Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

Silencing the Screamer

Part 7

by Christina Kazmierczak, published on December 9, 2000

"Why are we doing this again?" Grace said. "And if this is so important than why aren't you speeding?"

"Mykle and I both have a connection to this thing. I am just hoping he is late..."

Making a left Alexi parked the car and stared down the roadside. Large yellow tapes blocked off an area in front of an apartment complex. "Please God don't..." was all she could say before the tears began. It was if Alexi was trying to scream but a hand was on her larynx allowing only enough air out to make a whisper.

Gregor turned to Grace. "I'll take a look. You look after her."

Grace put a hand on Alexi's shoulder. It wasn't something Grace would normally do, but it felt right. "Come on, it probably isn't him. Let insectotron check it out... So tell me how do you know Chadrel. And why you think I may be pregnant."

"Parents", Alexi squeaked between gasps of air. "Spent time... All over Asia... Know him somehow... See slightly more into infrared ... two distinct heat signatures. Going to get out of the car, need nicotine."

"It's a surprise you aren't dead yet."

Grace felt uneasy being in the car by herself. She could hear Alexi's tortured breathe on the other side of the door. The sounds of a police investigation. And crickets, increasing their songs as dusk began to fall.

The back car door slammed. And with the slam, Gregor reappeared. "Grace, take the driver's seat."

Grace slid herself over. It was going to be a long night.


Gregor carried Alexi out of the car and up the stairs. "She's a real mess."

"You'll be two unless you put her down nice and slowly." A stocky, 5'10 I', middle age man with a main of white hair was pointing a semiautomatic at Gregor's head.

"Give us all a break all a break Mac." Alexi said in a small voice. " You never could protect me. Just like Lady I, you should have realized I was a lost cause."

Mac sighed putting away his gun. "Look, I'll always feel guilty let me. Now who are these people and what have you found?"


Mac began with the police reports. "All victims male. All died from haemorrhaging from a major artery. However, large doses of arsenic were found in the blood stream... The profiler is suspecting that the murder drugged the victims to the point of extreme pain, striking when that pain disabled the victim. Disabling them from fighting back. " Mac leafed through some notebooks. "Then something with an edge as fine as a scalpel was used to make a pattern of cuts in the major arteries and chest, through which organs were taken out. The freak probably showed the victims their insides while they were laying there."

"Guess?" Gregor raised an eyebrow.

"Nope. Seems like some of these people tried to put themselves back together before they started writing. Funny that. Anyway. The perp strikes with surgical precision. The freak knows how to keep someone alive while they are in critical and enjoys it. The end result – other then having one sick N&*& – highly intelligent, probably male, mid twenties to late thirties, powerful hands with good coordination, suppressed sexual deviance and an overwhelming drive to punish or feel power over someone. He may have had previous contact with the victims, picking them because both their illegal activities and their sex will keep them from going to the cops for previous abuses."

Grace leaned forward. "How about the pattern of cut or how they were made?"

"Pattern appears to consist of vertical slits five inches long following the exact center of the artery followed by a circular cut above the organs to be removed. Cuts are done with a minimum amount of tearing and no struggle. Coroner suggested a one and a half inch long blade." Mac turned a page in his note book. Holding the page out like it had been set on an easel he began. "Here is a rough drawing of the location in proximity of the entire city. Each victim was found in an area know for being ‘less desirable.' Six were found in areas known for teen prostitution."

"Wait a minute! SIX! This has been going on how long!" Alexi squirmed from her resting place on the couch.

Mac bit his lip. "Along with Mykle, we found four more decaying corpses while checking out possible squats. (Shrugging) after talking to some of the kids at the outreach, we looked into some of the old places the kids no longer frequent. We will be getting a few more shelters open... try to take some of them in but..."

Gregor interrupted. "From what I can tell, there were two distinct ‘freaks' at the sites. The victims were left to bleed to death by one. The other came later, at the time of death.

Mac raised an eyebrow.

"Resident psychic." Grace suggested. Alexi nodded.

"Anyway, I need to get back – here is the list of sites, including the ones I found today. I need something a little more concrete from you by tomorrow night." With that Mac left without being escorted to the door.

"Is he always that ... brief?"

"You should have seen him when we were dating."

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev | next »