Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

ShadowChancer

Chapter 9

by MistThing, published on February 19, 2001

- "I don't know about this, Gracie..." - Gabriel stared doubtfully at the lighted, flickering sign above the coffee house street window.

Grace already stepped inside, saving him the internal conflict, and he followed her in with a dismissive sigh. A different coffee guy was serving at the bar tonight. Actually, it was a coffee-girl. The girl was the very-slim type, her black hair and eyes contrasting oddly with her white skin. She wore a "Starlight Cybercafe" logo T-shirt. The whole scene seemed strangely familiar to Grace, in a twisted way...

As Grace entered, the girl raised her head from a colorful comics magazine. "Seeking sanctuary, travelers?" - she asked.

-"Maybe," - Grace said.

Gabriel sniggered.

The coffee house was clear of night customers at this hour, its four computers blinking their screensavers in somewhat soothing harmony. Grace sat down at one post.

-"Mmmm ... I'm sure I'm not gonna like *that*" - Gabriel pulled up a chair and seated himself beside Grace. As her fingers ran on the keyboard, he extended his legs and drummed aimlessly on his worn out jeans.

-"Sorry, Gabriel, you'll have to check the 'Hot Babes' site later" - Grace sneered.

-"Nah, I prefer them live, Gracie..." - his gaze wandered curiously around. "Honey, you've got some coffee to spare?" - he called, looking in the bar's general direction.

The girl looked at him over her comic book. "Well, it *is* a coffee house" - she replied, amused - "Got any preferences, Mister?"

-"Just make it black ... and strong. And don't 'Mister' me, huh? The name's Gabriel."

-"For god's sake, Gabriel, she's a teenager!" - Grace stared at him sideways.

-"Ouch ... that hurt, Gracie..." - he smiled - "I don't rob cradles, y'know..."

-"You get a 'ten' for that candid smile, and a 'five' for credibility." Grace concentrated on the screen in front of her, images and colorful texts flashing and alternating under her fingers tips.

-"A five? I'm up one point in your little black book, then" - he said, a hint of sadness sneaking into his voice.

The girl came and silently placed the espresso cup on the table near Gabriel. "God, what're ya servin' here in Seattle?" - he lifted the small cup, studying it suspiciously - "Do I look small-size to ya, sweetie?"

-"You should've said double, then" - the girl went back to her reading at the bar.

-"Sh*t..." - Grace drove her fist into the table - "I guess I should've expected that ... but..."

-"Expect ... what, Gracie?" - demanded Gabriel. He swallowed his coffee in one continuous gulp and thrust the empty cup on the computer's table.

-"Uh ... just look at this..." - Grace pointed frustrated at the black screen.

Gabriel leaned closer, reading aloud the phosphorus characters: "Psion Comics is currently down for maintenance." He sighed. "So, they don't handle rejection very well, do they?"

-"F*ck it!" - Grace shook her head, her tone bitter - "For once, I ... I'd like that things ... Uh, scrape that." - she landed her fist on the table again.

-"You could still talk to me, Miss." Gabriel and Grace turned their heads simultaneously towards the new voice.

-"Damn!" - said Gabriel, pushing his hair backwards.

-"You... - said Grace, a slight smile on her face.

The girl at the bar has disappeared, replaced by Grace's coffee guy from last night. He put down his colorful magazine on the table, open and face down.

-"Sh*t..." - muttered Gabriel - "Where did *she* go?"

-"Nowhere, really" - said the boy - "She's here. I'm here."


Grace got up and approached the bar hesitantly. "Who are you?" - She asked. "*What* are you?"

The boy's dark gaze observed her, expressionless. "I can tell you half-truths" - he said - "or absolute fabrications. Which do you prefer?"

-"What're ya hidin', Starbucks" - Gabriel took his place beside Grace now, studying the boy - "A sexual identity conflict?"

Grace shoved her elbow into Gabriel's ribs, squeezing an amused protest out of him.

-" What am I, Grace?" - said the boy, his voice flat, and his eyes impermeable black glass - "A coffee house keeper. A go-between. An image caster. Who am I? That's a different story, to be told in a different time..." The boy laid his hands over the open comic magazine on the bar. "Take out your notebook, Grace. It's time to even up the odds."

-"Sh*t..." - said Gabriel again, scratching his head. Grace spread her notebook in front of her.

-"Now, ask me, Grace" - said the boy.

-"Fine..." - Grace chewed on her pencil - "Wade Parker?"

The boy smiled. "Alias: Mind Draft, as you heard already ... A vicious mind-reader, and a few extras ... His name is a mix between Peter Parker, known as Spiderman; and Wade Wilson, aka Deadpool of Marvel's comics."

-"Huh! Same code system!" - Grace wrote the names down, and asked - "Seline Isley?"

-"A b*tchy one..." - the boy's smile widened - "Alias: China Moon. A powerful emotion caster. Her name is a mix between Seline Kyle, aka Catwoman of DC Comics; and Pamella Lillian Isley, aka Poison Ivy ... same comics company."

-"Great!" - Grace scrabbled quickly - "Last ... Sara Mattews..."

-"Yes..." - the boy tilted his head - "Sara ... I liked her. Alias: Barricade. Creates powerful mind shields. Her name mixes Sara Pezzini from the 'Switchblade' comics series, and Aspene Mattews of the 'Fathom' series. Barricade is one of the Renegades ... like your friend, Spark."

 

Last update: October 25, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev | next »