I screwed up! After all my training I failed Gabriel and Ludwig and everyone else," she scowled, almost in tears.

Mrs. Smith approached her and led her to the dining table. "Come now, my dear, you know you're wrong. You did your best, but, as I told you before, there was nothing you could do, Gabriel chose for himself."

"If only I had researched a little on the Wittelsbacher Theater! But no, I was too concerned about Gabriel to even think of anything else. I relied entirely on Wagner's plans. I don't even know if the diagram would've worked on the old theater."

"Stop torturing yourself about this, dear. Even if the diagram had worked, do you think it would've been any different? After all, that von Glower did eventually transform into a wolf. And if Gabriel had wanted it, he could've pushed him into the furnace at the end. But he didn't, and you can't blame yourself for his choice."

"He took the easy way out, as always. And now he's out there having fun and running with the wind and I'm stuck here in the damn castle with no news of him and practically no leads. Why do I always put up with this?"

"Oh, darling... This is the way of love!"

Tired of useless arguments, Grace let it go with only a brief snort. She slowly got up and started towards the door. "I'm going out of town for a while, I'll see you later."


Grace climbed into Gabriel's car and headed for Munich. After a few times of stopping and asking for directions she eventually reached Ubergrau's office. She cast a disapproving glance at the scantily dressed young secretary who led her into the office.

"Hello, you must be Fraulein Nakimura, nice to meet you. I am Harold Ubergrau. Have you come to talk to me about Gabriel?"

"Hello, Herr Ubergrau. Yes, as a matter of fact I have."

"Please have a seat."

Grace had one.

"Now, what was it you wanted to know?"

"It's difficult to explain, Herr Ubergrau..."

"Call me Harry."

"Okay, Harry. You see... Gabriel has disappeared."

"Was?!? What do you mean? I know he has been ill these two months, but... disappeared? How?"

"It's quite a long story, and believe me when I say it's not pretty to hear. But that's why I came to see you. I believe you can help me find him."

"This is all so sudden... but of course I'll do all I can to help."

"I believe he told you about a certain hunting club he was a member of."

"Ja, he did ask me once to translate a name of a hunting club from German, but I hadn't known he had become a member."

Grace gave him an eager look. "Didn't he mention anything at all that could give me a lead to him?"

"Let me think... the last time I saw Gabriel was when he came for the result of the research. I read the file to him and... ja, he recognized a forest mentioned there. He told me he was going to the Bavarian National Forest that very afternoon."

"Did he tell you where exactly in the forest?"

"No, and it wouldn't have been proper of me to ask him. But he worried me."

"Oh, then what was the research about?"

"It was about all the missing persons cases that had occurred around or in German forests over the past 10 years. It seemed that all the cases had taken place near two large forests: der Naturpark Schwäbisch-Fränkische Wald and der National Bayerische Wald. I'm afraid this is all I can remember."

"You've helped me a great deal, thanks. I must go now. Oh... what was the address of that hunting club again?"

"Oh, I think Dienerstrasse, but I don't quite remember the number... 45? 54? Something like that. But... please be careful, Fraulein Nakimura."

"Believe me, Harry, I know what I'm doing. And you may call me Grace."


The entrance to the Royal Bavarian Hunting Club was guarded by a stiff and annoying-looking man who eyed Grace disdainfully.

"I'm sorry, Miss, but you have walked into a private club."

"I know, I just need to speak to one of the members, please."

"Sorry, I can't let you in, this is a very restrictive club."

"But I'm a friend of one of the members, Gabriel Knight."

"Hmpf! Herr Knight isn't here at the moment. I really can't help you."

"May I ask what is going on here. Xavier my good man?" An elderly-looking gentleman with short grey hair and a large smile on his face had appeared in the doorway out of the club's private area.

"Herr Preiss, die Dame hier will mit Herrn Knight sprechen. Ich habe Ihr gesagt, dass er nicht hier ist, aber sie will nicht gehen." Grace understood he was complaining about her not wanting to leave.

Herr Preiss took his time to study Grace appreciatively, sending an uncontrolled shiver down her spine, then he turned back to Xavier.

"You should really watch your manners. If the lady is a friend of Herr Knight's, then she is a friend of ours. Please join me in the club meeting room, young lady." He grabbed Grace by the arm, leading her along.

"Herr Hennemann, meet one of Herr Knight's friends, Miss - er.."

"Nakimura. Grace Nakimura," said Grace, struggling to free her left arm from Preiss' hold while she politely offered her right one.

"How do you do, Miss Nakimura. My name is Hennemann. I'm afraid you have come at a bad time, Herr Knight isn't here."

"I'd gathered that much from your efficient doorman. Do you have any idea where I might find him?"

"I'm afraid I don't know, we haven't seen him in quite a long time. But then, he was only a guest at this club, so maybe he found other interests elsewhere."

Preiss put a hand around Grace's shoulders. "Well, Miss Nakimura, it seems like your plans are off for now, Wouldn't you like to go out for some coffee, or perhaps something to eat?"

"Oh, no, I wouldn't want to impose... On second thought, all right. Let's go."

The things I do for you, Gabriel! I amaze myself sometimes.


The dim light in the pub created an intimate atmosphere. Grace and Preiss were sitting at a table in the most secluded corner. Grace hadn't been there for more than half an hour but she was already fed up with his slimy ways.

She inhaled sharply, then pouted her lips and fluttered her eyelashes. ".. Oh, do tell me more about your hunting trips. They sound so interesting."

"At last, a girl who can appreciate the fine things in life! You are a rare bird, my lovely. What can I say... the latest hunting trip was about two months ago, in fact it was the last I saw of your friend Herr Knight."

"Really? And where did you go? Does the club own a lodge somewhere?"

"Ja, inside the Bavarian National Park. About three miles down the road that forks left from the main entrance. It's a quiet, secluded place where I get some time to myself..."

"It sounds like a nice place... Oh, look at the time, I really gotta run now. Please excuse me, Herr Preiss. It was nice dining with you."

"Perhaps some other time, then?", he took her hand and pressed it to his lips. Grace shuddered. "Sure, goodbye for now," and she hastened out into the street, rubbing her hand.

The warm and bright hall of Schloss Ritter felt like home, and Gerde greeted her with a smile.

"Have you been busy, Grace? Are you feeling better now?"

"Gerde, you'd better go to sleep early. We're going hunting tomorrow!"

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev | next »