Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

Life

Part 1

by Rebel at Heart, published on November 18, 2001

Start entry

I always said it. Life’s a b*tch and don’t I know it.

The phone rings…..again. I smirk evilly and let it ring while stuffing my belongings in a suitcase. Not that I own so many. It’s more that I hire so many. Oh the pleasures of collage life and its many, did I mention ? MANY books. I know its in the middle of the school year and that I am throwing away one year of my life by taking a sabbatical, but geez cut a girl some slack.

The humongous pile of books which I happened to be supporting in my arms just clattered down the stairs, Sighing I raised my hands towards the heavens and shrugged.

Silence, I forgot how good it sounded. My cell phone has just decided to finally end its miserable existence by throwing itself out of my sixth floor apartment window, with a little help off-course but that’s our little secret. Rejuvenated by the thought that I wont have to deal with mother dearest for two days I bound down the stairs and collect my books which lay scattered all over the floor. Just as I am about to pick the last one of my lost sheep up a male hand snatches it from the floor. Its owner decides to stick his nose in my business and skims thru it before returning.

Naturally my departure from New York couldn't be a quiet non embarrassing one. The book he picked up was THE one. You see its like this

When I was sixteen I had this weird obsession with the occult, since I had this weird dream. Very juvenile I know. Living in New York does have an advantage, you can find a bookstore for every genre ever written. I found this quaint little magic shop where they also sold books. The man running the shop creeped me out…seriously. This weirdo came over to me when I was looking at the books on display and starts to mumble something about destinies and open roads, after he finishes mumbling he gives me this book about magic. The man mumbling to me didn't really creep me out but that he gave me the book for free did. I mean a New Yorker giving something away ? Bloody unlikely I’d say but it happened.

Anyway the man starts snickering and calling his palls about the weirdo witch woman. Normally I would have had a snappy reply ready for him and talk myself out of it. Fighting on the phone with my mother however drained me.

This man was seriously getting on my already short nerves. I dealt with him fast and hard. I walked over to him and said ‘ Give my book back NOW’ in my best threatening voice. The poor bastard thought he could make a fool out of me some more so he starts snickering at me and asking what I would do if he didn't .

Well I did something. I kicked him in the shins, then calmly picked up my book and put it in the box with the rest. With a superior smirk on my face I walked out.

Ok everything was packed, my car was filled up and my mother would grant me two days of peace before she would be worried and sick an entire swat team on me. Yes life was good once again as I finally left New York in search of ….what actually?, I still don’t know what I'm looking for. Life I think. Being half Japanese is all fine and dandy but having a overprotective mother who’s favourite pastime is setting her daughter up with guys she isn't..

After a long and tiring journey I finally arrived at .. something that dared to call itself an apartment, in the grand city New Orleans. Ok not so grand but still a nice change for me. Exhausted I fell to my bed and slept peacefully after I had managed to lug my belongings to safety once more.

The next couple of days I spend moving in and basically making a couple of adjustments to make it acceptable. After the home-front had been established, some kind of steady income would be nice so I walked down and into the street in search of a paper stand. After quite a long search I finally found one and was more then happy to discover that they also sported a New York paper, I bought a local one for the job ads and a New York one for the news. I skimmed thru the job pages until one kind of jumped up and bit me. A bookstore? Ah it was worth the shot.

The next day already I could start, the man who owns the place exactly fit my expectations after I spoke to him on the phone. Our phone conversation had been short to say the least. I think I barely finished the sentence ‘ Hello I'm calling about the ad’ before he already said ‘ Hired’.

Amused by his reaction I decided to go. .. there were two chances. Or he was just another uninterested male or he was dearly in need of an employee.

I think I'm glad I took this job, not that it pays much and despite the totally dens boss that comes along with it its just well fun.

End of entry.

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

next »