Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

The Barren Tree

Chapter 6

by Myeerah, published on May 3, 2001

"Well, Herr Knight, you seem to be doing rather well for a man with your injuries."

Gabriel ignored the doctor, eyes fixed on the object in his good hand.

"Seeing that you are more aware now, I need to tell you more about your condition. There is, as you might say, good news and bad news."

"Oh?" His gaze never wavered.

"The good news," Doktor Eisenbeis continued, undaunted, "is that you are alive. In less than a weeks time you have recovered enough to make your survival assured. Miraculously, you suffered no damage to your spinal cord, so that when the bones heal, you will be able to walk again. We were able to set all of the broken bones and they are mending without any problems that we can discover."

"Oh, goody."

"Unfortunately," she went on, "you have suffered lasting damage that may never heal."

"I can see that." Breaking off his intent study, he slammed the hand mirror down on the bed. "You cut my hair."

Somewhat taken aback, the doctor explained, "Yes. To sew up the cuts in your head. It's something we do."

"You're supposed to be a doctor, not a butcher!"

"Herr Knight, it was your hair or your head. We chose head."

"But you cut mah haiyuh!"

"Then is should relieve your mind to know that you may be impotent for the rest of your days. You will, in fact, have those days in which to regrow your 'haiyuh.' Good day, Herr Knight." The door closed firmly behind her as Doktor Eisenbeis strode out.

A single word lanced out after her.

"Whut!?"


Gabriel lay panting in pain. The door opened, but he hurt too much to see who it was.

"You really shouldn't be yelling like that with broken ribs, Gabriel," came the dry, sarcastic, much missed, and most unwelcome voice of Grace.

"I know," he whispered.

A hand hesitantly touched his face, then ran through his hair. "Not the hair, Gra-- Aw, hell."

"It's pretty bad, Gabriel. You need to wash it, too."

"Thanks. I just love it when you pick on my grooming habits."

"They're not really habits. More like quirks." She looked into his eyes. The green was much more clear, this time. "How do you feel? Seriously."

He turned his head rather than meet her eyes. He was terrified what he might see in them. "Like a eunuch in a harem, thanks for askin'. You?"

"You'll recover, Gabriel. You've been through worse than this."

"Yeah. It hurt about this much, too."

An awkward silence ensued. Finally, Grace broke it.

"Gabriel?"

Something in her voice made him look at her. He regretted it immediately, because he couldn't look away. She was so beautiful it hurt.

"Do you remember what you said when I saw you yesterday?"

How could I forget? "Yeah."

She took his hand in hers. "Did you mean it?"

"Which part?" The touch of her skin made him remember the feeling of her body pressed against his, crying out. . . How could he answer her? She deserves more than this.

"Either. Or both."

Maybe honesty is the best policy? I can't lie to her now. "Grace, I. . . I can't talk about it right now."

"I see." Clearly, she didn't. "I'm going back to Tibet, Gabriel. I need to finish my training. I leave this afternoon. It should take about three months. Maybe you can talk about it then." She turned to leave, but Gabriel caught one of her hands.

"What?" she snapped.

Trembling, he slowly raised her hand to his lips and kissed her palm.

"Good luck, Gracie. You'll do great, I know." He tenderly folded her fingers around his kiss and nuzzled his cheek against her hand before releasing it.

"Gabriel, you--" she spluttered, unable to complete the thought. Suddenly she swooped down and kissed him ferociously. He brought his hand up to brush her hair back and wipe away the suspicions of a tear from her eye.

"You utter bast*rd," she finished.

"Yeah. I know. See ya in three months?"

"Maybe." She grinned. "You know, I kind of like it when you're helpless."

After the door had shut behind her, Gabriel said softly, "I meant every word of it Gracie. I just can't follow through with it."

At least, not until I get my. . . hair. . . back


Grace sauntered into the waiting room to the curious stares of Gerde, Gran and Celeste. Gerde was the first to speak.

"How did he take it?"

"Which part?"

"Your departure." Gerde sounded anxious. "The last thing he needs is to be as depressed as he was when he came back without you the last time."

"Depressed? Oh. Yes. You'd mentioned that. No, he took it rather well, actually. Rather odd from a man who proposed marriage yesterday, isn't it?" Grace continued, oblivious to the sharp hiss of indrawn breath from Gran, "I need to be going. I should be back in about three months.

"Mrs. Knight, I'm glad to see you again, I'm sorry the circumstances are so terrible. Celeste. . . thanks for the talk. It was very helpful. Gerde, just. . . just take care of him, please?"

Grace hugged Gerde farewell, then wandered aimlessly out of the room, bemusedly thinking, I can't believe I said that to him. Sh*t! I can't believe I meant it!


"Did I hear that correctly?"

"Hear what, Gran?" Celeste asked.

"My Gabriel proposed to marry Grace?" She sounded dangerously near tears. "My boy finally wants a family?" Settling arthritically into a chair, Gran's mouth opened to speak, but nothing emerged.

"Gran? What's wrong?" Celeste sat next to her and examined her critically. "There's nothing to be upset about, you know."

Gran took a deep breath. "You're right, of course. It just took me by surprise." Gerde's worried face caught her attention. "If Gabriel wants to marry Grace, then, no offense dear, who are you?"

"Mrs. Knight," Gerde replied stiffly, "I manage Gabriel's estate for him, and I care for him like a brother. That is all."

"Like a brother? Well." Gran looked Gerde over carefully. "I've always wanted a granddaughter. Call me Gran, please."

Gerde relaxed at the warm look of invitation of Gran's face. "Of course, Gran."

Celeste looked satisfied. "Now that that's settled, can I meet Gabriel? Mom'd be upset if I came all the way to Germany without ever even meeting him."

"Let me see if he's up to another visitor," Gerde said, smiling. She stepped into his room.


"Grand Central Station, can Ah help you?" Gabriel drawled as Gerde stepped in.

She flashed him an amused look. "I'm glad to see you recovering so quickly, Gabriel."

"It's shock, rest assured. It'll wear off."

"What do you mean?"

"Gawd, Gerde. Grace left me again. Am I supposed to be thrilled about that? She left me once, came back 'cause she thought I was dyin', rejected me anyway, and abandoned me the next day. I prob'ly should have died. It's be cheaper than these hospital bills. Any money I brought is is goin' t' be long gone by the time I get outta here."

"Don't worry about money, Gabriel. Have you checked your accounts recently? A wise investor has nothing to fear."

"Whaddya mean, Gerde?"

"I mean that you are a very wealthy man, Gabriel."

"Did you do that?"

Gerde blushed an affirmative.

"I love you, Gerde. In a big sister sort of way."

"I know what you mean, Gabriel." She laughed. "I know what you mean."

"Well, that's one thing then, but," his heart sank, "what about Gracie?"

"Grace had a rather determined look in her eye when she left. Don't give up hope."

"But you don't know Gracie like I do. She's got a side to that--gawd, I can't believe I'm sayin' this, but--if I can't, you know, make her happy, why would she stay with me?"

"Gabriel, every woman, no matter how studious and reserved she may appear, every woman has that side. If she loves you that little aspect will not concern her."

"I wouldn't call it little."

Annoyance flickered across her features, quickly replaced with a smile. "I'm glad to hear that some things never change about you.

"Now, the reason I came in here. Your grandmother brought a friend with her who would like to meet you. Is that all right?"

"One of Gran's bridge partners, I guess. Sure. Send 'er in."

Gerde tried to arrange his hair to cover the shaved spots.

"Looks like hell, don't it?"

"In all honesty? Yes."

Gabriel chuckled, then winced. "Let the ol' biddy in, then find a nurse for me, wouldja? I could use another pain shot."

Gerde glanced mischievously at him, but only said, "Certainly."

"Thanks."


"German candystripers. Gawd."

Celeste was puzzled by this for a few moments, then, "No, Mr. Knight. I'm Celeste Bradley. I came with your Gran."

Gabriel stared, dumbfounded, at the face of a young woman-- a girl --and wondered about Gran's taste in traveling companions. I've got to say you're not what I expected, but if you're helpin' Gran, thanks."

"I'm never what anybody expects, Mr. Knight, and there's no need to thank me. Gran is a great lady, and I love her like she's my own grandma."

"She does have that effect on people, don't she?" He laughed, gasped in pain, cringed from the pain of the gasp, then lay still by an effort of will. "Remind me," he panted, "to not do that."

Celeste hovered at his side, torn between trying to help and respecting the space of a stranger.

"Mr. Knight--"

"Gabriel," he interrupted.

One corner of her mouth pulled back into what was almost a smile. "Gabriel," she continued, rolling her eyes, "this may sound a little strange, but--"

"'F course you can have my autograph," he teased.

"Screw it." Celeste stepped to the head on the bed and swiftly reached down.

"What are you--oh. Oh, that's nice." Gabriel sighed happily.

Continuing to massage his temples and forehead, Celeste said, as casually as she could, "I talked with Grace last night."

The soothing motions of her hands made it too hard to be upset. "What about?"

"About you." Her fingertips brushed lightly over his eyebrows and down his cheeks.

"Whud she say?"

"That you're the most infuriating man she's ever known." Celeste started on his neck and Gabriel moaned with pleasure. "That you make her feel alive. That you make her feel used. That she can't stand to be around you." Her fingers were stroking the tension out of his jaw. "That she can't stand to be away from you." She grazed his face from hairline to chin in soft, sweeping caresses. "That she hates you. That she loves you." Her hands went back to his scalp.

"Ow."

She pulled back instantly. "What did I do?"

I've got some cuts up there. Thanks, though."

"Sorry. No problem. I can see you're tired, so I'll go and let Gran see you before you fall asleep."

"Celeste?" She stopped, hand at the door. "Did Grace really say all that?"

Without turning, she answered, "Yes, but you didn't hear anything you didn't already know, did you?"

As the door closed he laughed softly, then stopped in amazement.

That didn't hurt!

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev | next »