Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

A Cold Mountain

Chapter 3

by Daniel Pears, published on August 24, 2000

July, 1947, a Bedouin camp on the shores of the Dead Sea

The first thing the boy Ali remembered was the women's tent at the Bedouin camp. For all the rest of his life he had a special warm feeling for the women's tent; for all those peculiar sounds and smells that seemed somehow to combine into a bustling seriousness that had to do with love, comfort and above all home. No matter how high Ali rose in life, he never forgot that all his memories began in that tent in the company of his mother and the other women.

His father, Mahmoud, had ten sons and three daughters. Ali was the youngest. Mahmoud loved Ali more than all his children, because Allah had given Ali to him when he was an old man. Yet it was not only for this he loved him the most, but also because Ali was more obedient and kind than his other children.

On the second week of summer, Ali's brothers went to feed their father's flock along the cliffs on the northwest side of the dead sea, which was a good way from their camp.

-"Ali, my son," Mahmoud said. "Come, and I will send you to give some food to your brothers. They must be hungry and thirsty. Go and see whether it is well with your brothers and well with the flocks, and bring me word again."

Ali was willing to go. When his brothers saw him coming, even while he was yet a good way off, they greeted him warmly. "Salaam aleikum, Ali!" Mustafa, the oldest brother yelled. "What bring you here?"

-"Aleikum es-salaam!" Ali replied. "Father sends you some supplies."

His brothers were most happy. They sat down and enjoyed their meal. "Ali," said Mustafa, "since you brought us all this food, we allow you to take care of one goat. You may choose the one you want."

This was a great honour indeed since Ali was still a young boy, and boys weren't allowed to graze the flocks alone. Ali picked out one of the goats and let it out into the wilderness, to find pasture, till he came to a small hill overlooking the Dead Sea. Suddenly, he felt a tremendous tiredness and decided to lay down for a while. He tied the goat to one of the trees and fell asleep.

When Ali woke up, he was astonished to discover that the goat had disappeared. He climbed up among the cliffs in search for the animal. Then, he came by a dark cave. Thinking that perhaps the goat had wandered inside, Ali threw a stone into the opening in an attempt to spook the goat, if it had been in there, back out. The sound that he heard from inside the cave was unexpected- the stone hit a pottery.

-"Wallah!" Ali exclaimed and entered the cave. What he discovered inside has revolutionised the study of the Bible. There, in that cave, stuffed in jars, were scores of papyrus scrolls covering almost every book of the Old Testament. The boy ran out of the cave, forgetting all about the poor goat.

December 7, 1947, The Palace Hotel, Jerusalem, Palestine

A driver helped Dr. Edward Coyle down with his boxes and bags at the entrance of the four-story building of the famous Palace Hotel in Jerusalem. He touched his hat as Coyle dropped some silver into his hand and then slowly turned and drove back the way he had come. At thirty-one, Dr. Edward Coyle had already become a 'type'. He wore a tweed jacket, quite inappropriate for the fine weather, and dark green trousers. When he could afford tobacco, he smoked a stubby pipe. His dark hair was a mess and he wore an old pair of glasses clumsily repaired. It was easy to miss the fact that, underneath it all, he was a good-looking archaeologist, graduated from Oxford four years before.

As he made to carry his bags up the drive in the direction of the large double-front entrance doors they were thrown open and an elderly man wearing an apron emerged and walked swiftly of jerkily in his direction. "Welcome to the Palace Hotel, sir!" He greeted the young man "Please, follow me. And don't you worry for your boxes. Someone will pick them up and deliver them directly to your room." As they walked along the driver towards the entrance, the elderly man explained. "The Palace Hotel was built in 1928 on the initiative of the Supreme Muslim Council, during the term of Raghib Nashashibi as the British appointed mayor of Jerusalem. The building was completed in the record time of eleven months." He paused. "The building is meant to be a showpiece of Arab architecture in Jerusalem, both in appearance and in the comfort. The facade is adorned with engraved verses from the Koran."

-"How lovely," Coyle smiled politely. He was not interested at all by the hotel's historical background, but did not wish to hurt the old man's feelings.

Both men entered through the double-front doors and Coyle was amazed by the beauty of the entrance lobby, topped by an octagonal skylight, which reached to the entire height of the building. Decorative columns with Doric, Ionic and Corinthian capitals graced the entrance and the lighting fixtures throughout the building were done in the art deco style.

Coyle handed some coins to the elderly man who thanked him and went outside, probably to struggle with the luggage.

Then, a middle-aged gentleman stepped towards the archaeologist. "You must be Dr. Coyle. How delightful to see you. My name is George Barsky and I am the owner of this establishment."

Both men shook hands. "Your hotel, sir, is simply charming." Coyle remarked. "The decoration of the entrance lobby is outstanding!"

-"While, thank you, my dear Doctor. We are indeed quite proud of our humble hotel." George Barsky was tall and well-built and had a luxuriant head of grey hair. "The other distinguish gentlemen asked that you would join them in the smoking room in about half an hour." He stepped towards an oak counter and retrieved a key from a wooden board. "You are very lucky, Dr. Coyle. You stay at room 24. It is on the second floor and has got a magnificent view of the holy city. If I can be of any service to you throughout your visit, please let me know. Enjoy your stay."

-"Thank you very much," Coyle smiled.

-"This young man, here, will show you to your room."

The bell-boy led the new arrival quickly through the corridors until they came to the door marked 24. The archaeologist was most favourably impressed by his quarters. The room was splendid with leaded windows looking out onto picturesque streets and gardens. There was also one bedroom and a bath. Furthermore, there were flowers and a bottle of champagne on the table.

-"I did not order champagne," Coyle said giving the bell-boy an odd glance.

-"Of course not, sir. It's a complimentary bottle from the Palace Hotel."

-"How nice. What about my luggage?"

-"It will be up soon, sir. If you need any assistance in the future, just press the button and I'll be along to help."

-"Thank you", Coyle smiled. "Any suggestions on what I should first see?"

-"Jerusalem is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. It is impossible to encompass the whole city in a short visit. Each building, each stone reflects a history of its own. I suggest you to visit the Church of the Redeemer and the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. The Mount of Olives, the Kidron Valley and the Dome of the Rock are highly recommended as well. However, do not forget that the city is not quite safe now that Arabs and Jews are on the verge of going into a war against each other."

-"You have been much helpful, thank you very much." Coyle handed him some money and the bell-boy bowed and left.

The archaeologist walked to a large window and pulled back the dark red velvet curtains, allowing sunlight to flood the bedroom. "Much better." Once his boxes arrived, he unpacked and washed. Then, Coyle walked down to the entrance lobby and headed to the smoking room. He looked around; the room was crowded with men and women, still in evening attire, sipping drinks and engaged in casual conversations. Some were wearing British uniforms as they sat around tables, intently looking at the playing cards that were fanned out in their hands.

An elderly man stood beside one of the tables for a few moments, watching the players. He then stepped towards the archaeologist and tapped him on the shoulder. "Good evening, Edward. Nice to see you again."

-"Professor Stanley." Both men shook hands. "I am so happy to see you. It has been such a long time."

-"Too long, I'm afraid," the Professor tapped on his counterpart's shoulder once again and motioned to two cosy chairs and a small table. "Shall we have a seat?" Coyle nodded approvingly and both men walked to the table and sat down. The Professor waved to a waiter who immediately approached the table. "Would you like to have something to drink, Edward?"

-"Why, yes. Thank you very much. I'll have a glass of red wine, please."

-"My friend, here, will have some red wine and I would like a brandy please".

-"Very well sir", the waiter smiled and was about to leave when the Professor grabbed his arm.

-"Oh, I've almost forgot. Please bring me some good Cuban cigars."

-"Certainly, sir."

When the waiter left, the Professor turned to his young companion. "The service is excellent here. This is certainly one of the finest hotels in Jerusalem."

-"I couldn't disagree with you", Coyle replied politely.

-"You graduated four years ago, if I'm not mistaken?" The archaeologist nodded and he continued. "You were one of my best students, Edward. I have told you that already, haven't I?"

-"Yes, Professor."

-"Call me Jack. We know each other for quite some time, for God's sake!" He had a studious face, but it wasn't without humour. He removed his glasses, wiped them vigorously with a handkerchief, and smiled. "I suppose you would like to know the reason for you presence in Jerusalem."

-"Indeed. I received your urgent telegram about three weeks ago and took the first boat to Palestine. You said that you were dealing with something highly important."

-"I believe the expression was 'significant', my boy. And significant it is."

At that moment the waiter returned, carrying a silver tray with two glasses and a small case of Cuban cigars. "Here you are, gentlemen," he announced with courtesy. "Enjoy your drinks". The Professor gave him the tip before Coyle could even reach his wallet. "That is most generous of you, sir," the waiter slightly bowed. "If you need anything at all, just call me." He bowed once again and left.

The Professor raised up his brandy. "Cheers, my dear friend." Then, he emptied the drink quickly and put the glass on the table.

-"Cheers", the archaeologist replied, smiling and sipped the red wine.

Two new arrivals, a man and a woman, entered the smoking room. The man was in his early forties, moustached with a long sloped head like a coffin and small round eyes like bullet-holes shot through it. The woman, about twenty-eight years old, was blond-haired and blue-eyed. The man seemed to look for someone in the crowded room. When his gaze rested on the Professor, he nodded, whispered something to his companion and then they both stepped towards them. The Professor stood and greeted the new arrivals. "Colonel Bedford, Miss Darlings, this is one of my finest students, Dr. Edward Coyle. Edward, may I introduce you to Colonel Laurance Bedford, governor of Jerusalem and Dr. Emma Darlings." Greetings were exchanged. "Please, have a seat," the Professor motioned to two empty chairs."

-"Thank you, Jack." The Colonel replied with courtesy.

-"Colonel, Doctor, would you care for a drink?"

Both of them declined his offer. "On the other hand, my good Professor," Bedford said. "I would mostly enjoy one of your fine Cuban cigars."

-"By all means."

The Professor opened the case and the Colonel pulled a cigar and lit it. A blue cloud of smoke encircled his head as he puffed away. He took a deep breath and savoured the aroma. "Dr. Coyle," Bedford finally said. "What can you tell us about Dr. Alexander Peters?"

The archaeologist allowed himself a chastened pause, then a frown midway between amusement and vexation. "You mean Alex. What's he been up to now? And when he received no answer but the stare: "Nothing bad, is it, I trust?"

-"We are given to understand you are an acquaintance of the Doctor, not to say a close friend. Or isn't that correct?"

It's a little too correct, Coyle thought. "Close?" He repeated, as if the notion of proximity were new to him. "I don't think I'd go that far."

-"We heard that you and Peters were bosom pals," he objected. "You were schoolmates."

-"There were three years between us. For schoolboys that's lifetime."

-"Nonetheless, in public school circles, as we hear, such things make a bond. Plus, the good Professor, here, told us that you were students together at Oxford," he added accusingly.

-"What has happened to Alex?" Coyle asked.

His question drew an insolent silence from all of them. They seemed to be deliberating whether he rated an answer. "Yes, well, your friend has gone a bit missing, to tell you the truth, Dr. Coyle, sir. He is missing from his lodging and his place of work. And so far as we can say he has not written anybody a goodbye billy-doo. Unless he wrote you one, of course."

-"Of course not. Don't be ridiculous."

-"Oh? He puffed away. Now why am I being ridiculous, Dr. Coyle?"

-"I would have told you at once. I would have said. Why should I waste your time or mine? He paused. "Anyway, governor, sir, I thought that Alex was currently in Egypt, wasn't he?"

Again Colonel Bedford didn't answer him. He was clever in that way. Coyle was beginning to suspect he was clever in other ways as well. Finally he turned to his female companion. "We are making some progress, aren't we, Emma?"

-"Was he the one who told you that he would be staying in Egypt?" Emma asked. Coyle realised that she hadn't asked any question until then.

-"Well, I saw him in London about three months ago. He asked me to join him for a drink. There is a decent pub near the British Museum- that's where I work."

-"We know that, Doctor," Bedford interrupted him. "Why did he want to see you?"

-"As you pointed out, we used to be very good friends. Since we graduated we haven't seen each other as often as in the past. However, from time to time, one of us calls the other one. So you might say we stay in touch."

-"And what did he tell you the last time you saw him, Doctor?"

As Coyle remained silent, the Professor urged him. "Come on, Edward! You can trust them, I can assure you."

-"To be honest with you, he didn't say much. We talked a bit about our childhood, the friends we had and the girls we made." He laughed. "Finally, he told me that he was about to go to Egypt. Apparently he was hired by the archaeological department at Oxford University to take part in the excavation of a new tomb in the Valley of the Kings. You must have heard of it, Professor."

The Professor lit his first cigar and took a deep breath. As he puffed away, his eyes met Bedford's. "You can tell him the truth, Colonel, sir."

-"Would you be surprised, Doctor, If I told you that your friend has never put his feet on the Egyptian's soil. In fact, he was asked to take part in an archaeological expedition, here in Palestine. An expedition headed by the good professor and his assistant, the lovely Dr. Emma Darlings."

-"I'm afraid I do not understand."

-"Emma. Please be a dear and enlighten Dr. Coyle."

-"Of course, Colonel, sir." The young woman smiled. "Have you ever heard about the Dead Sea Scrolls, Dr. Coyle?"

-"The Dead Sea Scrolls?" The archaeologist seemed puzzled. "No, never."

-"It does not surprise me. Very few people know about their discovery." She paused for a while as if she wanted to study the reaction of her counterpart. "It is a fascinating story. In July, a Bedouin shepherd boy was out with his flock along the cliffs on the northwest side of the Dead Sea. As he was searching for a lost goat, he threw a rock into a cave. He heard something break. He investigated and found ancient scrolls stored in large pottery jars."

-"It reminds me of the story of King Saul," Coyle smiled.

-"I beg your pardon?"

-"It is said in the first book of Kings, chapter 9, that the asses of Kish, Saul's father were lost. Kish asked his son to go seek the asses. Well, Saul had never found those asses. Instead, he met Samuel who took a vial of oil, poured it upon his head and made him King of Israel." His three companions looked at him, their eyes wide-opened. "It's all in the bible," he protested.

-"Anyway," Emma continued. "The lad had accidentally stumbled across the greatest manuscript discovery of modern times. Many of the scrolls date back to before the time of Jesus and they include copies of sections of every Old Testament book except Esther. There is an almost complete copy of the book of Isaiah."

-"You see, Edward," the Professor intervened," until the discovery of the scrolls, the oldest available copies of the Hebrew scriptures dated from 900 A.D. These Dead Sea Scrolls provide Hebrew and Aramaic text that is one thousand years earlier and would show if the text had been corrupted and changed over ten centuries. So it is a priceless opportunity to see if the copies done so much later in any way resembled much earlier copies, that were themselves, of course, that much more closer to the originals. Furthermore, the scrolls at Qumran are by far the most important as far as Christians are concerned because they pre-date or are contemporary with Jesus."

-"At Qumran? Where is it?"

-"As we said, the scrolls were discovered in a group of caves near Khirbat Qumran in Jordan, at the northwestern end of the Dead Sea."

-"But why is it kept a secret? Coyle asked. "Don't you want to share this amazing discovery with the rest of the world?"

-"Haven't you been following the recent events in the middle-east, Doctor?" Colonel Bedford asked. "Earlier this year, our country decided to leave Palestine and called on the United Nations to make recommendations. In response, the UN convened its first special session and last week, on November 29, it adopted a plan calling for the partition of Palestine into Jewish and Arab states, with Jerusalem as an international zone under UN jurisdiction; the Jewish and Arab states would be joined in an economic union. Can you believe that? They hate each other. It will never work. The partition resolution was endorsed by a vote of 33 to 13, supported by the United States and the Soviet Union. The Bolsheviks hope that the Jewish State would become communist. I've always said we should have shot all those Zionists!"

-"With all due respect, Colonel, sir, what is your point?"

-"My point?" Bedford puffed away. "Oh, yes of course." He paused for a while, enjoying his momentum. "The British government dislike the Zionists. The Jewish community, or Yishuv, increased tenfold during this era, especially during the 1930s, when large numbers of Jews fled Europe to escape persecution by the Nazis. Tel-Aviv became the country's largest all-Jewish city, dozens of other towns and villages were founded, and hundreds of Jewish agricultural collectives (kibbutzim) and cooperatives were established. The educational system, cultivating Hebrew language and culture, expanded, and the Hebrew University in Jerusalem was founded. We, that is to say all British officials, working under the high commissioner for Palestine appointed by our government, are responsible for defence and security, immigration, postal service, transportation, and port facilities. So far, we are still the highest authorities, ultimately responsible for governing the country. We attempt to maintain a delicate balance between the interests and demands of the Yishuv and those of the country's predominantly Arab population. But As Jewish immigration to Palestine increases and Jewish settlement spreads, Arab opposition to our rule and to Zionism grows. As you know, we faced several nationalist uprisings culminated in a general Arab revolt between 1936 and 1939 that was finally suppressed by our troops on the eve of World War II." He puffed away. "More than 5 million Jews were killed by German Nazis during World War II. The more, the merrier!" Bedford began to laugh but when he noticed that no one was enjoying his little joke, he continued. "When Zionist leaders realised the extent of the genocide being committed, their demands for self-government greatly intensified, as did their efforts to facilitate immigration and settlement in Palestine. The Yishuv is constantly galvanising in opposition to our mandatory authorities to support illegal immigration of refugees from war-torn Europe. Since the end of the war, most of the Yishuv is in revolt against us. Last year, the Jewish Irgun committed one of its deadliest attack."

-"Are you referring to the last year bombing of the King David Hotel?" Coyle asked.

-"Precisely, Doctor. The King David Hotel was the site of our military command and the Criminal Investigation Division. Last year, on July 29, our troops invaded the Jewish Agency and confiscated large quantities of documents. A week later, the treacherous Jews placed a bomb in the hotel. As a result, when the bomb exploded, the casualty toll was high: a total of 91 killed and 45 injured."

-"You forgot to mention, Colonel, sir," Emma said, "that the news of a massacre of 40 Jews in a pogrom in Poland that took place in July reminded the Jews of how Britain's restrictive immigration policy had condemned thousands to death. That's why they put the bomb in the hotel."

-"Furthermore," Coyle intervened. "If I am not mistaken, the Irgun called the British authorities in Jerusalem and warned them that a bomb was placed in the hotel and asked them to evacuate the building. The British official said in response: 'We don't take orders from the Jews."

-"Mistakes were made, I must agree with you," Bedford explained. "This is precisely why my predecessor was called back home and I was appointed governor of Jerusalem. I'll probably be the last one." He turned to Coyle. "You see, Doctor, our departure is only a matter of time now that the partition was adopted. Some officials say that we intend on leaving the country no later than May 15, 1948. Arab protests against the partition have already erupted in violence and we generally refuse to intervene."

-"I fail to see how all of this is linked to keeping secret the recent discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls."

-"When the scrolls were discovered I was contacted by our Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs, Mr. Ernest Bevin himself. As you know, Mr. Bevin is strictly opposed to the Zionists and to the creation of the Jewish State. After all, it was he who instructed our troops to intervene as least as possible during the Arab violent protests against the Jews. His motto is : 'The Arabs are doing our own job'". He laughed again. "Mr. Bevin told me that from that day on we should confiscate as much historical artifacts and parchments as possible. He doesn't want the Jews to have the monopoly over all those discoveries, especially the one at Qumran. He says that the Jews are capable of falsifying documents or add some 'minor' details to genuine ones in order to get the world's sympathy."

-"This is outrageous!" Coyle exclaimed.

-"Whether we agree with him or not, an order is an order, Doctor. Consequently, I was asked to ship some of the most important documents and artifacts to our High Commissioner for Palestine and Egypt in Cairo. So far, I have sent some very valuable objects and was about to ship the Dead Sea Scrolls as well when your friend, Dr. Peters disappeared."

-"Colonel, sir," Coyle said. "What are you trying to say."

-"Perhaps I don't make myself clear enough, Doctor. Your friend was in charge of the translation of some of the Dead Sea Scrolls. Suddenly, and without further notice, he disappeared a week ago with a great deal of documents."

-"I can hardly believe that!" Coyle protested.

-"I can assure you it's the whole truth," Emma intervened. "I worked with him and trusted him immensely. He did a very good job. We didn't expect him to do such a thing."

-"What would he do that?"

-"That's precisely what we hoped that you would tell us, Doctor," Bedford said.

-"And why is that?"

-"Because he was a good friend of yours, perhaps even your best friend."

-"Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but he hasn't got in touch with me since that last time I saw him in London."

-"Has he ever mentioned Palestine in your long occasional discussions?

-"Why would he?"

-"You tell me, Doctor." The Colonel insisted. "Does he have many Jewish friends?"

-"I don't like the tone of this conversation. I won't be the accomplice of your paranoia towards the Jews or the Arabs!"

-"Calm down, Doctor. It was merely a professional question. After all, Dr. Peters could have Jewish friends who might be interested in purchasing documents such as the Dead Sea Scrolls. The Hebrew University in Jerusalem and many Jewish religious officials do such things quite often."

-"As far as I can see, the Oxford University and some very distinguish British officials embrace such obscure techniques as well. After all, isn't that the reason why we are all here, sipping our drinks and smoking Cuban cigars."

Bedford froze for a moment, his eyes fixed on the floor. When he looked again at Coyle, a cold, commanding gaze was in his eyes. "You are not very cooperative, my friend. That's very unfortunate."

-"Is it that the only reason you asked me to come to Palestine for?"

The Colonel put the rest of his cigar in an ashtray and rubbed his hands straight up and down between his knees, like a man separating wheat. "Of course not, Doctor," he said, his smile set to invade. "We want you to join the Professor's team at Qumran."

-"Why me?"

-"Isn't it obvious, Doctor? You speak fluently ancient and modern Hebrew and Arabic. You can read both Latin and Aramaic. You took part in several archaeological expeditions in various countries, such as Greece and Egypt. You are a man of action, Dr. Coyle. Will you join our team?"

The archaeologist didn't answer. Not yet. Determined to deny the Colonel the interrogator's rhythm. The eyes of his companions were fixing him, eager to have his approval. "I am sorry to disappoint you, but I have to decline your offer."

-"May I ask why?"

-"Simply because I don't agree with your methods, governor, sir. I don't share your opinions and, pardon me, I don't like you."

-"A man of principles," the Colonel laughed. "I like that!" You have been honest with me, let me be honest with you as well. We are concerned about the safety of your friend. In fact, we believe that he might be in great danger." He paused. "We remain confident that it is a matter of life or death."

Coyle did not know how to react to that extraordinary statement. "I can assure you, Colonel, sir, that Alex is quite capable of taking care of himself. His mind is as sharp as ever."

-"By disappearing with those documents, your friend opened a Pandora box, Doctor. As I told you before, the Dead Sea Scrolls are extremely valuable. So far, we haven't been able to translate all the parchments we had discovered. Their contents might be explosive and some people could be ready to die in order to prevent them from going out public. To die or to kill."

-"Edward," the Professor intervened. "Emma and I need you. You must help us!"

-"I remain as confident as ever in Alex's abilities," Coyle said quietly. "But I will do as you say and join your team. However, you should never forget that I'm doing it only because I want to help Alex. Once he's found, I'm out of all this nonsense. Do I make myself clear?"

-"Crystal!" The Colonel smiled and stood up. "Very well, I believe that our little meeting is over. You should have some rest, Doctor, you seem quite exhausted. Tomorrow morning, Emma and the good Professor will pick you up and take you to Qumran. If everything goes smoothly, you won't have to see me again. Good luck." He extended his hand towards the archaeologist but Coyle ignored him. The cold gaze returned to Bedford's eyes. "As you wish." He turned to his two other companions. "Shall we?"

-"Thank you, Edward." The Professor put his hand on Coyle's shoulder. "I knew we could count on you."

-"See you tomorrow morning, Dr. Coyle," Emma said. "I remain confident that you will find it highly interesting."

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev | next »