Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

Southend

1.

by MistThing, published on December 20, 2000

Two weeks. First those trivial words crept into Gabriel's last moments of sleep. Then they found that specific place in his brain that was hers, and took on a meaning. Gabriel rolled on his back inside the sweaty sheets and opened his eyes. The words floated, making their way into his consciousness, finally surfacing. It's been two weeks. Two weeks since he last saw Grace. Two weeks since he left that damned Rennes-le-Château and crawled back to New Orleans.

Gabriel shoved the thin covers away and sat on the messed-up bed, bare feet on the floor, his throbbing head cupped in both hands. Yeah, this hangover he woke up into every damn morning, better yet, make it noon, wasn't helping. St George's was closed down anyway till further notice. F*ck it, he couldn't handle any more 'goodies' then he had to for the time being.

Then the phone did an unexpected thing. It rang. Against his will, Gabriel jumped from the bed and grabbed the receiver, fleetingly seized by an irrational hope - it could be her - - -

-"Gabriel Knight", he said.

There was silence, and then - "Mr. Knight?"- Said a solemn young man's voice, in a prominent Scottish accent.

-"Yeah, Knight here," he repeated, suddenly worried. He didn't like this call.

-"I'm afraid I have some unfortunate news, Mr. Knight," said the grave young voice.

-"It's Gabriel. And I'm all ears, Mr. - didn't quite catch your name there."

-"Sorry, Sir. Detective Ryan Saunders, Metropolitan Police."

-"Excuse me, Detective?"

- "Scotland Yard, Sir. Are you acquainted with a - Miss Grace Nakimura?"

-"Sure, I know her" - Gabriel's throat went dry- "She's a friend. What's goin' on, Detective?"

-"Miss Nakimura was involved in a serious accident earlier tonight..."

-"How serious?"- demanded Gabriel-"What kind of accident? Where?"

-"I can't give you any more details at the moment, Mr. Knight. I would appreciate it if you could answer some questions for me."

-"Come on, you owe me that much, Detective!"-Gabriel's fist tightened around the receiver, his mind racing -"First thing, you're botherin' yourself with a long-distance call to inform me and not her family. Second, why is a detective involved in a car accident investigation? I'd be glad to help, but cut me some slack here! Tell me how's Grace!"

The person on the other side of the line went silent again. Gabriel held his breath. Then the voice that introduced itself as Detective Saunders said, "I didn't mention a car accident, Mr. Knight. I'm sorry to inform you that Miss Nakimura was killed earlier in a fatal plane crash over the Western Highlands, Scotland, at about eleven PM, Glasgow time. Her family had been notified. Your help is very valuable to us. Would you consider answering some of my questions?"- The speaker tried unsuccessfully to soften his tone-"...Gabriel?"

-"I will answer your questions"- replied Gabriel - " but you'll answer some of mine. It won't be on the phone, though. I'll see you in a few hours, Detective Ryan Saunders." He hung up, not waiting for a reply.

Gabriel gazed at the phone, not really seeing it, for he was looking inside, probing his soul for a feeling, a sign, an indication that Grace wasn't alive. Grace, are you there, Gracie, out there, needin' my help? He strained to listen, but no revelation came. I know you are alive, Gracie, you must be. Gabriel picked up the phone again, decisively. "Ye ah... I need to book a flight...New Orleans to Glasgow...Nah, I don't give a damn which f*cked airlines company, just make it today...Look, honey...Huh?...Sorry, Lisa - right? I apologize for speaking to you that way, but I just got one hell of bad news...Yeah, appreciate it... 11:28 this morning is fine, I can make it. Yeah, credit card - here goes, Lisa -"

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

next »