Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

Silencing the Screamer

Part 1

by Christina Kazmierczak, published on October 30, 2000

"What?" Grace Nakimura exclaimed. "You can't be sending me away after two weeks?"

Chadrel leaned back in his chair and peered at the computer in front of him. "Now Grace, you can not say there have not been incidents."

"It was not my fault that those two were playing with volatile mixtures... I mean who was to know that plants could react like that. Those plants anyway." Grace looked down. "Wait a minute! I was the one who out the fire out not to mention I am the best damn apprentice you have here! And if you think I am going to put up with this treatment-"

"And you are short on patience." Chadrel put a lock of his hair back behind his ear. "Which is why you need to go back to the states."

"But what will I do – I am not going back to school till next semester!" Grace threw up her hands.

"Which is why I thought San Diego might interest you." Chadrel turned the screen and motioned Grace to look at it.

Grace hesitated a moment before getting closer. After looking at the screen a moment, she bit her bottom lip. "There is a connection function here... I am not sure but ... there is something in wounds. A pattern of sort -- although I probably can not tell unless I saw a better reproduction of the body..."

"Which is why I chose you to go. None of the adepts would have made out the connection. I haven't been able to get too much information from the Internet. Not a lot is being released by the cops. However, all the victims are young runaways engaged in prostitution. You could start interviewing their friends in two days, if you are willing?"

Grace blinked. He can't be asking me to...? "Two days?"

Chadrel nodded. "We do not have that transporter technology you believe will occur one day. Poor Grace, " he said in mock seriousness, "you will have to walk to the bus, take the bus to the airport... Okay, a week or two."


11:30 P.M. eight days later

Grace was the last one off the plane. Her body hurt to much to get off when the seat in front of her evacuated, so she stayed on till everyone else was off. She entered the states via Hawaii then transferred in San Jose to a San Diego Flight.

"I don't know what flight agency Chadrel used. It got me here quickly – but if I had to transfer one more time...

Grace stopped. The airport was shutting down. The flight attendants were walking out and the only other persons she saw were the cleaning crews scurrying around like cockroaches after the lights have been turned off.

"Excuse me. You must be Grace." An almost robotic voice said. Behind Grace.

Grace jumped and turned around, her arm in a swing.

Which was securely caught by a hand in brown velvet. Grace's eyes went from the hand to the corresponding body – also encased in brown velvet up to its neck. (What's left of it, Grace thought.) The person was a few inches taller then Grace. Emancipated and scared, Grace couldn't decide if the person was mail or female.

The scaring looked like burns. A random tuft appeared on the body's head were hair would appear on a healthy person. And the coloration of the scars swirled slightly like they were getting lighter.

"Your body is repairing it!"

"Well, that's a nice hiddy ho. I am Alexi – and you were sent by?"

"Chadrel, the super travel agent."

"Up to his old tricks? Let's get out of here before they lock us up. Oh, by the way, you will be staying with me." Alexi started moving to an escalator.

Grace waited a minute before following. "Just peachy."


Grace sighed.

She sat at a dinning room table going over police report after police report.

"All victims are apart teen runaways. All have police records. Most for prostitution. Five of the seven are male. Death by serrated blade. All cuts done to major arteries. Traces of arsenic. All victims were drugged before hand."

"The living room is ready for you. The couch is made up. Choose your computer and books."

Grace nodded, her eyes never leaving the sheets in front of her. "Sounds good... Alexi, I am sorry about what happened in the airport. That is no way to great anyone."

"No worries. Make yourself at home. I'll be in the bedroom if you need anything."

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

next »