Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

ShadowChancer

Chapter 5

by MistThing, published on February 12, 2001

Where are you, Gracie ... Gabriel stood at the large tree's shadow, looking down at the twin graves of Bruce Lee and his son, Brandon. The marble headstones glistened coldly in ruby and black, and flower wreaths with gold-lettered ribbons left by fans served as a gloomy decoration. Lively ... Gabriel cast another inquisitive look at the peaceful cemetery premises. Seeing nothing of interest, he shoved his hands into his jeans pockets and went back to staring at the gravestones. Bruce Lee's picture was imprinted on his vertically placed crimson monument, gold Chinese letters engraved beneath it. An open book of black marble was sculpted on Lee's horizontal grave plate, the left page showing a golden yin-yang symbol. Gabriel bent a little to read the gold-lettered inscription on the right page:

"Your Inspiration Continues To Guide Us Towards Our Personal Liberation."

Hmmm ... Is this something you wanted me to see, Grace? Gabriel thought darkly. Personal liberation. Yeah, Sure ...

- "Gabriel."

He turned around. Her hair was longer then he remembered, and there were dark circles beneath her eyes. She looked tired. He wanted to gather her fragile figure into his arms. Instead he said, "Grace."

Grace studied him, comparing each and every detail to the mental image that her mind nurtured for so long. Gabriel looked the same as ever ... a little wearier, perhaps. He even wore the same black leather biker's jacket, or a stunningly alike version of it. Where did three years go?

- "Your flight went OK?" Grace moved uneasily, not quite knowing what to do with her hands.

- "It went fine." Gabriel sensed her anxiety. "You worry me, Gracie."

- "Haven't heard that for a long time" - Grace seemed absent-minded - "You calling me that, I mean. Gracie."

Gabriel couldn't bear the tension anymore. He took a small step towards Grace, closing on the short distance between them. He held her shoulders, sensing the incredible amount of tautness bottled up inside her. "Grace ... Tell me what's wrong."

- "Uh..." - Grace seemed ill at ease - "There was this guy..."

- "Now, that's usually my line. Only it goes, 'There was this girl'..." - Gabriel searched Grace's eyes for a clue. "You've changed, Grace."

Grace twisted and broke off his hold. "Well, it's been a long time, Gabriel." She turned and started to walk away. Gabriel looked at her, surprised. Damn ... what happened to you, Gracie?

He hurried after her. "Grace - stop ... I want to help you. Please, let me."

Grace stopped and turned sharply, her eyes ablaze with sudden rage. "I made it on my own here, Gabriel! I was doing fine! Great, actually! And this ... this ... I didn't plan this to happen ... Sh*t !"

- "Grace, relax! You're shivering, dammit!" Gabriel was astounded by her reaction.

She turned her back, pressing her fists against her eyes. "F*ck..." - she mumbled, her voice stifled.

- "Hey, hey..." - Gabriel swung her around effortlessly, making her face him again. He forced Grace's fists away from her eyes, exposing her tear-streaked cheeks. "Come on, Grace ... Whatever it is, it can't be *that* bad ... We can handle it..." He hugged her, bracing her to his chest. Grace buried her face in his jacket, smelling Gabriel's strong, familiar scent again. Her shoulders trembled with silent sobs.

- "Sh*t, Grace..." - He whispered softly, holding her tight - "What the hell took you so long..."

Grace gradually calmed down in his arms. She carefully released herself from Gabriel's grasp. "Let's talk," - she said, her non-bullsh*t tone back. They strolled on the grass together.

- "This ... little walk could even be likable" - said Gabriel - "unless there were so many gravestones around."

- "Get over it, Knight."

Gabriel smiled an inner smile. Yeah ... Grace is back, all-right.

 

Last update: October 25, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev | next »