Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

The Gray Path

Chapter 10

by Krss, published in Q1, 2001

Thursday, 29th May 1994
Later the same day

The huge cross that rose from the black waters of Starnberger See was almost a shadow against the scarlet sunset.

"Have this." Grace handed von Glower the small lily. "You know what to do. We'll wait here by the railing."

Gabriel took his lover's hand and gave him a long look. "Take care."

Friedrich smiled. "I will." He turned around and slowly walked to the shore. He knelt near the shallow water and placed the flower gently on the rippling surface.

Gabriel turned to Grace and saw she was biting her lip. He clutched at the banister and held his breath. Friedrich was down on one knee, head bowed, waiting.

The pressure in his lungs reminded Gabriel to breathe after a whole minute had crawled by.

"He ain't here, Grace... I don't think it's workin'."

"Maybe the lily isn't enough." She reached into her pocket and took out the silver fang, wrapped into a tissue. "I think this should go in the water too."

Gabriel took the tissue carefully and joined Friedrich on the small shore.

"And then get back here!! There's nothing else you can do!"

"Okay, okay..." He dropped the fang in the water and turned to go. But he had hardly taken two steps that he felt the hair rising on his neck. He turned around and gasped.

Ludwig was standing tall in front of von Glower's crouched body, white as a ghost, water dripping from his clothes. As he stretched out a ghostly wrinkled hand a drop fell into Friedrich's dark hair. Friedrich started and looked up in confusion.

"Stand back!" Gabriel shouted. "He's right in front of you!"

Von Glower retreated cautiously.

"Gabriel!!" Grace's voice rang shrill from behind. "It's coming!"

"What?!"

"The creature! Look!"

He looked.

"Oh hell!! Okay, Friedrich, try to talk to Ludwig. I'll keep it busy!"

The creature was approaching fast. Gabriel waded chest-deep into the lake, grabbed a handful of water and waited until it almost flew past him.

"Take this!"

The smoke that filled his eyes made him cry out in triumph. But the hurkila knew better the second time. It flew on, ignoring the wound and Gabriel's curses, towards the sole purpose of its existence.

"Into the water, Friedrich!! It can't get you here!"

Von Glower stood up and brushed past Ludwig as he dashed in Gabriel's direction. The creature took a quick turn and followed him. The silver thorn touched his hair.

He breathed convulsively and flung his head under water. The thorn came in contact with the surface and the creature rose in the air abruptly, leaving a trail of ashes behind. It started to fly in large circles over their heads.

Gabriel made his way to the spot where Friedrich had gone down and felt for him below the surface. He found his arm and he pulled it gently, motioning him to come out.

But Friedrich didn't come out.

Gabriel pulled harder. He moved his hand frantically towards his lover's face, but met something that didn't belong there. Another hand. Clutching at the neck.

He raised his gaze and cried in surprise as he saw Ludwig just centimetres away. His face was twisted in hatred and his teeth were clenched. While one of his hands pushed on Friedrich's head, holding him under water, the other one was clasping his throat viciously.

Gabriel could feel his lover's helpless underwater struggle. One of Friedrich's arms brushed over his chest.

"NO!! Stop!!"

He tried to pry the iron fist open, but that only made Ludwig's grip tighter.

"Damn you!! Stop I said!!" He heard himself sobbing.

A faint light started to shine around their heads. His heart jumped. The hurkila was back!

But it wasn't the hurkila. The tunnel of spirit was appearing for Friedrich

"NO!! You can't kill him! You can't!!"

Ludwig turned his yellow gaze into his. His white lips hadn't moved, but the thought rang into Gabriel's head.

Why not?

"Because... I LOVE HIM you son of a bitch!"

Was it just him, or had the yellow faltered a little?

The tunnel was coming down slowly, bathing them in eerie white light. There was no time!

"And you love 'im too!"

For a moment, Ludwig's eyes shined black, and he hesitated.

All right!

"You love 'im! You can't kill 'im! You love 'im, love, love, love..."

He went on and on, until the word 'love' had lost all meaning, but still he kept throwing it as three unknown sounds in that white cold face, while the tunnel descended inexorably upon them.

And only when he stopped in despair and exhaustion did he notice black had replaced yellow. He gaped at the sight of Ludwig's strong hands pulling Friedrich's head out of the water.

The tunnel of light slowed to a halt. Gabriel caught his breath.

The king wrapped his arms around his victim and lowered his lips into an unfeeling kiss. Gabriel saw Friedrich open his weary eyes in surprise, trying to understand. And then a dull needle stung his heart as his lover feebly raised his hands to encircle the other's waist and responded to the kiss.

From the safe distance of the railing, Grace watched as Friedrich's tongue caressed the air in maddening strokes, his eyes closed, pressing his body against something that escaped her sight.

The corner of her eye caught another movement from above. The creature!

"Gabriel!!"

Gabriel looked up and saw the gigantic stingray dropping steadily upon them. He croaked in warning. Friedrich tore himself gently from the kiss and looked Ludwig in the eyes. "Du musst jetzt gehen..." he muttered.

Finally Gabriel found his voice. "Friedrich, the creature! What 'cha doin'?!"

A white wing brushed cool air over Gabriel's forehead.

"Damn!"

He tried to reach his friend, pull him back under the water, but there was no time left. And then...

Ludwig stretched out a hand and touched the creature. The white fire spread through his arm inside his body, and his shape began to melt and merge with that of the hurkila. The fiery mass entered the heavenly tunnel and began its ascension to the sky.

The light hurt Gabriel's eyes, but he looked in fascination until the tunnel thinned and vanished into the darkness behind the clouds.


He laid Friedrich down on the sand, then he looked around for Grace. She was leaning against the railing, looking at them in triumph and despair. He got up and walked to her uneasily.

"You okay?"

"Yeah..." She eyed him in concern. "You?"

"I'm okay, but it was damn close..." He shuddered slightly.

"I know." She played with the chain of the talisman. "Well..."

"Well... do you need a lift?"

"Oh, no, not really... That's why I brought my car..."

"Oh, okay." He shifted on his feet. "Uh, then I'll just check on Friedrich, right?"

"Go ahead..."

He helped his friend up and placed one of his arms around his neck for support. They walked slowly, stopping from time to time for Friedrich to catch his strength, until they arrived in front of Grace.

Gabriel turned his head. "Keep in touch, right?"

"You bet."

"And, Gracie... take care of that talisman, will ya?"

She nodded.

"Well, see ya..."

Grace looked at them slowly limp into the shadows, keeping her tears inside until they disappeared from sight.

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev | next »