Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

Reinvention of the soul

by Shakar, published from September 5, 2003 to November 29, 2003

How can you see into my eyes like open doors,

leading you down into my core, where I've become so numb

Without a soul, my spirit sleeping somewhere cold, until you find it there and lead it back home

Wake me up inside, wake me up inside

Call my name and save me from the dark

Bid my blood to run, before I come undone

Save me from the nothing I've become

Now that I know what I'm without, you can't just leave me

Breathe into me and make me real

Bring me to life

Wake me up inside, wake me up inside

Call my name and save me from the dark

Bid my blood to run, before I come undone

Save me from the nothing I've become

Bring me to life

Frozen inside without your touch, without your love,

Darling only you are the life among the dead

All this time I can't believe I couldn't see, kept in the dark but you were there in front of me

I've been sleeping a thousand years it seems, got to open my eyes to everything

Without a thought, without a voice, without a soul

Don't let me die here

There must be something more

Bring me to life

- Evanescence

GK4: REINVENTION OF THE SOUL

Gabriel and Grace just came back from their honeymoon. They hated the idea of it ending but that didn't stop them from being happy! Gabriel took the luggage to their room to start unpacking. Grace saw a pile of mail sitting right next to the phone. 'Oh great, back to the bills.' Then she noticed that the answering machine's light was flashing. She pressed the button and it was... Gerde.

Gerde: Hi, it's Gerde. Hope both of you had a wonderful honeymoon. And I'll see you soon.

Gabriel: I hope not too soon.

Grace: Why not?

Gabriel: Because I'm not done with my honeymoon. Not by a long shot.

Grace: (smiles) Is that right?

Gabriel gave her a peck on the cheek.

Gabriel: Yeah.

Grace started giggling. Gabriel went toward the kitchen. Then there was another message. The feminine voice was very shaky.

"Hello.I'm so sorry to trouble you. I couldn't think of anyone else. I have heard of this lineage and would appreciate of you can help us. I'm afraid it's a horrible case. My name is Mrs. Evelyn Kent. Our phone number is 44-171-290-8600. Please, I beg of you.help us."Grace just stood still. 'No. It's starting.' At that moment Gabriel came in.

Gabriel: Grace, what's wrong?

Grace: I'm.I'm.new case.

Gabriel: What? I'm new case? What does that mean...(his voice faded away) No, don't tell me we have a new case.

Grace: We do. You didn't hear her voice. She was too scared to say anything. As if someone was watching her.

Gabriel: (sighs) Ok. We have a new case. What's her phone number? I'll call her now.

Grace: I wrote it down, next to the phone. (short beat) I guess we don't have to unpack.

Gabriel: Well, you do.

Grace: What? Why? I have enough clothes that I didn't wear on our honeymoon.

Gabriel: That's not what I meant.

Grace: Then what do you mean?

Gabriel: Grace... I'm going... without you.

Grace stood there, stiff like a statue! 'What??'

She looked at him like he was a complete stranger. She had no words.but her mouth was wide open from the shock of what Gabriel just said!

Grace: You're.you're going without me? Are you insane??

Gabriel: No, Gracie. It's not what you think.

Grace: Ok, tell me what it is then. Cause frankly I don't get it!!

Gabriel: I don't want you to get hurt.

Grace: And what are you immortal?

Gabriel: No, I think we'll be better off this way.

Grace: No!! It won't be! You're making the same mistake you did a few years ago! And look what happened to you! You became a werewolf. And I was the one who saved your ass!

Gabriel: Grace, I'm not making the same mistake. I left you out of the loop then. I'm not going to do that now. You'll still help me.

Grace: How will I help you when I'm thousands of miles away?? What if I don't have all the resources I need here, even if I have SIDNEY? It's better if we're together.

Gabriel: Grace, it's not that I don't believe we make a great team. If anything happens to you, I couldn't forgive myself.

Grace: Likewise.

Gabriel: Please, just for a while. Until I figure out what the case involves. Trust me.

Grace: (pauses) Alright. But don't think that I like this idea one bit!

Gabriel: (smiles) I know you don't.

He calls the lady and finds out that they live in a castle in Rochester, 25 miles southeast of London. He books a flight to London and has his luggage ready.

Gabriel: Well, I got to go. I'll call as soon as I get there.

He kisses Grace and leaves. 'She was so calm. That's not like her.' Grace stood there, and then she went toward the window to see if Gabriel left. He revved up the Harley and went out of sight.

Grace: Oh Gabriel, there's no way I'm staying here. Whether you like it or not!

Grace quickly goes upstairs.

Gabriel finally reached London. He quickly hailed a taxi and was off to Rochester. The weather was cool, but it started getting colder as he got closer to his destination. He got out the taxi and looked at what to be the biggest castle he's seen. The clouds covered some parts of the estate, which made it even gloomier. Gabriel had the strangest feeling.and it wasn't from the wind! 'Talk about deja vu! Have I been here before? Well duh, since you know that you had a past life genius!' He finally got the courage to walk toward the building and knocked on the door. A young girl opened the door, probably a teenager. She was fair with blue eyes that were so deep and cold. It went well with her very pale complexion. 'If I were living in a place like this, I would look like that as well, no matter how beautiful it is.' She answered quite rudely.

Girl: What do you want?

Gabriel: I'm sorry, are you Mrs. Kent?

Girl: No. Who are you?

She looked at him oddly, as though she was looking right through him. That look made Gabriel feel awkward.

Gabriel: My name is Knight, Gabriel Knight.

Girl: Oh, so you're the one who will help us. I thought you would be older. Come on in.

Gabriel: Thanks.

Gabriel went in. It was huge! The ceiling must have been 20 feet high. The halls were wide and the décor was very elegant. The girl led Gabriel to the family room. A young red haired woman then greeted him, probably in her late 20s. Sitting next to her was a man in his mid 30s.

Evelyn: Mr. Knight thank you so much for coming.

Gabriel: It's nothing and call me Gabriel.

Evelyn: We have been waiting for you.

Gabriel: Who are we?

Evelyn: Oh how rude of me. This is my husband Jonathan Kent.

Gabriel: Nice to meet you.

Jonathan: The pleasure is all mine Mr. Knight. Oh and of course the young lady who greeted you is my sister-in-law Lizzie.

Gabriel: (with a sarcastic tone) Oh we've been properly introduced.

Lizzie gives him a fake smile and leaves the room.

Evelyn: I'm so sorry.

Gabriel: It's ok. But let's not beat around the bush. You called me for help on a case. I have to tell you the truth, the way you were speaking on the phone truly scared me. So please tell me everything.

Evelyn: I will, but shouldn't we at least wait for your friend.

Gabriel: Friend?

Grace: Gabriel! You finally made it.

Grace came down from the stairs. Gabriel couldn't believe his eyes! 'Do I miss her that much?' But then it finally sank in that he wasn't hallucinating.

Jonathan: That friend.
Gabriel: (trying to remain calm) Gracie. What are you doing here?

Grace: I'm here to help out with the case silly.

Gabriel: Of course, how could I forget that?

Gabriel gave her a look of anger and disappointment.

Gabriel: Could you excuse us for a second? I will like to talk to my friend.

Both: Of course.

Grace: Oh no we can do that later.

Gabriel: No I insist.

Grace: (sighs) Ok.

Gabriel drags her to the other room.

Gabriel: What the hell are you doing here?

Grace: You know the answer to that question!

Gabriel: And how did you get here before me?

Grace: That doesn't matter. (beat) How could you possibly think you have any power over me?? I came because I want to help you.

Gabriel: I know, but I don't want you-

Grace: To get hurt, I know that! But you know me. I can take care of myself. (beat) I am not going to just sit in Rittersberg and let you do this on your own! No way!! (beat) I'm staying.

Gabriel: (sighs) Ok. (smiles) The truth is I really wanted you to be here.

Grace: (smiles) I knew it!

Gabriel: Yeah yeah. (pauses) I have to ask you again. How did you get here before me?

Grace: Well, Gerde and I had a little surprise for you. Both of us were looking into some shares of stock that looked very promising. Let's just say, you're a very wealthy man. I came here with your jet.

Gabriel: I have a jet? Stop playing games with me!

Grace: I'm not joking. I thought it was a great investment.

Gabriel: (grins) Have I ever told you that you're the most amazing woman?

Grace: (smiles) Yeah, but you could say it again.

They drew closer when Lizzie interrupted by clearing her throat.

Lizzie: I'm sorry to interrupt your little make out fest, but we are expecting you.

Gabriel: Sorry. We should go.

Grace: Yeah, let's face the inevitable.

Both go back to the family room.

Grace: We're sorry that we kept you waiting.

Jonathan: It's all right.

Gabriel: Uh, there's one thing that I want to get straight. She's not my friend.

Evelyn: She's not?

Gabriel: No. She's my wife. 'Huh? I like the sound of that.'

Evelyn: Congratulations! Grace, why didn't you say anything?

Grace: I thought it wasn't appropriate at the time. And thank you.

Gabriel: Yeah, but that's not important right now.

Grace: Exactly.

They all sat down.

Grace: The truth is, we were expecting an upcoming case. So we have been anxious and tense about it.

Gabriel: But we'll do everything we can to help.

Evelyn: (sighs) I'm very glad to hear that. (tears started to come) I'm so sorry. It's just horrible.

Jonathan: Darling it will be alright.

Evelyn: I know.

Grace: How did you find out about the Schattenjagers?

Jonathan: Well we have a close relation with the Stewarts of Albany.

Gabriel: So Prince James told you about us?

Jonathan: Yes.

Grace: What do you mean by close relations?

Jonathan: We are practically family.

Grace and Gabriel looked at each other. Thinking the same thing: 'Hmm. We might be getting into some holy blood again.'

Evelyn: Would you care for some crumpets and tea?

Grace: (hesitates) Uh... yes that would be nice.

Gabriel: Yes, please.

Mr. and Mrs. Kent went to the kitchen to prepare the tea and crumpets. Both Gabriel and Grace were fidgeting... they were so anxious to find out what the case they've been dreading is all about. And the living room seemed so cold and eerie. Then again every room in the castle was like that! Gabriel and Grace stayed close, until the Kents came with the tea and crumpets.

Both: Thank you so much.

Both: You are very welcome.

Both couples started laughing.

Gabriel: I guess both of us have been beating around the bush about this case.

Grace: And it seems that both of you are doing the same thing.

Jonathan: It's just that we are so jumpy.

Evelyn: Yes. This place might be beautiful but frightening at the same time.

Kind of like Fatal Attraction.

Everybody jumped out of their seats when they heard that. But it was only Lizzie who was eavesdropping.

Evelyn: Lizzie! You scared us to death!

Jonathan: Stop doing that!

Lizzie: Sorry.

She leaves abruptly. Both Grace and Gabriel were catching their breath.

Gabriel: No offense, but are you sure she's your sister?

Evelyn: Yes she is. But she wasn't like this. Everything changed after all the incidents.

Both: (with growing interest) What incidents?

Evelyn: Incidents that occurred in this castle. This castle has been in the family for centuries. It has a rich history.

Grace was getting intrigued. 'My job to look into it.'

Evelyn: .making it unbearable to live in.

Gabriel: How would it make it unbearable?

Jonathan: It seems there are shadows where there should not be, voices that should not be heard. It's driving people crazy for centuries.

Gabriel: Are you saying that this place is haunted?

Grace: Ghosts?

Evelyn: Why do you seem surprised?

Grace: I don't know. It's just that we thought it would be something else.

Evelyn: These ghosts have been scaring people away, even to their deaths. This castle was full of life and family.

Jonathan: Now most of them are dead or declared insane.

Evelyn: And it's still happening. There have been recent deaths, mostly heart attacks or strokes from the fear. But some have been brutally murdered. I can't explain how. It's also happened to people we don't even know. They just pop out of nowhere! (tears building up) We have managed to survive, but we cannot for long.

Gabriel and Grace were shocked. They just sat there and listened attentively. 'Whoa!'

Gabriel: Mr. and Mrs. Kent, we'll find out the purpose of these ghosts or ghost. I promise you.

Grace: You're not alone.

Evelyn: Thank you so much.

Jonathan: How can we repay you? (taking out his checkbook)

Gabriel: No. No need for that. We haven't solved anything.

Jonathan: Yes. It's getting late and we better go off to bed.

Evelyn: Yes. Do you know where your bedroom is Grace?

Grace: Yes I do.

Evelyn: Thank you again.

Gabriel: You're welcome.

They leave them alone in the room.

Grace: Wow. So this is it right?

Gabriel: Yeah.

Grace: Now it makes sense why they're so pale. They're scared to death.

Gabriel: After hearing all of that, something seemed familiar to me.

Grace: Me too. It' just that I can't put my finger on it.

Gabriel: Yeah, but it's because we're tired.

Grace: (yawned) Aww.let's sleep and we'll start digging early in the morning. (short beat) Or should I say I. I will be doing the digging in the morning.

Gabriel: (laughs)

Both go up the stairway. It took forever just to reach the top, and since both of them were drowsy it made it even longer. They finally reached to their bedroom and went to sleep.

Grace kept tossing and turning. Something was bugging her. Irritation took over and beads of sweat cooled her heated body. Her pupils went crazy. In a barely audible whisper she kept saying, 'No.' Something came closer, making the little hairs on her back stand. She started breathing heavier and exhaling cold air. It touched her face, making her cheek decompose in a matter of seconds!

At the moment Grace jumped, screaming from what she saw! 'What the.?' She looks over to Gabriel's side and he wasn't there! 'Gabriel?' Grace gets out of bed and starts exhaling cold air. 'Why is it so cold?' Then she sees that the window was open. 'Uh, duh!' She quickly closed it. The sun started to rise, making the golden rays shine throughout the castle. 'Better get ready. I wonder what Gabriel's up to.'

After changing, Grace went downstairs. Then she saw one of the doors half ajar. When she entered, she saw Gabriel, looking through some books.

Grace: Gabriel?

Gabriel: Grace, good morning.

Grace: (confused) Good morning. What are you doing?

Gabriel: I'm looking through the library for any references on ghosts.

Grace: Yeah, I can see that. (pauses) Who are you and what have you done with Gabriel Knight?

Gabriel: What? I can't do some research?

Grace: Well you always do your thing. And I always do my thing.

Gabriel: Yeah, I know. But I think we'll be an even greater team if we don't do that anymore. Both of us can do the research. Both of us can kick some ghost butt! It will double our chances.

Grace: Yeah. That's true.

Gabriel: And plus. I couldn't sleep. There's something about this place.

Grace: I know. I had the weirdest dream.

Gabriel: You did? I had one too!

Grace: Really? Whatever it is, it may help us out.

Gabriel: I don't know who or what it was, but this figure came out of nowhere. It touched my face and.

Grace: .it decomposed.

Gabriel: How did yo.? We had the same dream!

Grace: It could be connected to the murders and to us. What did you find out about ghosts?

Gabriel: This is what I found on SIDNEY.

He loads it up. It says:

Ghosts are the disembodied spirits of the dead. Many traditions believe that humans contain a soul that survives death. When this soul is trapped on the earthly plain, it can sometimes be detected by the living.

Souls can become trapped on the earthly plain if they experience great violence, trauma, or confusion in their lifetime. They will often be attached to a particular house or location, perhaps where they died or a place that had a special meaning for them while they were living.

Some ghosts can be evil, desiring to harm or frighten the living, either because their souls are inherently evil, or because their suffering has caused them to become so.

Gabriel: That's the basic stuff.

Grace: Did you get anything else?

Gabriel: Most of the books in this library say almost the same thing, except for one. It mentions purgatory. When the soul is caught between the living and the dead. But that's all I found so far. I didn't have much time.

Grace: I'll look into it. I might do some exploring. You'll never know what you discover.

Gabriel: Ok. I'm going to look at the recent crime scenes in this place. See if I can find any clues. So. (kisses her on the cheek) I'll see you soon.

Grace: Ok, be careful.

Gabriel: That's my middle name.

He shuts the door, making an eerie echo throughout the castle. Gabriel started probing around the 2nd floor to find the room where the recent victim was found. He looked through most of the rooms, trying to find some shred of evidence, but to no avail. 'Damn! Where is it?' From afar, Gabriel sees a door that has a yellow tape in front it saying, "Crime Scene". 'Huh, very subtle.' He reaches the door and walks in.The windows and drapes were closed, only letting in a very thin ray of light into the room. 'Great.' Gabriel takes out his flashlight, but it falls from his hand. Just when he kneels down and turns on his flashlight, a shriveled corpse is inches away from him!

Gabriel: Ahhh!! S**t!!

Gabriel crawls to towards the door while breathing heavily. The talisman was glowing, giving enough light to see. But the corpse wasn't there anymore. 'What the.?' He stands up and goes toward the window and opens the drapes. He looks back and sees an office. As for where the corpse was.a white sketch of where the victim died. The talisman started to tingle around his chest. 'Weird.' Instead of wondering what he just saw, Gabriel continued to investigate. He took out a digital camera and started taking pictures of the room at different angles, and he did the same around the victim's body sketch. There were some files on the desk that Gabriel noticed. They were real estate papers. 'Someone wants to buy their estate? Or maybe not.' He took out his fingerprint kit and luckily found some prints on them. 'Maybe this guy had his dirty little fingers on these.' As he took the papers with him for further investigation, Gabriel glanced at the sketch. Then his glance became an attentive stare. There was a translucent residue right next to the body sketch. Gabriel quickly takes the sample and puts it in a small Ziploc bag. 'That's enough evidence.for now.' Just when he turns toward the door, Jonathan is right in front of him.

Gabriel: Ah! Jonathan, you scared me.

Jonathan: (drowsy) Gabriel, I am so sorry. I heard you scream. I thought something happened again.

Gabriel: No, nothing happened. I'll make sure of it.

Jonathan: I'm sure you will. Would you care for some breakfast?

Gabriel: No, thank you. I've got to take care of some things.

Jonathan: Are you sure? It will make you more energetic.

Gabriel: Yes, I'm sure. Oh by the way, which police station has information about the murders?

Jonathan: That would be Medway. It's on Cazeneuve Street. It's a quite large building, so you cannot miss it.

Gabriel: Thanks.

Jonathan: My pleasure.

Jonathan leaves and goes out of sight. 'Now let's see what I can find at the police station.' Gabriel goes down the stairs quickly and he's off to the city.

Meanwhile.

Grace is still in the library, getting information on the case. 'Let's see what rich history this city has.' She goes online and finds:

Situated about 25 miles southeast of London, on the north side of the River Medway at its lowest fordable point, the city of Rochester controls the main road from Dover on the Channel coast to London. It enjoys a strategic importance, which has been appreciated since pre-Roman times. The Romans built a walled city, here, which was then refortified by the Anglo-Saxons in their time.

In 604, Augustine established Rochester as England's second bishopric (Canterbury was the first) and consecrated the cathedral at that time. The present cathedral building was begun around 1080 by Gundulf, Bishop of Rochester, and has been added onto in almost every century since. It is a small building, as English cathedrals go, but beautiful and very well kept.

William the Conqueror recognized Rochester's importance and ordered that a castle should be built to defend it. The work was begun by Gundulf, who had had previous building experience at the Tower of London, and at Rochester Cathedral, but was probably not finished until around 1140. Today, the wall is intact as is the impressive great tower. Also known as the keep, the tower is 70 ft. square and 125 ft. high and still conveys the impression of power and solidity.

A highlight in the history of the castle came in 1215, the year Magna Carta was signed, when the castle was held by the rebel barons against King John. There was a great siege, which ended when the forces of the King undermined the south turret. It collapsed, allowing his troops to enter and take the castle.

Rochester's most famous resident was Charles Dickens, who lived at Gad's Hill Place for many years prior to his death in 1870. Many of the local houses and inns feature somehow in Dickens' many novels. In the High Street, there is the Charles Dickens Centre where, through creative use of sound and light, the displays of Dickens' characters seem to come to life.

The Rochester castle has witnessed untold horrors, and yet it still survives. Many medieval castles didn't witness combat or siege conditions as Rochester endured; yet they were wiped from the face of the landscape centuries ago. This just shows the enduring power and simplicity of Rochester, beaten down but still very much alive, and remains a haunting reminder of the Norman Conquest.

'Hmm... interesting. There's so much to consider here. Let's see if I can figure it out.'

Grace sends Gerde e-mail, asking to find any references about ghosts from the Schattenjager journals. 'Now. I guess I should do some snooping of my own.'

Grace leaves the library, and goes through the castle like a treasure seeker. Every hall was vast and dark, even though rays of light were illuminating through the arching windows. Grace looked through some of the rooms, but they didn't spark interest. But something caught her eye while she was walking. There were many portraits, paintings, and sculptures dispersed throughout the castle. Most of them were based on Roman and Greek mythology: The Odyssey, Julius Caesar, Hercules, and Zeus. 'Hmm. All based on a journey for respect and power. Just like the battles this castle has been through.' From all of these, one painting was standing out at the end of the hall. It was painting of a caterpillar breaking out of its cocoon, transformed into a butterfly. It was titled "Metamorphoses". Grace felt a shiver down her spine. 'There's something about this painting that I can't put my finger on.' Then Grace noticed something that was next to the painting, there was a small hole.looked like a knothole. 'Hmm.what's that?' She tries to look through and sees a very dim light that was illuminating the area. All that could be seen is a passageway that leads somewhere, to a lower level. 'I wonder what's there.'

From a distance, a shadow watches her.

She shrugged and continued exploring. As she started to walk towards the library, voices echoed from afar. 'What's that?' She followed the echo, and the voices started to sound clearer. The echo led to a door that wasn't completely closed. Grace slowly went toward the door, making sure she didn't make any noise. She peeked through and saw Evelyn and Jonathan talking in a whisper.

Evelyn: Jonathan, what are we going to do?

Jonathan: We have to persuade them to prolong our stay here. This is our home. We can't let this happen.

Evelyn: I agree. We have to fight. Even if we lose, we need time to get rid of these ghosts before it gets worse.

'What are they talking about? What have they got to hide?'

The figure comes toward her.

Grace then turns around to be right in front of Lizzie. Grace gasps from her shock, but stays quiet.

Lizzie: What do you think you're doing?

Grace: I'm just... exploring.

Lizzie: Well explore somewhere else!

Grace: Hey, I heard voices and I thought it was something important. Sorry if my investigative side was peeking out!

Lizzie: You don't have to give me attitude.

Grace: Look who's talking.

Evelyn: Grace?

Grace: Oh hi.

Jonathan: Is something wrong?

Grace: No. Lizzie and I were just talking.

Lizzie: Yeah, whatever!

She runs out of sight. 'What a brat!' Three of them go into the study.

Grace: What's her problem?

Evelyn: I don't know. She's driving me crazy! We barely see her. She keeps on going outside the castle grounds.

Grace: Teenagers! The rebellious years.

Jonathan: Yes, but this generation is much better at that than we were.

Grace: Tell me about it! Speaking of rebels, have you seen Gabriel?

Jonathan: Yes, the last time I saw him was upstairs. But he probably went to the city.

Grace: Oh. (small beat) I was wondering. Does this city have a museum? It might help a lot with the case.

Jonathan: As a matter of fact yes. The Guildhall Museum is at the river end on High Street.

Grace: Great! Thank you so much.

Evelyn: No, we should thank you, and of course Gabriel. Both of you have given us hope for the better.

Grace: We're just doing our job. (short pause) Speaking of which, I have to ask. From all the deaths and mishaps in this castle, have you seen any evidence of the crimes proving the suspect is a ghost? Have you seen the killings with your own eyes?

Jonathan: Being a little skeptical Grace?

Grace: No. I'm just doing my job. I need to know what exactly we're dealing with.

Evelyn: Like what we said before. What we are dealing with are ghosts. And to answer your question, yes. We don't see them all the time. But we hear their voices, their cold aura. See Grace, they don't need to kill. Just by existing they are torturing us.

Grace: I'm sorry. It must be like hell. But since when have they appeared?

Jonathan: It's been a while. Since we were children, probably before then. But as time passed, the ghosts kept on increasing, filled with rage.

Grace: One more question. Do both of you have any idea why these ghosts have such motive?

Evelyn: I don't have a clue.

Jonathan: Likewise.

Grace: Ok. Thanks for answering all my questions.

Jonathan: It's no problem at all.

Grace leaves the room all to themselves. 'I don't buy it. Something is up with those two. It's up to me to find out what.' She walked towards the window, giving a full view of the city. 'I wonder what Gabriel is up to.'

Meanwhile.

Gabriel was walking through the city, trying to find the police station. As he was walking down the street, he passed a newsstand. A headline caught his eye:

ANOTHER TRAGIC DEATH IN ROCHESTER. WHEN WILL IT STOP?

Gabriel: Hi, how much for this newspaper?

Newsstand guy: Five pence.

Gabriel: (skims through wallet) Here you go.

Newsstand guy: Have a nice day.

Gabriel: Thanks.

Gabriel starts skimming through the article. He finds something:

Another death has occurred in the Rochester Castle. It is still a mystery as to who is responsible for such killings. The Police Department's Chief Inspector, Connors, has a theory, that one has a personal vendetta against the Kents or the castle itself. Many believe that with the castle's murky past, there's more to it than meets the eye. When will this stop? Can the law end this madness? Only time will tell.

Gabriel was wandering around while he was reading attentively. 'Hmm, interesting. I should get to meet this Chief Inspector.' As he looks up, he's a few feet away from the police station. 'Well, what do you know?' He quickly goes in. As he enters, the young receptionist greets him.

Receptionist: How may I help you?

Gabriel: (with charm) Hi. The question is how may help you ?

Receptionist: (blushing) Do you have any business here?

Gabriel: That depends. (short beat) Well, I'm here to see Chief Connors.

Receptionist: What is your name?

Gabriel: My name's Knight, Gabriel Knight.

She calls in to his office.

Receptionist: I'm so sorry, but Chief Connors doesn't want to see you.

Gabriel: Umm.(looking at her ID) Francine? Boy that's a beautiful name. You seem like you're great at your job.

Francine: Thank you Mr. Knight.

Gabriel: Call me Gabriel.

Francine: (blushes more) Gabriel.

Gabriel: So could you please try to persuade the Chief to see me? It would mean a great deal.

Francine: I don't-

Gabriel: Please?

Francine: I'll try.

Gabriel: Francine, thank you.

She calls the Chief's office again. Francine shakes her head.

Francine: I'm sorry. He's a very stubborn man.

Gabriel: It's alright. Thanks anyway.

He walks out of the police station. 'Damn! How am I going to get in there? There are guards. Now think Gabriel.' On the other side of the street, a man was changing his flat tire. He has two spare tires. An idea came to Gabriel that made him grin. 'I think I know how to get in.'

The man finished changing his tire. As he turned around to take his spare.

Man: Hey, where's my spare?

It was very quiet inside the police station. The silence was broken when all of a sudden a flaming tire rolled into the lobby.

Guard 1: What the hell?

Guard 2: Who bloody did this?

Francine: Oh my God.

Francine got up from her desk and went to grab the fire extinguisher. All the guards were chasing the tire like a bunch of kids. Gabriel cunningly went to the door where the guards were previously standing. 'And Grace thought that watching cable network movies wouldn't be helpful.' Gabriel went inside and found himself in a hall with many doors. He passed some rooms where suspects were being interrogated, until he was right in front of Chief Connors office. He opened the door.

Connors: Who are you? I'm not expecting anybody!

Connors seems to be in his late thirties, dark haired, slim, tall, and a pale complexion. 'Why does everybody look dead in this city?'

Gabriel: I know you're not expecting anyone. But frankly I don't care.

Connors: What do you want?

Gabriel: My name is Gabriel Knight. I was the one who was trying to see you. But I can see that you're extremely busy.

Connors: I know who you are Mr. Knight. The Kents hired you to investigate my case!

Gabriel: Oh, your case! I didn't see your name on it.

Connors: You don't understand. I'm the only one who gives a sh*t about this case in this department. Everybody has given up.

Gabriel: Well, there's nothing wrong with having some help. I can help you.

Connors: (looks at him) I highly doubt it.

Gabriel: Don't let my appearance deceive you. I've done many cases like this.

Connors: Really? (laughs) I can't picture it!

Gabriel: You would be surprised. (pauses) But seriously, I need some information about the previous victims, or even previous cases. It could make a big difference, might even crack the case.

Connors: There have been nine victims. All died the same way. As for previous cases, that information is confidential.

Gabriel: Oh come on Chief!

Connors: It is against the law to give that information to a civilian!

Gabriel: I'm a private investigator. Just think of me as a fellow law enforcer.

Connors: No means no.

Gabriel: No wonder you haven't solved the case yet!

Connors: I don't take insults lightly, Mr. Knight.

Gabriel: Well you-

Man: I'm sorry to interrupt but Chief Connors, may I talk to you outside?

Connors: Yes.

He goes outside, closing the door. Gabriel gets up from his chair. 'I need something in order to eavesdrop without him knowing.' He sees the glass on his desk. 'Bingo!' He takes the glass and puts it on the door.

Connors: When is the package coming?

Man: Any day sir.

Connors: Good, I have been waiting for so long. Thank you John.

John: You're welcome sir.

'This package seems to be important. I wonder what it is.' He hurries back to his seat. Connors comes back inside.

Connors: Mr. Knight, it's getting late and I have to-

Gabriel: I get the picture. There's no way I can get through that thick skull of yours. Have a nice day.

Gabriel leaves the station. 'I'm gonna get the info I need somehow.' He then heads back to the castle.

He enters the castle, and the only noise that was heard was when he shut the door. 'Where's everybody? It's too quiet in here. I don't like it.' It suddenly got cold. Gabriel started feeling weird. He searched throughout the first floor for any evidence that people exist. Then he found Grace in the kitchen, asleep on the table. 'Huh. She's so peaceful.'

Gabriel: (tapping on her shoulder) Hey Grace. Gracie.

Grace: (gasps) What? What?

Gabriel: Calm down honey. It's me.

Grace: Oh, when did you arrive?

Gabriel: It hasn't been that long. Where's everybody?

Grace: They're asleep. Actually they are trying to sleep.

Gabriel: It's so early. It's only eight o'clock.

Grace: Yeah, well they've been on their toes for a while. I guess the earlier they sleep, the better the chance of not freaking out.

Gabriel: Yeah, that makes sense.

Grace: So what's up?

Gabriel: I've got some info on the case. It's not much. I got this from the crime scene upstairs.

He put it on the table.

Grace: What is that?

Gabriel: It's some clear residue. I'll take it down to the forensics tomorrow. And plus I met the Chief Inspector today. He's some piece of work! He didn't give me sh*t!

Grace: What did he tell you?

Gabriel: There have been nine victims all died the same way. And he didn't even say how they died. I'm going to get those files somehow.

Grace: You'll figure it out.

Gabriel: How about you? What did you find?

Grace: Not much. The books in the library don't have much information on Rochester. Which make sense since the people live here. There's a museum in town. I'm going to check it out. It has a tour.

Gabriel: Your specialty! Anything else?

Grace: Yes. There's something funny going on between Evelyn and Jonathan. They are keeping something from us.

Gabriel: How do you know?

Grace: I eavesdropped. They said that they had to fight for something. That they wouldn't give up. Do you have any idea what they may be talking about?

Gabriel:(pauses)

Grace: What is it?

Gabriel: I think I know what they are hiding. I found this upstairs as well.

Puts the papers on the able.

Grace: Real estate? Are they trying to sell this place?

Gabriel: From what you overheard, I think that the real estate is trying to take this place.

Grace: Probably the reason is the number of deaths that have occurred in the castle.

Gabriel: Maybe. But I think there's probably more to it.

Grace: You're probably right. Let's gather more evidence and then we'll tell them.

Gabriel: I don't get why they had to hide this.

Grace: Me neither. But we'll find out.

Gabriel: (yawns) I don't know why, but I'm sleepy.

Grace: Me too. I guess this place can do that to you.

Gabriel: Tomorrow is another day. Let's go to bed.

Both of them go upstairs. Grace goes in the room, but just when Gabriel goes in.

Aduvio confuto reperio

Gabriel: Hey, did you hear that?

Grace: Hear what?

Gabriel: (moment of silence) Nothing. Forget it.

A shadow in the distance.

Gabriel looks back one more time, and then heads into the room.

The next day, Grace woke up early in the morning. 'It's digging time!' She goes downstairs just when the Kents were having breakfast.

Jonathan: Good morning Grace.

Grace: Good morning.

Evelyn: Would you like to have some pancakes?

Grace: That actually sounds good. Thank you.

Evelyn: It's our pleasure. It's the least we could do.

Grace: I just feel weird not helping out. I'm not the kind of person who just sits and lets everyone else do the work.

Jonathan: Nonsense. Both you and Gabriel are our guests.

Grace: (smiles)

Evelyn: Lizzie! Breakfast is ready.

She comes in.

Lizzie: Good morning Mrs. Knight.

Grace: Good morning. And Grace please.

Lizzie: Ok Grace.

Jonathan: Here are your pancakes.

Lizzie: Thanks bro, but I'm not that hungry. I'll just grab a muffin.

Evelyn: No you are not. Look at you! You are skin and bones. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. So I won't allow you grabbing a muffin.

Lizzie: Oh please Evy! You are not my mother.

She grabs a muffin and leaves.

Evelyn: That girl!

Grace: I take it she's not a morning person.

Jonathan: She is not a day or night person either.

Grace: Well, thank you for the breakfast. I better get going and start cracking this case. See you later.

Both: Bye.

Grace heads toward the door and goes out of the castle.

.She is just a few steps away from the museum. 'It's time to get what this place is all about.' She enters just in the nick of time.a group was about to take a tour. A young man would lead the tourists.

Man: Good morning to you all. I'm Artin Baker. Thank for coming to Rochester and to the Guildhall Museum. If there is any question, I'll be happy to oblige.

Grace goes through the exhibit.

Going back to 500 B.C., Iron Age settlers known as Celts came to Kent and settled around Rochester. Tribes from Northern Europe came across and settled. They were known as 'The Belgae'. They may have settled there, but they didn't make Rochester as it is today.

The people who are responsible for that are the Romans. The Romans started spreading their empire to the United Kingdom in 43 A.D.

'Right after the past Gabriel and I came here. Interesting.'

The Romans built the bridge over River Medway. At about 193 A.D., the Roman Governor of Britain Clodius Albinus decided to build a fort so he could make himself Emperor. As you can see from outside, parts of the wall can still be seen today. It is about 2.4 meters thick.

Grace passes the artifacts, but there are a few. There were some clay pots, sandals, etc. But one thing caught her eye. It was a document or article that is dated back to 34 A.D.

Grace takes a look at it. '34 A.D. That's when the past Gabriel died! This piece of paper may be vital. If only I can take it!'

It wasn't until 602 A.D. when Monks started to record the history of Rochester and that's why we don't have much information before then.

The first castle was raised here at the time of the Norman Conquest. This early fortification was rebuilt for King William Rufus between 1087-89 by Gundulf, Bishop of Rochester, and was one of the earliest castles in this country to be fortified in stone. Early records suggest that after the conquest, both the City and Castle of Rochester were awarded to the half-brother of King William, Odo, Bishop of Bayeux. Before his disgrace and imprisonment in 1082, Odo was a dominant figure in Norman England and was awarded the earldom of Kent by William after the conquest.

The city was well placed for raids on London and it also enabled them to devastate the lands of Kent, particularly those belonging to Lanfranc, Archbishop of Canterbury, who had crowned Rufus and was therefore Odo's and the rebels' enemy.

'I already know the rest. There's got to be more! Maybe Artin will know.'

Grace went toward him.

Grace: Hi. My name is Grace Nakimura.

Artin: Well thank you for coming Ms. Nakimura. Is there anything I can help you with?

Grace: Yes there is. Rochester seems like a very nice town. It has such rich history. I can't help but being intrigued.

Artin: Yes, it does have that effect on people.

Grace: It's just that I wonder. There's got to be more than just who came here, and what they did.

Artin: Are you really that intrigued?

Grace: Yes. I'm pretty sure that Rochester has had its share of mysteries.

Artin: It certainly does.

Grace: Could you tell me?

Artin: I would love to! It has been a while since anyone would ask me.

Grace: Ok. First of all the castle has surpassed many sieges. What were the main reasons for them?

Artin: That is simple. Power. King Rufus's half brother Odo was rewarded the city and castle. And he was the principal cause of the first siege in 1088. There had been a conflict between the family, mostly his sons and half brothers. Soon the castle became the headquarters for the rebels.

Grace: What happened to his eldest son?

Artin: Robert stopped at nothing to regain his family's legacy. He gained power over Tonbridge and Pevensey with both his uncles under heavy guard. Bishop Odo swore to surrender, but little did he know that Rochester would not give in. The mystery is that with little effort they saved Bishop Odo.

Grace: But it didn't end there.

Artin: Unfortunately it didn't. Rufus had a lot of power and he held the castle under siege again. All the rebellious leaders were constantly plagued by heat and disease. Eventually, they surrendered and went their separate ways.

Grace: After that, it went into the hands of Bishop Gundulf.

Artin: Yes it did. And he was also responsible of rebuilding the castle and the Rochester Cathedral. He felt that with all these incidents, the city would need a place of worship.

Grace: And during most of the twelfth century, the castle was taken care of by several archbishops.

Artin: Until King Richard 1. But it took nearly three years for King John to have custody of the castle. He was not happy that the Archbishop of Canterbury had control. But then Stephen Langton came in the picture. He was disliked by John. Langton opposed John's actions, which led to the signing of the Magna Carta.

Grace: There have been many versions of what happened. It's still a question mark.

Artin: That is true. The following events that lead up to the great siege in 1215 are rather confusing.

Grace: Could you please tell me?

Artin: Of course. I'm glad that there is someone out there just as curious as me! In 1215 King John and Langton had an agreement that the castle should be in the custody of the royal constable Reginald de Cornhill until Easter of 1215. When the term was up, the custody would go back to the Archbishop. The castle was restored to Langton in June of 1215, after a peace treaty was arranged between King John, Langton, and the rebel barons.

Grace: But since King John disliked Langton, he requested that another bishop take his place.

Artin: Which led to another disagreement.

Grace: Which led the rebels and Langton to seize Rochester.

Artin: Yes, but in the end there were more casualties than a victory.

Grace: But there was another siege a few years later.

Artin: The one that caused a lot of damage, but it's still here.

Grace: Hmm. Lately I've been thinking about the castle and it's situation.

Artin: By situation, do you mean murders?

Grace: Yes. Do you think there's more to it? I mean this Castle has had so many deaths and tragedies.

Artin: Yes, I do believe that there's more. Many believe it is the work of ghosts.

Grace: Do you believe that that is possible?

Artin: Living here my whole life, there have been many murders like the ones right now. Part of me cannot help but to believe. So many pure and evil souls have been released in this city for thousands of years. There has been a rumor that Charles Dickens's soul roams around the city, even in the castle. I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. It has even gone to the point of leasing the castle as a pleasure garden.

Grace: What? Are you serious?

Artin: Yes I am not joking around. People have heard that the castle is being taken from the Kents because of the recent murders.

Grace: (moment of silence) Well, thank you for everything Artin. You've helped me a lot!

Artin: (smiles) Anytime Grace.

Grace leaves the museum. 'Well what do you know? This time curiosity didn't kill the cat! Gabriel and I will deal with them later.'

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev