Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

Reinvention of the soul

Prelude to Reinvention, part one

by Shakar, published from June 18, 2003 to July 31, 2003

Two years later, when Gabriel and Grace made up. They have been a couple ever since. Like any relationship, they had their ups and downs, especially with Grace's stubbornness and Gabriel's laid-back attitude. They had fights that would make an entertaining reality show! But the quarrels would end quickly with laughing and passionate lovemaking. Everything seemed to go well until. September 11. Gabriel and Grace were watching some German comedy that didn't seem funny. Then all of sudden: BREAKING NEWS

Gabriel: Ah man! I hate it when they do this!

Grace: (rolls her eyes) It's not the end of the world! I bet it's some car chase. (Grace's voice trailed away once she saw what it was about) Oh my God!

Gabriel: What the...?

At that moment the second plane crashed into the World Trade Center. Gabriel had that dark look in his eyes that made his green eyes turn to a dark brown.

Gabriel: This can't be happening. No way.

Grace: I. I. (on the verge of tears) my parents Gabriel, my parents!

Gabriel: Oh man! Hey, look at me (placing his hands on her cheeks). Everything's going to be fine, you'll see.

Grace: (tears running down her cheeks) But... what if... what if... (choking from her tears)

Gabriel: (wipes the tears away) I know they're fine. I can feel it. I'll call them right now.

Gabriel quickly calls. 'Please let them be all right. Please!' Grace was indifferent to her surroundings yet her attention was focused onto the screen that was flashing in front of her. Gabriel was still waiting for a response but to no avail.

All of a sudden Gabriel heard a loud cry in the living room. He left the phone and ran as fast as he could.

Gabriel: Gracie, you scared the hell out of me! What happe-?

Gabriel looked at the screen and all he saw was a thick cloud of dust and no buildings.

Gabriel: My God!

There was an eerie silence in the castle. Then Gabriel felt familiar warmth on his chest. It was the talisman and it was glowing. He then went to Grace quickly who was in complete shock.

Gabriel: Gracie.

Grace: (in a hoarse voice) You made the call right? Did you get an answer?

Gabriel: Grace. I -

Grace: (face filled with tears) Tell me Gabriel!! Stop beating around the bush!!! Just tell me! Did you get an answer?

Grace noticed the look in his eyes. They were so cold.

Gabriel: (in a shaky voice) No.

That did it. That word was like a thousand needles piercing at her heart. She couldn't control it anymore. She burst out with more sobs and tears.

Grace: This can't be. No. No.

Gabriel couldn't take it anymore himself. 'What can I do? I can't bring up some joke so she can laugh her way out of it. especially something like this!' All he could do was hug her and support her. And that's what he did. She held him so tight that the talisman imprinted on her skin.

Sobs continued and zoom onto screen showing replay of both towers collapsing


Their embrace was broken when they heard a knock from the door. Gabriel went towards the door.

Gerde: Gabriel, I saw what happened. How's Grace?

Gabriel: Well come in and look for yourself.

Gerde went in quickly and saw Grace's predicament.

Gerde: Oh Grace! (embracing her) I'm so sorry.

Grace: You don't need to.

Gabriel: Grace, we're jumping to conclusions. We don't know for sure. There's no point of mourning when we're not hundred percent sure. Honey, there's still hope.

Gerde: Gabriel's right. Have faith Grace.

Grace: (wiping her tears away) You're right. Both of you are right. Staying here and crying me eyes out won't do any good.

A phone rings from a distance. It echoes throughout the castle.

Grace: Is it me or do I hear the phone ringing?

Once it sank it in that it was real and not her imagination, she quickly sprinted to the nearest phone.

Grace: Hello!

Mrs. Nakimura: Grace?

Grace: Mom! (let out a sigh of relief) How are you? How's Dad? What's happening?

Mrs. Nakimura: Calm down Grace, one question at a time dear.

Grace: What do you mean calm down! I've been going crazy over here wandering if both of you being in the World Trade Center! Gabriel even called and there was no answer! What was I supposed to think?

Mrs. Nakimura: To be rational and wait until you have some proof, that's what!

Grace: Mom, under these circumstances nobody can be rational!! Unless you think I'm some kind of robot. What took you so long to call?

Mrs. Nakimura: I'm sorry Grace. I went to the market to get something. Your father and I didn't go to work. He's not feeling that well and I felt a little weird myself.

Grace: That's good to know. You don't know how relieved I am right now.

Mrs. Nakimura: I'm sorry. We're pretty lucky. I guess someone is watching over us.

Grace looked at Gabriel when she said this. 'I guess being with a Schattenjäger can do that.' She smiled.

Grace: I guess so.

Mrs. Nakimura: Well, I got to go and make your father some soup. Goodbye Grace.

Grace: Bye Mom.

Grace was trying to digest what happened these past few hours. 'Why can't I shake it off? They're fine that means I should be fine too.' The truth is it wasn't that easy. Gerde and Gabriel overheard the conversation and were relieved as well. The thing is... will Grace be ok? Gabriel came to her and enveloped his arms around her.

Gabriel: Soooo... what did I tell ya?

Grace: I know. I know. (sighs) You know what? I need a relaxing bath because my nerves are still tense.

She lets go of Gabriel's arms.

Grace: After that, why don't we go somewhere to celebrate? The theatre? Why don't we see a movie? Gerde can come too.

Gabriel: Grace, are you ok?

Grace: Of course I'm ok! There's nothing to be upset about.

She quickly went up the stairs. Gerde and Gabriel were confused with Grace's behavior. Gabriel was going up as well but Gerde stopped him.

Gerde: Gabriel, you've done your best. Let her relax. She's still shocked.

Gabriel: Who could've done such a thing?

Gerde: Sometimes we forget that the world has many evils that aren't supernatural. Grace was lucky. Imagine all those families who have lost their parents, uncles, aunts, cousins, and friends.

Gabriel: Makes you have an epiphany about life and your loved ones.

'What if Gracie was there? Or Gerde? Or even Gran? I couldn't live without them.'


Within a few weeks, Grace had been acting very strange. She had been putting a gap between Gabriel and herself. They didn't seem to click anymore. Gabriel tried to talk to her about it, but she would change the subject. Then Gabriel took matter into his own hands. He had realized some things himself. You could say he had an epiphany. Grace was on the computer when Gabriel came forward.

Gabriel: Gracie can I talk to you?

Grace: Sure, wait a sec. I'm busy.

Gabriel: Grace! This can't wait.

He shut down the computer.

Grace: I can't believe you did that! I was doing something really important!!

Gabriel: And what was it?

Grace: (hesitates) I was playing Tomb Raider.

Gabriel: Yeah, really important!

Grace: Ok! What is it that you need to tell me?

Gabriel: Well, I'm still shocked that you're actually going to listen so bare with me for a few seconds.

Grace: Ha ha. Very funny Knight. Now tell me.

Gabriel: Would you mind going somewhere with me tonight? You know, when a couple goes out? Now what is that called? I swear they had the answer to this on Jeopardy! Oh yeah... it's called a date! Something we haven't had in a long time.

Grace: Gabriel! I don't like the sarcasm.

Gabriel: Well at least there is some. It's like the Twilight Zone because I've not heard any from you lately and that is one of your many talents. (small pause) Come on Gracie. I'd really like it if we can go out together.

Grace: (looks at him and smiles) All right. Actually we do have a lot to talk about. There are some things that I need to tell you myself. And you're right. We haven't had a date for so long. I've missed it.

Gabriel: (with a huge grin) Great! We're going to a restaurant, and it's pretty fancy so you'll see me in a suit. I know. A real shocker huh? The reservation is at seven.

Grace: Ok. Then I'll see you downstairs when I'm ready. Gabriel: Ok.

Gabriel left. 'Ok! That went very smoothly. But tonight is going to be much harder! May God help me!'


A few hours before their date.

Grace's room was such a mess! Her whole wardrobe was all over the floor, bed, cabinet, and anyone would not be surprised if it wasn't on the ceiling or in the fireplace! She couldn't figure out what to wear. She tried on a few things. She looked herself in the mirror. 'Ugh... this makes look so... nun like! And I don't want to be a nun on this date!! This one is even worse!! Ahhh!!!'

Gabriel's room is the exact same thing, except he doesn't have dresses. 'This one makes me look like a priest! And I know I'm no priest! This one makes me look me like Mr. Rogers! Now we don't want that do we? Ah hah! This one is just right!'

It was about time to leave. Gabriel was downstairs waiting for Grace.

Gabriel: Come on Gracie! We're going to be late.

His loud voice trailed away when he saw Grace. She was a vision. 'Wow! Talk about killing a guy!' She was wearing a navy blue, thin-strapped, knee-length dress. He couldn't keep his mouth closed.

Grace: I know! I'm sorry. It just to-

Gabriel: It's ok. You look... you look surprising. I mean outrageously gorgeous!

Grace: (smiles) Well, you don't look bad yourself! I love in you that suit. Makes you look like James Bond.

Gabriel: We-

Grace: You know what? I take that back. Don't want that to get to your head!

Gabriel: (laughs) So shall we go?

Grace: Yes we shall.

They finally reach the restaurant. So far the date is going very well. Gabriel and Grace couldn't stop smiling. They were in heaven. Then came desert. Gabriel bought a rose and gave it Grace.

Gabriel: A rose for a rose.

Grace: Thank you. (pauses) This is one the best dates I ever had.

Gabriel: I agree. I think this is the first date that didn't include a small fight.

Grace: Yeah.

Gabriel takes the glass of wine and makes a toast.

Gabriel: To us.

Grace: To us.

Glasses clink and they drink to it. Right after that Grace's happiness seemed to disappear. She tried to hide the frown, but she couldn't.

Gabriel: What's wrong, Gracie?

Grace: Oh nothing.

Gabriel: Are you sure?

Grace: Yeah.

Gabriel didn't buy it. 'It's time. How should I say it?'

Gabriel: Well, I've something to ask you.

Grace: Well, I've something to tell you.

Both: You first! I insist!

They both started laughing.

Gabriel: I mean it Grace. You first.

Grace: Ok. 'Oh my God! How should I say it? This is so hard!' Well, there has been a gap between us these couple of months. I haven't been honest with you, about how I feel about certain things.

Gabriel: Like what?

Grace: After 9/11, I had an epiphany about life. I realized that life is really short, and that you should seize the day. Carpe diem all the way!

Gabriel: I agree, that's why I wanted to ask-

Grace: I'm not finished yet. I'm sorry for drifting away. I was thinking about us and our future. And the more I think about it, it kills me, but I think it's for the best.

Gabriel: What are you talking about Gracie?

Grace: (with a shaky voice) I think.we need.we need. I think we need a break!

Gabriel: (with a lost look on his face) What???


Everybody looked at their direction.

Grace: Shh. Could you lower your voice, please?

Gabriel: You what?? Why?

Grace: It's hard for me to explain.

Gabriel: Well I have all the time you need!

Grace: Gabriel, why are you with me?

Gabriel: Why? Cause I'm in love with you. Or that's just not enough!

Grace: There's no need to get upset.

Gabriel: Oh sure there isn't. My girlfriend just told me that she wants a break. Yeah everything's fine!

Grace: Will you just let me talk?

Gabriel: Go ahead. I'm all ears.

Grace: (sighs) We've been together for two years. And they were wonderful.

Gabriel: Yeah and it still is. That's why-

Grace: Please let me finish this! But there's something that has always bothered me. You've changed a lot Gabriel, a lot! But are you still with me because you're afraid of losing me?

Gabriel: No of course not!

Grace: I mean come on Gabriel! How is it possible for the Gabriel Knight to be with just one woman? Don't you miss having meaningless relationships? You know, no strings attached?

Gabriel: I've been doing that for such a long time that it got old. I'm happy with you, the happiest I've ever been.

Grace: Are you sure about that?

Gabriel: Yes! Why do you doubt me?

Grace: I don't know, because you're you! I've known you for a long time Gabriel. Before I could read your mind so easily. Now its just gets harder and harder. You've been acting strange yourself lately. I barely see you anymore. You go out without telling me where you're going. What do you expect me to think?

Gabriel: You're supposed to trust me. And you do the same thing!

There's a moment of silence between them.

Grace: Gabriel, when I meant a break I didn't mean for an eternity! It will be just a couple of months to get some things clear. You know, go out with other people and see what happens.

Gabriel: I can't believe you're saying this! I don't want to see other people! You're feeding me my own line and I'm not taking the bait! What does that tell you? It's feeling like an eternity right now.

Grace: (trying to hide her emotions) It's just for a couple of months. You can live, believe me. Oh.you were going to ask me something. What is it?

Gabriel: Nothing. It wasn't that important anyway.

Grace: Oh. I already have my stuff packed. I'll be bunking with Gerde. (emotions flooding her) Look, I hate this as much as you do. But please, I need this. I need to know what we have is real. So let's just take this on the road shall we?

Grace leaves Gabriel alone at the table. Gabriel doesn't know what to feel. Shocked? Lost? Confused? 'Why is she doing this? Grace.always has bad timing!' He puts his hand in his pocket and pats on something.


Grace took a cab and went to Rittersberg. She quickly got her luggage and left Schloss Ritter without looking back. 'If I look back, I think I won't be able to take it.' Gerde was sleeping comfortably but all of sudden she popped up from her bed when she heard a knock on the door. 'Who could it be at this hour?' She tried to walk straight but she was so drowsy. She opened the door.

Gerde: Grace?

Grace: Hi, can I come in?

Gerde: Uh sure.

Gerde was still trying to wake up.

Grace: I hope I didn't disturb you.

Gerde: No, it's alright. I was asleep but it's alright.

Grace: I'm so sorry.

Gerde: Grace, why did you bring your luggage?

Grace: Gabriel and I are on a break.

Gerde: What? What did he do?

Grace: Nothing. It's complicated. But before I say what happened, can I stay with you Gerde?

Gerde: Yes of course! Think of it as the good old days.

Grace smiled, trying not to cry.

Gerde: Now tell me everything.

A few minutes later, Grace got into her jammies and filled Gerde in about her feelings and how she mentioned the "break" to Gabriel.

Gerde: I don't know Grace. This isn't what you want and you know it.

Grace: A part of me that is questioning all of this wants it. But the part that just can't let go hates it.

Gerde: I believe this is a mistake. Gabriel loves you so much. He's never been this happy. It's the same with you. You know he's not going to date anyone but you're forcing him! This is going to backfire on you. (pauses) This is just a test for Gabriel isn't it? To see that he's faithful?

Grace: (sighs) You see right through me don't you?

Gerde: One of my many talents. This just can't be one sided. You have to date too so Gabriel won't be suspicious.

Grace: But I don't want to.

Gerde: Don't you think Gabriel feels the same way?

Grace: (whines)

Gerde: Want more ice scream?

Grace: Yes please! Give me the good stuff. Vanilla Swiss Almond.

Gerde: Here you go.

Grace: Thanks! Well.I guess there's nothing wrong with seeing some guys. If there are any decent ones. What am I saying? I fell for Gabriel. Therefore there are a lot of decent guys out there!

Gerde: (laughs) It's good to see your sarcasm peeking out again.

Grace smiles. They continue talking like teenage girls at a slumber party. But Gabriel is more dismal then those too. Gabriel drove back from the restaurant to Schloss Ritter. Thank God nothing happened to him since he was driving like a maniac. He opened the door and almost broke it when he closed it. He stood in the living room for a few minutes and then started walking toward the stairs like an automaton. He then hit the wall with his fist. 'Damn! Why?' He then slid down to the floor, with his back to the wall. He had a look in his eyes that made him look like a lost puppy. His eyes started to tear up. Then he took out the content that was in his pocket.it was a small box!

Gabriel: Soon Grace... soon.


Within those few months, things didn't go smoothly. Gabriel got bored in Schloss Ritter. 'It's not like I have another case to write a book about it.' Grace wasn't completely happy herself. Both of them had a few dates with others. But none of them were successful. The women were too ditsy for Gabriel (Huh, something you'd never think of saying since that's all he went for). The guys were just too plain for Grace. Since Rittersberg is such a small town, Grace was always afraid of bumping into Gabriel. 'If I see him, I don't think I'll be able to take it.' Gabriel had the same fear. 'If I see her, I know I won't be able to control myself.'

29 December 2001

Gabriel and Grace are still on their "break". And right in the corner is New Year's Eve. Gabriel was under the rocks even more than before. He spent Christmas all by himself with a feast of... peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. His Gran called him and gave her wishes. That cheered him up for a while. But the inevitable sunk in again. 'Well I handled Christmas pretty well, but I don't think I can for New Year's Eve. Damn Grace!' He then thought of something that a brought a grin to his face. 'Gabriel you sly devil! Now how am I gonna pull this off?' He got up and took his coat, revved up the Harley, and took off to Munich.

Grace was sitting on the couch watching Lois and Clark reruns. Her mind drifted off while watching. 'Aww. If only there was a relationship like that!' Then she daydreamed.

Gabriel was Clark Kent/Superman and instead of the S meaning Superman, it represents Schattenjäger. Perry White was Mosely. Gerde was a female Jimmy Olsen.lets say Jamie Olsen. John Shea was Lex Luthor.hey she couldn't think of anybody!

A new Mercedes convertible, Lois/Grace driving, at the curb.

Lois/Grace: (trying to be light) Need a lift, big boy?

Clark/Gabriel stares at her, then the car, long enough for the levity to disperse.

Clark/Gabriel: Present from Luthor?

Lois/Grace: (uncomfortable) I borrowed it.

Clark/Gabriel: Then I guess you owe him one.

Clark/Gabriel starts walking.

Lois/Grace: Please, Clark. Get in.

Clark/Gabriel hesitates, and then does get in.

Clark/Gabriel: What do you want, Lois?

Lois/Grace: I want you come to my wedding.

Clark/Gabriel: I can't.

Lois/Grace: Why not?

Clark/Gabriel: I just can't.

Clark/Gabriel starts to leave; Lois/Grace puts her hand on his arm.

Lois/Grace: You hate him that much? Or is it me you hate now?

Clark/Gabriel: I could never hate you Lois. But there's no way I'm going to sit there and watch you walk down the aisle with that.

Lois/Grace: What? Thief? Gangster? Psychopath? Murderer?

Clark/Gabriel: Maybe all of the above.

Lois/Grace: (tiredly) Clark, can't you see what's happening? All you're doing is driving us further and further apart.

Clark/Gabriel: I'm not the one doing the driving Lois. You are.

Clark/Gabriel gets out.

.Lois/Grace quickly collects herself, dabs at her eyes with tissues, and then takes a deep breath.

Lois/Grace: (to the mirror) Mrs. Lex Luthor. (beat) Lois Lane Luthor. (beat) Lois Luthor Lane. (beat, a stray thought) Grace Nakimura Knight? (shakes her head to clear it) Grace Nakimura.

"Grace? Grace?"

Gerde: Grace wake up.

Grace: Huh?

Gerde: You've been sitting like this the whole time. Were you daydreaming?

Grace: (trying to figure out what happened) No. I was just watching Lois and Clark.

Gerde: Well it finished. Are you sure you're alright?

Grace: Yes Gerde, I'm fine. Thank you.

Gerde: You really need to get out. Why don't we go to Munich and do some shopping or just to get some fresh air. What do you think?

Grace: Sure, that actually sounds great!

Gerde: Ok. I'll go and get ready.

Grace was left alone to think of what she was dreaming about. 'What was that? Am I going insane? I know Dean Cain's cute but how did that get to Gab.just forget it! It means nothing.'


Gabriel has settled some things for his master plan. 'Great! Everything's going accord to the plan. Now I need to think a way to get Grace's attention.' He was just wandering around the market in Marienplatz while thinking what to do with Grace. His train of thought stopped when he bumped into someone. It was a woman with dirty blonde hair until her shoulders. She looked like she was in her early 30's.

Gabriel: Sparen sie.

Woman: It's ok. Danke schön.

Gabriel: Oh sprechen sie English?

Woman: Yes.

Gabriel: Great. Let me help you with those.

He collects all her belongings on the floor.

Gabriel: You certainly love sci-fi don't you?

Woman: Yes I do. How rude of me. My name is Heidi Taylor.

Gabriel: My name is Knight, Gabriel Knight.

Heidi: You're Gabriel Knight! I'm such a huge fan of Blake Backlash. Can I have your autograph?

Gabriel: (smiles at the adoring fan) Sure no prob.

He signs her copy of the book.

Heidi: Thank you so much Mr. Knight.

Gabriel: Call me Gabriel.

Heidi: Gabriel. I loved your last book Sacred Blood. But I have to ask what happened with Fugi? Does Blake go after her?

Gabriel: (feeling uncomfortable) You're English is very good. Are you from here originally?

Heidi: Yes, I was born here in Munich. But I earned my education at Oxford. My father's English.

Gabriel: Oxford? Wow! That's impressive.

Heidi: What are you doing here in Munich Gabriel?

Gabriel: I have a place outside town.

Heidi: Oh. New Year's Eve is around the corner. What do you have planned?

Gabriel: Oh nothing fancy.

Heidi: I myself have no date. There's club here in Munich that has tons of fun for New Year's Eve.

Gabriel: Really?

Gabriel starts to churn an idea in his head.

Gabriel: Would you like to go with me?

Heidi: (flattered) Wow, I'd be glad to Mr. Knight. I mean Gabriel.

Gabriel: Great we can meet here, where I bumped into you at about 8 pm. Is that ok?

Heidi: Perfect. I'll see you then.

She leaves. 'Nice lady. Now I need some assistance so Grace can be at this club at the same time.'

Grace and Gerde arrived to Munich. They were also in Marienplatz, but they didn't bump into Gabriel yet. After some shopping, Gerde heard her cell phone ring.

Gerde: I'd better get this. (she presses yes) Ja?

Gabriel: Gerde, it's me. If you're next to Grace don't mention it's me.

Gerde: Oh hi Werner.

Grace: Werner Huber? He knows your cell phone number?

Gerde: Yeah. He likes to talk to me sometimes.

Grace: In English?

Gerde: (hesitated) Yeah.

Grace: Okay.

Gerde stands up and leaves the table.

Gerde: What is it Gabriel?

Gabriel: Look I have a plan. Grace has been driving me crazy and I need to open her eyes. Will you help me?

Gerde: Of course I will. The truth is she's been driving me crazy as well. Both of you belong together and... I want my apartment all to myself.

Gabriel: (laughs) That's great thank you Gerde! You're an angel!

Gerde: Alright, don't soften me up. What do you want me to do?

Gabriel: Can you take Grace to this club in Marienplatz.ah man I don't even know its name. It has great New Year's Eve parties.

Gerde: Skyline!

Gabriel: Skyline? How do you know... never mind. Can you bring her at 8 pm on New Year's Eve?

Gerde: I can't promise anything. But I'll try.

Gabriel: Thank you so much! Anyway, I got to go bye.

Gerde: Bye.

Gerde turns around and sees that Grace is gone.

Gerde: Grace? Grace!


Grace was just walking around the plaza. Her mind was wandering off like she was in the clouds. Then she bumps into somebody.

Grace: I'm so sorry.

Man: Oh, it's alright.

They looked at each other.

Man: Grace?

Grace: Georg? How have you been?

Georg: Gut. How about you?

Grace: I'm fine. So have you had any concerts or do you still work at the museum?

Georg: I'm almost there. With my brother's help, I may be a conductor.

Grace: That's great news. I'm happy for you.

Georg: How's Gabriel?

Grace: (winces at his name like it's kryptonite) He's fine. So what are you doing for New Year's Eve?

Georg: Going to a club called Skyline. It's very nice. Do you have a date?

Grace: No. Why are you asking?

Georg: Because my friend doesn't have one. Would you like to go with him?

Grace: I don't know. I'm not the kind of person to go out on a blind date.

Georg: You trust me right?

Grace: Yeah.

Georg: So believe me, my friend is how you say.not a mutant!

Grace: (smiles) Ok. It's a deal.

Georg: Gut. We're going to be there at 7pm.

Grace: Ok, I'll see you then.

Georg: Ok. Bye.

Grace: Bye.

Gerde finally finds Grace.

Gerde: Grace where have you been?

Grace: I got bored and I didn't want to bother your conversation with Werner. Why did he call anyway?

Gerde: (quickly thought of something) Uh, he wanted to know my recipe from one of my specialties for the gasthof.

Grace: Oh. I just bumped into Georg.

Gerde: Really? How is he?

Grace: Great. He got me a date for New Year's Eve.

Gerde: That's great! Where are you guys going?

Grace: It's a club called Skyline. I've never been there but it'll be fun.

Gerde: Wonderful! 'Huh? I guess my work is done.'

Grace: Would you like to join us? You can hook up with someone too Gerde. You haven't been in a relationship in a long time.

Gerde: Ok. Why not?

Grace leaves before Gerde. Gerde stays back for a few seconds and sighs. Then she follows Grace's path.


31 December 2001

Grace and Gerde made it to the club Skyline. It was packed and so was the dance floor. Grace was wearing tight black pants and a turquoise top. Gerde was wearing about the same thing. They looked like Doublemint twins! A few minutes past and Grace was anxiously waiting for Georg and his non-mutant friend. Then she sees them arriving. 'Ok. Be cool.'

Grace: Hi Georg.

Georg: Hello Grace. I'm glad you made it. Uh this is my friend John Tanaka. And this is Grace Nakimura.

Grace: Oh you're Japanese.

John: Yes, I'm taking some courses at the University. You know broaden my horizons.

Grace: Where were you born?

John: In the US, back in New York.

Grace: Are you kidding? I lived in New York most of my life!

John: What a coincidence? (pauses and looks at Grace) You know Georg told me you're pretty, but you're really beautiful!

Grace: Thanks. I hope that's not just a line.

John: Oh no, it's genuine.

Grace: Well... you're a looker yourself.

They sat down and talked some more. It turned out that they had a lot in common. Gerde was just sitting and drinking a dry martini and minding her own business. Some guys came over and talked to her but she wasn't interested in that type. Then someone familiar came over.

Man: Hey Gerde.

Gerde: Mosely?

Mosely: Yup in the flesh!

Gerde: What are you doing here?

Mosely: Oh just wanted to have a vacation. The agency has been going crazy with the Osama guy and all his s**t! And what better place then where my friends are.

Gerde: That's great to hear. But what are you doing here at this club?

Mosely: It's New Year's Eve! I've known to a cut a little rug on the dance floor!

Gerde: (laughs) I've never doubted it.

Mosely: So what's up with those two lovebirds?

Gerde: You don't know?

Mosely: Know what?

Gerde: Gabriel didn't tell you? I guess he was so depressed he didn't want to. It's a long story.

Mosely: Well.(looking at his watch) I have time till midnight.

Gerde starts from the beginning.

John: So you're working for a private investigator here in Germany?

Grace: Yes. The experience has been surreal. I love my job, and I don't regret not getting my Ph.D.

John: That's great. (pauses) Would you like to dance?

J.Lo's "Ain't it Funny" plays in the background.

Grace: Yes. I love this song.

Grace and John were going out on the dance floor when Gabriel and Heidi came right in front of them.

Grace: Gabriel!

Gabriel: Hey Gracie! How are ya?

Grace: I'm... I'm... Im great!

Gabriel: Oh how rude of me. Grace, this is Heidi Taylor.

Heidi: Nice to meet you.

Grace's look was priceless. Gabriel was enjoying every minute of it.


It took a while for Grace to get back to reality.

Grace: Oh. This is John Tanaka.

John: Nice to meet you both. How do you know Gabriel?

Grace: Oh we're just friends.

Gabriel: Yeah. Friends.

There was awkward moment between them. Gabriel and Grace kept staring at each other.

Gabriel: Well, it was nice bumping into both of you. See ya later.

Grace: Bye.

Grace wasn't in the mood of dancing anymore.

Grace: Uh, John I'm gonna go to the ladies' room so we'll dance later ok?

John: Su-

Grace left before he could complete his sentence. Gabriel saw Grace go to the bathroom. He was concerned and a part of him wanted to go right after her but he held back. The DJ started playing Aaliyah's "Try Again."

Heidi: Gabriel! Earth to Gabriel!

Gabriel: Sorry.

Heidi: It's ok.

Grace came back with a bit of her make up smudged off. She went towards John.

Grace: I'm sorry.

John: It's ok. But are you alright?

Grace: I'm fine. Let's go dance.

John: I better warn you I'm not good at dancing.

Grace: You'll get through it.

Both go on the dance floor. Now Gabriel's look was priceless!

Gabriel: Do you want to dance?

Heidi: Sure.

They go on the dance floor. Now back to Mosely and Gerde. She has filled him in on what had happened these couple of months.

Mosely: Are you serious? Now I thought it would be the other way around.

Gerde: Life is full of surprises isn't it?

Mosely: Tell me about it! Now both of them are getting back at each other with a couple of victims. This has got to stop, before murder is in the agenda!

Gerde: That's what Gabriel is doing! He says he has this "master plan" (doing the Dr. Evil gesture)

Mosely: And what might that be?

Gerde: I don't know. But it better work.

The song ends. Grace and John go back to their seats and the same with Gabriel and Heidi. Gabriel looks at the time.it was 10pm. 'Damn that was fast!'

Gabriel: Uh, Heidi. I'm sorry but I have to leave early, cause I have some things to take care of.

Heidi: Oh, it's fine. This place doesn't have the same feel as it used to. Would you mind taking me to a cab and take me home?

Gabriel: Not at all.

Grace was not paying attention to John talking, especially when she saw Gabriel and Heidi going out of the club.

John: Grace?

Grace: Uh huh.

John: You know, you're really great woman but I can see you're somewhere else.

Grace: I'm so sorry John. It's not you. You're great! Right now, dating for me.it's complicated.

John: Let me guess.your friend?

Grace: (sighs)

John: Go.

Grace: (smiles) Thank you. (kisses him on the cheek)

Grace started to leave. Gerde and Mosely noticed.

Gerde: Grace where you going?

Grace: I'm just gonna get some fresh air. (about to go, then she turns) Mosely?

Mosely: Hey Grace!

Grace: What are y-? Never mind. I'll talk to both of you later!

She sprinted out of the club.

Mosely: I guess whatever plan Gabriel has.it's working.

Gerde: Yeah.

Mosely: (pauses) How are you Gerde?

Gerde: Me? I'm fine.

Mosely: What's up?

Gerde: (smiles) All of sudden you're interested in me?

Mosely: Why not? Anyway those two are busy with their own crazy lives. What about you? You deserve a life as well.

Gerde: Well thank you for caring.

Mosely: No prob. (smiles)

Gerde: (smiles)

Grace gets out of the club and sees Gabriel from a distance getting into a cab. She hails for a cab as well. 'Let's just see where you're off to Mr. Knight.'


The cab that Gabriel's in finally came to a stop in front of an apartment building. Heidi got out but tripped on the curb and fell right on her face.

Gabriel: Hey be careful.

Heidi: Ah... I've been known to be clumsy.

Gabriel helped her up. From a distance is Grace, watching them.

Heidi: Thanks Gabriel. I really did have a good time.

Gabriel: No prob.

As Heidi walked toward the door, she fell again.

Heidi: Ahh! My leg!

Gabriel: Look, let me help you get into your house.

Heidi: Thanks.

She opens the door and Gabriel helps her. Then he follows inside. Grace couldn't believe her eyes. 'No! This can't be happening!' She puts her head down, looks up with her eyes filled with tears. She disappears into the darkness.

Gabriel takes Heidi to the couch.

Heidi: Would you like some tea?

Gabriel: No thanks. I got to go.

Heidi: Coffee?

Gabriel: No really I got to go.

Heidi: Ow!

Gabriel: What happened?

Heidi: My face hurts.

Gabriel comes closer to see.

Gabriel: It seems fine to me.

Heidi: It is now.

Heidi comes closer to Gabriel and just a few centimetres away from kissing him when Gabriel withdrew.

Gabriel: No. I can't do this.

Heidi: Why?

Gabriel: Don't get me wrong. You're very beautiful but-

Heidi: Grace?

Gabriel: How did you-

Heidi: Gosh, it was so obvious the way you two were looking at each other. Even a blind man can see it!

Gabriel: It's that obvious huh?

Heidi: Yes. She reminds me of Fugi.wait a second. It is her isn't it? Well, I got my answer.

Gabriel: Answer to what?

Heidi: That Blake went after her (smiles) Go get her.

Gabriel: (smiles) Happy New Year Heidi.

Heidi: Happy New Year.

He leaves quickly. Outside the apartment, his cell phone suddenly rings.


.Grace made her way back to the club, where Gerde and Mosely were still there. Both saw the look on Grace's face.

Both: What's wrong Grace?

Grace: (her voice shaky from the tears) It doesn't matter. It's over.

Gerde: What's over?

Grace: Gabriel and I are over.

Gerde: No I don't believe it.

Mosely: Me neither. I mean ho-

Interrupted by a cell.

Mosely: Man! Hold on a sec. Let me get this. (presses yes) Hello? Uh huh. What? Are you serious? Oh s**t! Ok, I'll tell her right away. Bye. (pauses) Grace?

Grace: What Mosely?

Mosely: You have to put your feelings aside for now, cause something drastic happened in Rittersberg. It involves a new case. Gabriel told me you have to come. It's urgent!

Grace: (really concerned) Oh my God, what happened?

Mosely: He didn't give me any details. But I could hear the fear in his voice.

Grace: Ok. I'm out of here. If I don't see both of you soon... Happy New Year!

She leaves.

Both: (shouting so she can hear) Happy New Year!

Both have a concerned look on their face. Grace quickly hails a cab.

Grace: To Rittersberg please! 'Gabriel! What have we got ourselves into now?'

She finally reached Rittersberg. It was close to midnight. She went to toward the door to open it, but it was already unlocked. 'Oh s**t! I hope Gabriel's alright!'

Grace: Gabriel! Gabriel, are you alright?

She goes in. The castle was very dark, which is not good in a situation like this. Grace saw light flickering in Gabriel's room from downstairs.

Grace: Gabriel! It's Grace! What's wrong? I heard we have a new case!

There was no response. Grace felt very insecure. 'Oh my God! What happened here?' Gathering all her strength, she quickly went toward the stairs. She saw red pigment all over the stairs that went toward the bedroom. 'Blood! Oh no... please don't!' She touched it. It felt velvety. 'Blood's not supposed to feel that way!' Then she noticed it wasn't blood.it was a rose petal. She followed the trail. 'If this is some sick joke from someone I swear I'll.' She reached in front of the bedroom door. She gasped.

'Oh my God.'


The room had rose petals dispersed and some on the bed. Aroma candles were lit and so was the fireplace. She went inside the room. 'Who did this?' There was a note on the bed. It said: I told you it was urgent.

At that moment she heard footsteps, making the wood creek. That startled Grace, making her turn around.

Grace: (pants) Gabriel?

Gabriel: Hi Gracie.

Grace: Don't do that, you scared the hell out of me!

Gabriel: I'm sorry.

Grace: What is all of this? What's up with this new case?

Gabriel: There is no case.

Grace: What?

Gabriel: That's the only way to get your attention.

Grace: I-

Gabriel: Please! Listen to me.

He walked toward Grace, close enough that she could feel him breathing. This brought shivers down Grace's back.

Gabriel: Sit down.

Grace did as told. Gabriel sat right next to her.

Gabriel: Grace, you have made these few months a living hell for me. A part of me thinks you felt the same way. It was obvious that you were testing me if I was faithful or not.

Grace: And you failed.

Gabriel: What?

Grace: (shaky voice) I saw you go in Heidi's apartment.

Gabriel: No, nothing happened. She couldn't walk properly. What was I supposed to do? Let her limp?

Grace: I don't know.

A short pause between them.

Gabriel: Look Heidi doesn't matter. You do. It's always been you Gracie. I still don't know why you can't see that. I'm sick of these games. We both know how we feel. We've been feeling it for a long time. You'll always be my best friend. You'll always be the love of my life. I have loved before, but it doesn't compare to what we have. I knew what I was getting myself into two years ago. That's why I was so scared to admit anything. The truth is, I'm addicted to you Gracie. I seriously can't see myself living without the most amazing woman I've ever met.next to Gran of course.

Grace smiles.

Gabriel: There's something I need to ask you, something I wanted to ask since that night at the restaurant.

He gets up and takes something that was under the note.

Gabriel: I wanna do this right.

He goes down on one knee. Grace is completely shocked. 'Oh my.' He opens the case and reveals the diamond and sapphire ring.

Gabriel: Grace Nakimura? Will you marry me?

Grace was speechless. Tears of joy started to come down her face.

Grace: Yes! Yes yes!

Gabriel had a grin on his face that was priceless. He took the ring out of the box and placed it on her finger. Then they kiss tenderly. Gabriel had been longing to kiss Grace again, and this just quenched his thirst. Grace quenched her thirst as well.

The clock echoed throughout the castle. That broke their kiss. It was midnight.

Gabriel: Happy New Year Gracie.

Grace: Happy New Year Gabriel.

They kissed again, now getting more intense. Grace put her arms around Gabriel's neck. Gabriel untied her hair and let it fall down to her shoulders. He then carried her to the bed and laid her down gently.

Grace: Ow!

Gabriel: What is it?

Grace: A thorn.

Gabriel: I told them to be careful with the thorns. No thorns!

Grace: Hey, it's ok. Don't let it ruin this.

Gabriel smiled and looked deeply into her warm brown eyes.

Gabriel: I love you Gracie. I love you so much.

Grace: I love you too Gabriel.

They continue kissing, which started to get more passionate. Grace took Gabriel's shirt off and Gabriel took hers off as well. The rest is left to your imagination. Let's just say, obviously it's not the Fourth of July, but there was certainly fireworks!

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

next »