Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

Southend

21.

by MistThing, published on January 26, 2001

A dry path formed in the middle between the huge whirling walls of water, revealing an enormous triangular stone triad, which was the source of the energy beacon. The air became dead silent again ... The cult members froze with awed expectation, oozing thick tension. A delicate, smoky mist swirled from the stones and the white light, and gradually condensed and assumed the form of an enormous bird mounting high above them with its sharp beak touching the clouds. The raven cried and its features blurred, rearranging itself into the form of a beautiful young woman with black hair down to her ankles. She opened eyes of red flame and observed the group like watching ants at her feet. The Goddess shook her hair and split into three horrible replicas, which merged into one again. She spoke with no voice and no language, and yet her voice thundered and all grasped her words.

- "Who has awakened me from my sleep?" SHE said.

- "I brought you back, oh great Mor Rioghan!" cried the Priestess. "I am the your Red Essence. I am War. I am your High Priestess. I am the Guardian of your ancient words. You spoke to your followers through the Stones. I gave you back your unified essence and opened your Gateway!"

The empty eyes of flame observed Morgan. "I know who you are, High Priestess. Your offering is not welcome."

Morgan was astounded. "I followed your Prediction!" - she replied - "You called us early, Goddess, before the moon is swallowed!"

- "Two of the essences you gave me are not pure, Priestess" - said the Goddess. "Grace is tainted by Shadow. Shadow is tainted by Grace. The Gateway will close. The flame will be passed and made stronger."

HER image swirled into thick mist that quickly dispersed. Giant waves splashed and converged above the stone triangle, concealing it beneath them. The sea was whole again. The energy beam was extinguished. The fog wall thinned rapidly.

- "NOOOO!" Morgan dropped to her knees.

Grace panted.

Gabriel said, "So let me get this straight, Morgan. A five thousand years prophecy just went sour because I slept with Grace two and a half weeks ago?"

- "Shut up, Gabriel" - Mumbled Grace.

Morgan jumped to her feet. "You shall die for this!" She screamed.

- "Hey, It was just a f-"

- "GABRIEL !" - Grace was enraged - "Don't you dare complete that word!"

As the fog shield vanished, young warriors swarmed down from the surrounding hills. They weren't wearing chain mails and tunics, yet they were the Galloglaich. Modern rifles replaced the claymores and the battle-axes. They were sons of the MacDonald and MacAlister Clans and their many septs, sent by the Council at last to defend. The cult members ran around in an amok, confusion and despair taking the place of their former ecstasy. Gabriel and Grace were left unguarded at last.

Before Gabriel could do anything, Morgan swung her dagger wide, aiming at Grace's chest. The Talisman stopped the dagger from penetrating, and Gabriel lunged towards Grace. They both fell down, Gabriel shielding Grace from Morgan's assault with his body. Morgan attacked again, this time swinging her blade over Gabriel's back. Gabriel covered Grace's body with his own, and waited for the inevitable sharp pain of the stab -

A single shot was heard.

Gabriel didn't feel the dagger coming down - - -

He looked up and behind him. Morgan looked with surprise at the bloodstain spreading rapidly on her chest. She was still holding the dagger high up above Gabriel's back. Then she stumbled backwards, and fell down into the chasm . . . Saunders was still standing rigidly, his gun pointed to the place where Morgan once stood.

- "You can get off of me now, Gabriel ..." - Grace whispered. Her face was very pale.

Gabriel gathered himself and got up slowly. "You can lower that gun now, Saunders" - he said - "You definitely killed her. And saved my ass."

Saunders put his gun back in its holster. "You're losin' precious blood, Knight" - he remarked - "And so is the lady over there. Lets get you both taken care of."

A morning sun rose silently at the east.

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev | next »