Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

ShadowChancer

Chapter 12

by MistThing, published on February 28, 2001

"I feel ... exposed, Gabriel ... ever since we ran out of Psion Inc., I do" - Grace shivered slightly in the early morning chilliness, throwing a look at the Rainier Square building towering forty stories above them.

-"Startin' to get soggy again ... damn weather..." - Gabriel drew his jacket tighter - "what d'ya mean by 'exposed', Grace?" - he leered at her.

-"Stuff that look, huh?" - Grace stamped on the ground repeatedly, trying to kick the cold away - "Save it for someone who cares."

-"I'm not sure who's damn colder, you or Seattle" - Gabriel stared into his empty coffee paper cup and cast it away.

Grace sighed at seeing this. "We're supposed to find this Leigh person now, I guess" - she remarked.

-"Leigh..." - Gabriel thought aloud - "supposing it *is* a person, then he or she are *supposed* to be found at the Blueprints exhibit, or be connected to it somehow. Too many *supposing* to my taste in this ... fine mornin'."

-"Your brain is having a hard time dealing with figurative thinking, Gabriel?"

-"Uh ... figurative thinking ... I bet it's not what I think it is" - he laughed.

-"Oh, I bet..." - Grace frowned slightly. She took a look at the note Mike wrote down for her. "Rainier Square, 4th Avenue and Union" - she read - "Level 3. Come on, Brainiac. Let's go..."

The large level-3 hall opened to a gate-like entrance, an arch based on two white marblelike pillars. The embossed, clean-lined letters above the arch solemnly announced, " Seattle Architectural Foundation ". The wide space behind it hosted the Blueprints exhibit ... and a swirling, bustling crowd of children all clattering excitedly.

-"It brings to mind a nightmare I had once" - Gabriel stared at the kids - "One of my worsts, actually..."

Grace glanced at a pamphlet she picked up. "They're probably here for 'CityWalks for Kids', Gabriel" - she remarked - "Listen to this ... 'CityWalks for Kids is a tour program for elementary school students to learn the impact and importance of art and design, history, social studies, science, and mathematics and their influence on the built environment. Architecture is an ideal real-world example that ties together these different areas of study, offering a coordinated teaching and learning experience.' That's a truly great learning experience for young children, don't you think?"

-"Huh ... my view of learning experience is a little different, Gracie..."

-"Oh, excuse me, I forgot who I was talking to. It's just that..."

-"Yeah, Grace?"

Grace looked at Gabriel, considering whether to say it aloud. "Uh, well ... You're getting further away from the big Three-O, Gabriel ... I thought ... I mean, 'Haunted Passion' ? Really, Gabriel..."

Gabriel studied her newly-flushed face. "So, you've read it" - he grinned.

-"No, I didn't."

-"You ... touched it, then..."

-"You make every innocent remark sound dirty! It's a talent, Gabriel." Grace placed her hand quickly on Gabriel's mouth. "And don't you dare say it's only one of your *many* talents, huh? Let's call it quits now."

Gabriel smiled, taking her hand in his. "Sure, Grace ... you win."

-"Leigh! Leigh, get your ... behind ... in here, and that's the only language I can use in front of these kids!" - the caller was a young man who just emerged from the depths of the S.A.F. exhibit rooms. He appeared to be suffering from a devastating headache, trying to control his hands from going up to his ears.

-"You're the teacher?" - he walked to an irritated-looking woman.

The woman was trying to break up a minor quarrel between two kids while attempting to prevent two others from wandering off. She nodded while shouting, "Don't go there, Britney" at a petit redhead.

The young man seemed apologetic. "I'm sorry, your guide, Leigh, will be here shortly" - he said reassuringly.

Young Britney meanwhile trod to the SAF gate, and stared wide-eyed at Gabriel while sucking on her thumb.

-"I still have it" - Gabriel chuckled. Grace snorted.

The teacher sighed. "It's just not my day" - she told the young SAF man - "The two parents who were supposed to accompany us are terribly late..."

Gabriel and Grace exchanged glances.

-"But ... we've been here for more then half an hour already, Teach'!" - exclaimed Gabriel with a wide smile.

The teacher looked at Gabriel and Grace suspiciously. "I don't think I know you. Are you parents?"

-"Me? Sure..." - Gabriel winked at little Britney, and she walked out of the SAF gate, straight to his arms. He picked her up.

-"Yes, I think I can see the resemblance now" - the teacher smiled, appearing exhausted - "Is that your wife?" She gestured at Grace.

-"I'm a widower" - replied Gabriel - "This is just somebody else's ma..."

Grace gave him a homicidal look, and then smiled sweetly at the teacher.

-"Here, guys, here, I'm Leigh!" - a young brunette rushed through the Level-3 hall to the S.A.F gate and gestured to the noisy crowd. The children cheered. "Sorry, sorry I'm late..." - Leigh flashed a smile at the SAF man's direction. "You could always fire me after the tour..."

-"I think I like her" - Gabriel smiled broadly at Grace.

-"Well, surprise, surprise..." - Grace shook her head hopelessly.

Britney giggled in Gabriel's arms.

 

Last update: October 25, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev | next »