Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

Silencing the Screamer

Part 6

by Christina Kazmierczak, published on November 30, 2000

(late in the second day in San Diego)

SCHLOSS RITTER

"GERDE!"

Gabriel was not amused. In fact he was quite ticked. There he was, all cozy with his typewriter in front of fire. Add a glass of wine and few women and he would have been a well satisfied man. Or back at Von Glowers. But that could wait, he was almost at the end of chapter-

"CRUNCH BAM DRIP CRUNCH."

Jumping out of his seat would have been an understatement. So entranced was Gabriel with his own words that... well... he leapt a good five feet out of his chair. For those familiar with the terminology, Gabriel got some serious air-time.

"CRUNCH BAM DRIP CRUNCH." Louder.

"CRUNCH BAM DRIP CRUNCH." Louder still. Gabriel put his hand over his ears.

Again and again that infernal racket. Gabriel could not have it. This was his home after all, and a man's home is his castle. "Not usually so literally, still there is something kinda -"

"CRUNCH BAM DRIP CRUNCH."

"That's it!" Gabriel's walk became a brisk jog to the sound. Then he was just separated by a wall. Just a wall and the noise would end. Gabriel opened a door and stepped through. "GERDE WHAT IN THE HECK ARE YOU DOING!"

"Nothing, Herr Knight. Just straightening an unused room."

Gabriel looked around. "Unused room! You know better then that. This is Grace's room." It hit him then. Where he was. Where he had walked to without realizing it.

Boxes and packing material lay all over the place. Gabriel could see clothing and other things thrown across the cardboard carriers. From the looks of it Gerde was taking down the place. And pretty distraught about it.

Gabriel spotted a box that had already been packed. About the size of a coffee maker, the brown wrapped and stringed box had an address on it. As well as the illegible writing that Gabriel had come to recognize was German for overnight air mail.

Gabriel picked up the package and tried to spin it around on his finger like it was a basketball and himself a Harlem Globetrotter. (Must be some thing important. Gerde is so thrifty after running the castle on nothing so long that she wouldn't send anything at the expense of overnight unless...) "Gerde," Gabriel dipped his voice slightly, in the way he always did when he wanted something from a woman. Or from Grace when she was about to do something which he thought was patently idiotic. "What is going on with Gracie?"

"She said not to tell you, Herr Knight."

"Gerde." The package was tilting dangerously.

"Gabriel she needs space after everything. She needs to be away from you for a while. You are rather... suffocating for a woman like her."

"Suffocating! ME!"

"Herr Knight, you try to tie her to you. Then you walk away and flaunt you freedom. I believe the American expression is ‘it is time to fish or cut bait'. And she has cut it for you."

"Really. I'll have you know that not a single woman has been able to keep from circuming to the charm of Gabriel Knight." With that, Gabriel left. Package still in his hands.

Less then a minute later, Gerde could hear Gabriel talking on the phone. "Oh, and I will need two tickets for the way back. No I don't know when yet, I am playing it by ear. No I can't make that one, the next is at..."

Gerde shrugged. "C the World will be getting some more money from the writer of Dirk Backlash." Gerde began to smile.

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev | next »