Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

ShadowChancer

Chapter 7

by MistThing, published on February 15, 2001

Gabriel smiled charmingly at the frowning secretary. "See, I'm sure *someone* got *something* wrong," - he said. "I came all the way from N'Orleans, just for this interview."

-"I'm sorry, but your name doesn't show up on Mr. Parker's schedule" - she replied - "There's really nothing I can do, besides acting understandingly, Mr. Knight."

-"And you're doin' that quite wonderfully, if I may say so" - Gabriel warmed his smile as he leaned slightly over her desk, careful not to appear intimidating. He noted to himself that he squeezed from her a tiny tight-lipped smile.

-"Flattery will get you nowhere, Mr. Knight" - She finally said.

-"Look..." Gabriel desperately spread his arms, palms up. His green eyes acquired the lost puppy expression. "I ... really got no clue what to do ... I'm sure if you just mentioned my name to the art director he'll know what it's about ... problem solved." His gaze was open and honest. Well, he practiced on that one. The secretary responded with a smile, without realizing it.

She's considering it, Gabriel pointed out to himself. Maybe, just a little push, and...

-"I'm so sorry for causing ya trouble..." - He drawled, letting his gaze wander down and linger *very* lightly on her body, in a *very* alluding way - "I'm sure the mix-up stems from my usin' of a ... so-called pen-name ... Y'know us comics artists, our minds are way up there sometimes..." - He finished the act with an embarrassed wide smile.

-"Tell you what..." - She removed her glasses, laying them on the desk. "Write here for me your pen name and I'll go inside, clear it with Mr. Parker."

-"Great..." - Gabriel's tone was thankful, appreciative - "You just saved my life here ... I'm usin' two pen names, really. Silly, huh..." - He bent a little over the desk, writing the names on a piece of paper she presented him with - "Clark Wayne and Bruce Kent. Would ya tell him both?"

-"Bruce Kent?" - The secretary wondered - "Sounds familiar ... Oh well, so many work here and so many get interviewed, so..." - She raised eyebrows, but opened the heavy door and walked in, closing it discretely behind her.

Gabriel studied the little square metal sign on the door, saying:

Creative manager / Art Director
Wade Parker

It was damn easy getting' mahself into the building, he was thinking. Almost ... too easy ... He laughed. Damn, always wanted to say that line ... Grace and him conjured a modest little plan ... She was going to dig up information at The Tribune, her adopting Seattle Daily. He was intending to talk to Psion's Seattle branch art director, who was also professional supervisor over that guy Grace was hanging out with ... the one that pulled the disappearing act. Seeing the walled Psion building, Gabriel was sure he wouldn't go past the entrance gate ... surprisingly, introducing himself as a comics artist about to be interviewed and presenting his driving license for ID were enough. He also had no trouble finding the art director's office on the 16th floor, main building. The secretary, he managed to handle as well ...

The door opened again, and the secretary slipped out. "You may come in, Mr. Knight, my apologies" - She smiled nervously - "I really don't know how my registration got mixed-up like this..."

-"Appreciate your help" - Gabriel shook her hand, holding her palm for a brief second longer then needed, and stepped into the office.


Grace stormed out of the bus, almost tripping on her way down. Dear God, Gabriel ... Her sweaty hair glued to her face as she ran through the streets .... she stopped, panting, only when the gray walls of Psion Inc. showed up in the distance. It's a damn fortress ... Grace breathed in deeply and started to walk slowly towards the gate, forcing herself not to run.

-"Hi" - She smiled at one of the security guards - "I have a scheduled interview with a Mr. Wade Parker, Manager / Art Director."

She presented her reporter's ID. The guard took it from her hand. "A moment please, ma'am" - He dialled the adjacent phone in his booth. Sh*t, there goes nothing - thought Grace. "A Miss Grace Nakimura," she heard him say. The guard focused his attention back on her. "Here, Miss Nakimura" - he handed her back the ID - "You're expected at Mr. Parker's office, Main, floor 16."Grace took her ID, surprised, her hand suddenly slightly trembling.

She walked towards the main building's opaque dark glass door, and it silently slid open for her. Grace stepped inside ... almost instantly seized by vague, plain ... fear. She started towards the elevators and paused, frozen by intense, growing panic. It's a last night rerun all over again ... She was already drawing curious looks from passers-by, yet invisible chains fixed her to the shiny floor.


- "Miss Nakimura." The soft feminine voice came from behind her, its tone icy ... a diamond cutting on glass. Grace could smell a faint cinnamon scent ... The speaker walked around her leisurely and faced her. Grace gazed helplessly at the smooth, expressionless Chinese features.

-"Pleased to meet you, Miss Nakimura. You seem ... unwell."

The black slanted look pierced Grace's soul like a dagger ... the voice held subtle mockery. "Care to join me?"

The Chinese woman took Grace's arm, steel fingers forcing her to the nearest elevator. The elevator's door closed behind them. The woman crossed her arms, studying Grace. "Cat ate your tongue ... ShadowChancer? Maybe if I introduced myself ... I'm Seline Isley ... but I prefer China Moon."

She's the one that left the cinnamon odour at Bruce's apartment yesterday night ... Grace stared at her, unable to speak ... Terror jammed like a tight knot in her throat.

The bright green floor numbers switched rapidly on the black plate above China's head. Her body blocked the exit, while her hand rested casually near the elevator's push-buttons. The chrome-plated doors slid sideways with a slight hiss.

-"Floor sixteen" - Said China flatly. She pushed Grace, leading her to the heavy door, marked:

Creative manager / Art Director
Wade Parker

The secretary's post was empty. Seline ... China shoved Grace inside the large office, employing only slight force. Grace recognized the messy blond mane ... She tried to scream and warn him, managing only a faint squeak ... China laughed dryly behind her.

Gabriel was sitting in front of a heavy wooden working desk, with his back to the door. On the other side of the desk sat a tall, thin man ... his fierce bright look landed on Grace and Seline as they entered. He didn't move a muscle. "Ladies..." - he barely smiled - "Mr. Knight and I ... were engaged in small talk." He got up slowly, advancing towards Grace.

Gabriel swiveled in his chair. "Grace? What're ya doin' here?" - He asked, surprised.

-"I'm Wade Parker ... Enchanted." Wade stood very close to Grace now. She found the strength to withdraw backwards ... only to bump into Seline behind her. Grace felt tightness closing on her chest, her breaths becoming shallow and rapid. Her heart was pounding so heard, she was sure it was going to explode ... the lights dimmed, her mind was clouded ... as if every essence of her existence was being wiped away, leaving behind it only sharp, painful, overwhelming FEAR.

-"Something wrong, my dear?" - Wade sounded mildly interested - "Oh, I see ... China just loves to demonstrate her emotion-projecting capabilities. Stop scaring the hell out of our guest, Seline..."

Gabriel sprang to his feet angrily. "What the hell are you -" he shouted, taking a wide step towards the three of them.

-"Well..." - Wade turned to Gabriel now - "That was kind of ... rude, was it?"

Gabriel suddenly folded under his look, his hands clutching his head. "Damn..." - he groaned - "What are you people?"

Seline said nothing ... Grace found it impossible to breath, falling down to her knees.

Wade looked down at her. "So ... that ridiculous ad finally brought you here, huh? Of course you understand that this ... ad ... is NOT our way of - uh - attracting clients."

Grace sank to the floor ... Gabriel was writhing in pain not too far away from her, holding his head.

Wade studied them in interest. "We couldn't get to you on the outside ... someone was protecting you. So, we had to convene our little meeting here..." - he smiled.

He bent over Grace, his hand grabbing her face viciously. "ShadowChancer ... there is something we need from you ... dear."

 

Last update: October 25, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev | next »