Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

Silencing the Screamer

Part 2

by Christina Kazmierczak, published on October 31, 2000

Grace woke up to the smell of maple syrup. Nestled in a big green comforter she really did not want to get up.

Her dreams had been pleasant. She had been a baby snuggled in the arms of a woman. The woman's face was covered in a veil, but what Grace could see reminded her of an anime character: large almond eyes in a heart shaped face, high cheekbones with a slightly larger than normal nose. Not who you would find in the beauty magazine... but beautiful and warm and... The baby Grace had reached out a hand. "I'll be here for you kid, just like I promised your mom. Okay? If I can stop anything bad from happening to you, I will.'

Grace sighed. She hadn't received too many good nights since she left France. Not that her dreams were bad. They were just filled with... him. (I really must get out more. If I am going to spend that much sleeping time thinking about him... I must not be meeting enough interesting men.)

Grace peeked her head out of her covered. She scanned the room . Two desks set up with three computers, file cabinet, a heavy redwood entertainment center used as bookshelf, and pictures lining the wall. And a painting of the woman from her dream. (Without the vale. I must have fallen asleep looking at her. From the look of the furniture I would say everything is at least second hand if not swap meet. And now for the magazine cover of thrift store decorating and life..)

"Morning sleepy head." Alexi called from the kitchen of the small apartment. "Do you want breakfast before or after you go over the rest of the files? I have pancakes but I can make something else."

"Pancakes are fine. I would like to get started with whatever else you have as soon as possible. I feel like I am being left in the dark."

"Not intentionally. Our source hasn't been able to get us any more information."

Grace flushed. "Source? Us? If I am not mistaken I was working on this. Who made you my partner? And how do you know Chadrel?"

"Chadrel didn't tell you that you would be working with someone? Well, maybe not working. I really am not good for much. But given your condition I am probably a better heavy hitter. Otherwise, you are on your own. Have any idea why the arsenic in the bloodstream? Last time I checked there was only one arsenic producer in the United States, but we are within walking distance to Mexico and... Arsenic can be derived from peach pits so maybe the kids or perps were involved with peaches. I think there are a few canneries around here. Did I mention I was queen of random?"

"WHAT CONDITION? Don't go making decisions form me! I am not a child!" Grace raised her voice.

Was there a touch of emotion in Alexi's previously monotone voice? "I won't, but Grace... you didn't know? I hate to inform you ... but you are about 6 weeks pregnant. Maybe we should leave off that subject for now." Alexi grabbed a nearby keyboard. "Here we go, case of the day complements of our contact in the police department – ugg!"

Peeking at the picture displayed on the screen, Grace could not help but agree.

What hadn't been released to the press was that each victim had internal organ taken out of the artery which was cut. The way the crime scene looked, the police were speculating that the organs were removed while the victim was still alive. References to divination and religious groups spotted the reports. The kids were left were they were cut. But they did not die directly, according to coroner reports. Death came from blood loss. The kids lived several minutes after they were cut. Long enough to write messages in their own blood. Well, the same message– over and over again. "Stop the Screamer."

An hour later...

"No luck with the moon phases?" Grace asked over her shoulder as she read stream after stream of data.

"Not the kinda luck your interested in. I know you are used to more sophisticated equipment Grace, but this is just a moon phase table. There does seem to be a pattern though. Each killing was on a quarter cycle of the moon. I mean the first occurred on the quarter moon then the half moon then the three quarter, then the full. And repeated. Yourself?"

"Nothing. No reference to the Screamer or a Screamer anywhere. A few to certain types of bezerkers, but nothing substantial. You will really need better equipment if you are going to keep doing this when I am gone."

"I will remember that when my next disability or judgment check comes in – until then, this and the public library is all we have. Till then we are flying blind."

Grace reddened. "I didn't mean to -"

"That's what most people do. ‘They don't mean to'. Look, Grace I can't be in any physical position for more then thirty minutes before I end up in extreme pain. My body constantly itches all over and the only thing that seems to distract me from this crawling sensation that I call my skin is high doses of caffeine and nicotine. Neither is good for me. Now if you excuse me, I am going out to me pitiful excuse for a balcony to have a lung snack." Alexi was gone.

Grace took a deep breathe before getting up from her seat. "Time to call Schloss Ritter. Maybe I'll get lucky and won't have to talk to Gabe." With that, Grace's search for the phone began.

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev | next »