Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

Silencing the Screamer

Part 4

by Christina Kazmierczak, published on November 13, 2000

Grace waited till they got back to Alexi's apartment before tearing into her. "So I am to be the unbiased mind? Who and or what gives you the right to dictate to me what I should and should not know?"

Alexi shrugged. "Okay, maybe I am wrong. But I am trying to protect the person who may be our only source of information other than the cops. Look, I'll try to get in contact with her –- see if she gives me the heads up to give you anything more useful -- anything that can be used to identify her."

With that Alexi walked over to the living room.

(Well, Grace thought, what else can you expect from someone who looks like the decaying friend from An American Werewolf in London. That's wrong. She is trying. Just of limited capability.)

"He! There's a community college across the street!." Grace said over the typing emanating from the next room. "May be we can get some help there."

"It's worth a shot. Just buzz down stairs and I will let you back in."


30 minutes later

Grace sat in the office of a professor Richard Didley.

Professor of comparative religion, Dr. Didley taught classes in comparative religion, ancient history and ethics. An attractive, but obviously egotistical man, Grace had gained his attention by flattery. Basically, she went to admissions, found his name and background and smoothed up to him.

(My time with Gabriel wasn't completely wasted. I've learned to charm the academic elite. Well, those elite in their own eyes.)

"Ms. Nakimura. So what do I owe the pleasure of your company? Doing research for another of the Dirk Backlash Mysteries?"

"What? You've read them?" (And Gabriel actually gave me credit for research?!?)

Didley raffled his hand through blonde hair. "Yes, though I do think some of the passages on the vodoun and lycanthropy are a bit... simplistic."

"You know... The taste of the American reader being as it is and all." When the guy had nodded, Grace continued. "Actually, I am doing a bit of research of my own for a historical look at human sacrifice." (Hopefully that will come up with something...)

"What an interesting topic." Didley warmed. "One religion in particular or cross culturally?"

"Cross culturally." Grace chirped. She wasn't sure why, but something about how he said 'one religion' had scared her. Those words had made her feel colder than she had ever been in Germany.

"Well, there is that whole Celtic mess and the Aztec basket ball game. But have you looked into either the crusades or the Spanish inquisition as a source? Dig deep enough and many religions have made human sacrifices. Look at the Minoans, a highly civilized and peaceful society, they even turned to human sacrifice when their culture fell apart."

Grace interrupted. "I have been doing research on the crusades a bit. But I haven't come up with anything interesting. Are you saying it is normal for a society to practice human sacrifice when it begin to deteriorate?"

"Not normal, just not unusual." He replied. Looking at his watch, he continued. "I haven't eaten yet, would you like to join me? I have an hour till my next class. I must say that I find this conversation stimulating."

Grace found herself nodding then shook her head. (What is it with this guy?) But she already knew. Blonde hair, well groomed, covering a developed mind. A man with a suit just tight enough to give a hint at a sculpted body. (One that is well used.) Grace found herself blushing at that thought. Roman nose, high cheekbones, powerful blue eyes. The look of a Mediaeval angel. (Or a Medieval demon, Grace reminded herself.)

Grace shook slightly. "Can I take a rain check? I have to check back with my friend. I just got into San Dingo and if I don't check back with her soon she will worry."

Didley smiled and kissed the palm Grace didn't know she offered. "Feel free to call me anytime..."

As soon as Grace got out of the office she felt dirty. (No violated. Like the guy was a Class A sleazoid. If I have been taking lessons from Gabe in the charm department, Dr. Didley-squat could have been taking lessons from Madeline Queen of Sleazy.)

Buzzing into the apartment was easy. So why did Grace find herself running up the stairs without even a look at the elevator?

"Whoa there!" Alexi said, opening up the door. "You nearly cashed into me! What's wrong?"

"Just don't feel-"

"Get in here!" Alexi grabbed Grace and practically threw Grace behind her.

Planting her feet a meter apart, in a token battle stance, Alexi stood straight. "Show yourself, or I will do it for you?"

Nothing...

Several seconds followed then Alexi seemed to grow a couple of inches and take on the appearance of some olive skinned debutante. With a very visible golden aura. Hitting into the air, she connect with something.

A something that hit the floor and materialized into a something both humanoid and insect like at the same time.

The person who had been Alexi smiled ferally. In a satin voice she asked, "Predator anyone?"

Grace felt rather, then heard the thing answer. "Do not fool yourself! We are the same!"

"Then do we have the same goals?" Grace didn't know if it was herself or the golden aura asking.

"If you mean the destruction of who ever has been killing the young ones... Then the answer is yes."

"Diplomatic answer." Grace heard herself respond.

"Too much so. Come in, we might as well work together... for now."

"Yes, for now." The thing said/emoted and took on a somewhat more human appearance. It reminded Grace of a light skinned bob Marley.

Alexi went back to her previous appearance, almost. She looked more human too. Although nothing like the golden auraed beauty. Just... less damaged. "I REALLY DO NOT LIKE PEOPLE IN MY HEAD, SHRINKS OR OTHERWISE, so can we please talk like normal human beings?"

To that, both Grace and the thing shot a single eyebrow up.

Alexi sighed. "Okay, like rational human beings."

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev | next »