Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

Voices

Chapter 3

by Judie Lynne, published on January 2, 2002

The Schattenjäger Library:

While Gerde searched Wolfgang's personal case files, and other histories, Gabriel scanned the huge bookcases not even knowing what to look for. Up on a top shelf, there were a series of books pertaining to spiritual visions, angels-good and bad, and finally at the far end of the shelf, archangels. There were 6 books in all. Instinctively, Gabriel took each one by one and tossed them on his desk.

Sitting at the desk, Gabriel looked at the array of books with their imposing titles, and covered his face with his hands. Damn, this was overwhelming! This research business was what Grace did so well. Odd, he hadn't thought of her for such a long time. Why was that? How could he have swept her out of his mind and kept her out of his thoughts. He wouldn't have thought it possible.

The fact of the matter was that he didn't want to dwell on the past. He wanted to atone for the grievous mistakes he had made. Returning to Rittersberg from Rennes-le-Château and devoting his life as Schattenjäger was a conscious decision made out of both enlightenment and pain.

Gabriel picked up one of the books about seeing and communicating with angels. He stood, one hand on his hip, while leafing slowly through the book with the other hand. He hadn't thought he would actually find something that would stir some interest. He just felt overwhelmed and out of his niche where research was involved. He stopped turning pages suddenly, when a picture appeared.what was it? A flash of lights, in multi mauve, pink, and white, surrounding a figure of sorts. The figure seemed angelic, yet... Rummaging through his desk drawer, he came upon a small hand held magnifying glass..and after a reflective pause, he placed the glass above the drawing and for a few seconds, stopped breathing.

"My God!" "Gerde, take a look at this, quick!" Gerde looked up from the volumes of paperwork she had been diligently sorting and reading. . . ". . what is it, Gabriel? ". Getting up, she quickly crossed the room, and peered at the page where Gabriel held the glass. Looking at the picture intently, then up at Gabriel's face, then back down to the picture, she didn't know what she was supposed to be seeing..to her it was an ordinary drawing of an archangel within a lovely rainbow of light. "It's what I saw. It's as though someone drew it from memory." Putting down the magnifying glass, Gabriel pulled the book toward the end of the table, sat and read. The picture had beneath it ". . . and trumpets belayed the news" Across from the picture was the title "Archangels and visitations".

His mind drifted again, back to Grace. Why would she come to mind now, after all this time. Why thresh up that pain again. Yet, he could see her face, as clearly as though she sat there, with that impish grin of hers, that look she had when she knew she had gotten the best of him, yet once more.

He thought back to the last time he had spoken to her. He was in Solomon's Temple, facing Asmodeus, and as always, she provided the lifeline with her accurate information through the microphone that he wore. The Temple- a most startling, enlightening, and beautiful experience that forever altered the course of his life. He couldn't wait to return to her where she waited at the Hotel in Rennes-le-Château. He was overcome with emotion and eager to tell her all that he had just witnessed. There was no one else in the world he wanted to be with but Grace at that moment.

Finding an empty hotel room, and a short cryptic note, he raced to the train station with hopes she hadn't left yet. He was too late, however, and drowned his sorrows at the bar in Rennes-les-Bains This time, his reactions were different. He ignored the flirtatious girls sitting at the bar, and instead, stared straight ahead and downed his drinks. He didn't even remember returning to the Hotel.

Grace had left the computer behind. Good old Sidney. He thought that she could have left it behind so that she could email him. He hung around the hotel for two weeks, but there was no communication from her... He used Sidney to email Grace's mother, and Professor Barkely at Yale University, who she communicated with often. He called his Gran to see if Grace had contacted her. Grace was gone. He blamed no one but himself.

All of that was 5 years ago, and he still had not heard from her. He had read about her, as she had written three books that were very successful. He knew now that she was living in California. He stopped his daydreaming abruptly, grabbed the book on angels, good and bad, and began to read.

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev