Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

Falling from Grace

Episode twenty-one

by Overmind - published on May 22, 2001

Chapter 8

“Here, Grace” Said Sebastian as he handed out a piece of paper to her, on it was the phone number of Igor's supposed whereabouts. Without looking, she took it in her hand, and left it on the desk where she sat. She was reading. Why must every damned case always involves hours and hours of reading? True, she loved to read and she loved to solve hundreds years old mysteries, but this time Gabe isn't around to deal with the bad things while she reads calmly. She did think about asking Sebastian to do what Gabe used to do, but more is at stake here than just a strange african faerie folk case, it’s also about her destiny. She must do this alone, mustn’t she?

“Tell me Grace,” Begun Sebastian to get her attention “The fact that you haven’t turned your pages in the last 10 minutes, is that good or bad?”

“Oh!” She suddenly realized he was quite right. She hadn't really read any page in a while. “I'm just… pre-occupied a bit.” She half-lied.

“Want me to aid you?” He asked, benignly, not knowing that he was actually tempting the devil.

“Actually… yes…” She hesitatingly answered. She didn't fully, fully, trust Sebastian, but she had to. Lives were at stake, and time was running out. She felt it. She just knew time was running out. Something in the look of those children… their wooden eyes sent out a message in a way, one that said “You’re losing your time, you Can't win. We’re almost ready”.

“And what is it I may do?” Sebastian said, figuring she’d never end her sentence if he didn't push.

“Yes, take this paper you just gave me. And Call Igor yourself. I'm too stuck up on this research. I just Can't do two things at the same time. Fight evil, and read on evil.” She finally concluded.

“As you wish. Finally decided on fully trusting me, hein?”

“I have little choice, with Dominic there on that reading couch.”

“Yes, how long has it been?”

“He’s been out for… two hours. He groans ever now and then.” She looked legitimately worried.

Sebastian didn't had anything, he’d guessed something was going on between the two, and he didn't want to somehow intrude, in her feelings by wanting to show too much attention to Dominic. She’s only feel a lot more protective of him, and wouldn't focus on her job. It’s in those times that Sebastian was glad he had a degree in psychology.

“I'll be in the next room, making my part of the investigation.” He finally said, leaving.

“Thank you, Sebastian.”

Gracy resigned herself, and continued to read. Her desire to prove her value as a Fighter of Darkness couldn't pass before the lives of others. It seems, she’d solve this case with some help, once more. She was reading a book on Africa, written by that professor that had gotten killed many years ago in New Orleans when gabe was on of the Voodoo murders case. She felt like his ghost was somewhere around her. She really didn't like the feeling. But this book apparently had some passages underlined.

“And it was a very strange fact, the one I saw then. This odd tribe albeit, they followed the same gods did seems to worship another kind of supernatural beings. I cannot link this strange ceremony with anything I know of the Voodoun. It would seem that some people, were trapped within huge trees in some bigger versions of the Sekey madoulé we know, with engravings that do not match the lola symbols known to me. Professor Kaldegger, has a theory that has to do with, fairies. For more in this subject of supposed fairies, refer to his book “The Call of nature : Fairies. of Africa”. The Entire book, is the only one known to me about The African fey folk, even though, I personally de not believe in this theory at all.

Now, to return to the description of the rituals of the “Cabrit sa..”

Gracy stopped reading here, and she began to check for the book from Professor Kaldegger.

Once again, this book had passages underlines, with a pencil of the same color. Possibly, made by the same hand.

“Further analysis of the symbols actually leads to believe that these are not at all, representing anything that has to do with gods. Comparison with other such drawings taken from many other nature oriented tribes, from a whole continent away shows very striking evidence that whatever these were, they weren't confined to Africa. Considering the age of these drawings, and thus the time at which they were made, communication within the different tribes was simply not possible. Leaving us to believe, in a legitimate supernatural race of beings that knows how to remain unseen.”

“What were these things, then? Many goes with the idea of aliens, or spirits of nature. I believe the later is right. Considering what is known about the supposed appearances of aliens, the drawings do not conquer at all. These drawings are clearly those of humanlike beings, of child age completely naked with very nasty faces. These being were probably at first considered evil, by looking at the oldest depictions of them in the african tribes, but later discovered as gentle and harmless to those that followed nature’s will.”

“My analysis of the Sekey Madoulé ritual in Africa, and of the Tree Burials in South America, lead me to believe that those creatures were born by mother nature’s will, and were meant to protect her. Those who were judged guilty of hurting mother nature, were to be buried alive inside trees. Were the Fey kin would deliver them of their “Evil” and release them afterwards into the world were they will until their death work for none other that Mother Nature.”

“They seldom spoke of their travels inside the tree, and thus, nothing is known of what happened in there, but those that were released were changed forever. Note, that as described in page 52, there is no way any human being alone could escape from those trees and all evidences prove that no one aided them. The tree itself would appear to let the man live, or sentence him to death. That said, bones were always found, whether the man was released or not.”

And the last underline passage was, as such :

“All traces of these fey protectors of nature ends sometime before the industrial ages. At the time, it would appear that the most remote tribes (those that barely ever had contact with modern technologies and modern man) still believed in those fey folks. Nothing is known as to why it’s belief suddenly ended. The most probable explanation was the fact that they saw the white man’s destruction of nature and how they weren't at all bothered by the fey folk which should be in complete outrage towards them, and thus lead them to believe that may be their fairies. didn't exist.”

Grace closed the book, and pondered a little more on the subject, making thousands of theories. She’d be lead to believe it was Victor, Dominic’s brother that had underlined those books, but he guts told her it was none other that Igor. May be Sebastian had luck, she tough as she got up to enter the office, where Sebastian said he’d call the most definitely mysterious Igor.

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev | next »