Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

Southend

8.

by MistThing, published on December 31, 2000

Gabriel stood staring out of his room window, losing all count of time. When the blackness outside brightened, and the sky took on the gray-pink of dawn, he managed to shake off the trance-like state he was in. It was fun to beat the hell out of Saunders, sure...but it's time to get this over with. But how exactly, damn it? Gabriel ran his hand through his messy hair and pressed his fingers to his pulsating temples: Bloody headache. Being awake this early wasn't conceived natural by him, but Gracie was gone, God knows where, and so was his sleep. And what was Saunders lookin' for, anyway, at the Mull of Kintyre in the middle of the night? The Inspector arrived at the area the night of the crash, bothered the Allisons, got back to Dumbarton Police Headquarters in the morning where I first met him, and then made this long drive here, again! Gabriel pulled out Gracie's notebook from his jeans back pocket, and went over the last lines in the early morning light, almost memorizing them:

"...one of the many line-systems forming the grids, is called 'Ley-lines'. Those are the energy lines formed where 'the Sacred Stones', built by the ancient Megalithic people, are laid in a straight line..."

"Fine, Gracie" - he muttered - "I'll do what you want. I'll follow your bloody stones."

He paused again over Gracie's final words: "Tomorrow I'm going to Ballochroy, Kintyre - there's an interesting bunch over there."

"Well...you practically arranged me a damn 'Meet the wonders of Scotland' tour, Gracie..."

Surprisingly, human voices and the ringing of dishes being laid on the table were heard from downstairs. So, the Allisons are early birds. Gabriel pushed the now raggedy notebook back into his pocket and went downstairs.

-"My boy, did I wake yah?"-Annie smiled at Gabriel-"Might I add, yah still lookin' like sh*te."-she pulled out a chair for him.

-"You sure are doin' wonders to a man's self-esteem talkin' like that, Mrs. Allison"-Gabriel sat at the table-"I didn't get much sleep tonight."

Kirk joined them. "Another bloody hot day!"-he announced-"Midges goin' tah flood the place, I tell yah! Hate the little flyin' buggers!"

Gabriel poured himself some black coffee, drank it with one long gulp, and poured himself another cup. He rose to his feet, smiling apologetically at Annie. "Got myself a busy day, I'd better get goin'."

-"That coffee goin' tah keep yah a whole day?"-Annie was shocked.

-"Wait... Gabriel."-Kirk got up too-"I'll drop yah off at Campbeltown. Yah can find yerself a ride there."

-"Any bikes for rental in there?"

-"Let me see...Aye, there's a friend o' mine that does group motorcycle tours. He owes me a favor... He'll rent yah a bike."


...Gabriel stood outside the unimpressive "Wheels of Scotland" bike rental workshop, waving Kirk's van goodbye. He mounted his unimpressive bike and hit the road to Glenbarr. After a while he had to manoeuvre without so much road to count on, among green hills and scattered sheep. Glenbarr Abbey was a beautiful 18th Century house, and quite a large one, surrounded by well-kept lawns and woodland. Gabriel pulled off and dismounted his bike. He looked around. Seems like I'm the only visitor for now, he gathered. Maybe this place is not such a big hit. The welcoming sign said, "Clan MacAlister Centre." Gabriel shrugged in submission and opened the decorated wooden door. A respectable-looking elderly man welcomed him in.

-"Good morning, traveler!"-he announced dramatically-"I'm Laird Angus Macalister! Yah'll excuse me fer not puttin' on my nineteenth-century costume, too early in the mornin' fer that!"

-"No problem." Gabriel glanced around the fairly large hallway. "What's that?" he pointed to an artwork on the wall, demonstrating an encircled hand holding a dagger pointed up.

-"That, my lad, is the MacAlister Clan badge, of course!"-replied Laird Angus-"At ancient times, the Scots got together in Clans, Clan-members mostly havin' the same bloodline. Each Clan had himself a Chief. The Chief gave his people a metal badge, that they usually fixed to their belts."

-"What does the word 'FORTITER' means?" asked Gabriel, observing the word written above the symbol.

-"It means, 'BOLDLY' "-answered Laird Angus-"that's the MacAlisters' motto."

-"Does the word 'defend' means anythin' to ya?"-Gabriel remembered the word that the warrior said in his dream.

-"Hmmm..."-Angus was thinking-"The ancient form of our clan's name is MacAlasdair. Which originates from the Greek name Alexandros, which means: 'Defender of Man'."

-"So, basically" responded Gabriel-"The MacAlisters, or MacAlasdairs, assumed a defending, or protective, role."

-"Aye, they did!"-smiled Laird Angus-"During the thirteenth century, the English were winning over the Gaelic Princes in Ireland. In their desperation, the Gaels turned fer help tah their Northern brothers! So...the MacAlasdairs sent their young warriors over to Ireland, sailin' and crossin' the narrow channel to Antrim, tah fight and defend their Irish cousins! Those young MacAlasdair warriors were called-"

-" Galloglaich ..."-completed Gabriel, suddenly realizing Saunders' heated words at the Mull of Kintyre.

-"Right, lad! 'Galloglaich' means, actually, 'Young Foreign warriors'..."

-"And the name 'Alasdair Mor' ? Means anythin', Laird Angus?"

Angus breathed in astonishment. "Why, Alasdair Mor, the great warrior, was the ancestor of the Clan MacAlister! He was the youngest son of king Donald, Lord of the Western Isles, grandson of the Celtic Prince Somerled who's been Lord of Argyll on the twelfth century!"

-"Well..."-Gabriel was pleased -"Thanks, I think that's enough for now."

-"Glad tah help! Yah're -"

-"Gabriel, Gabriel Knight."

-"Yer name's Knight, huh? Strange" -said Laird Angus -"An old prediction mentions - -Ner, forget about it."


Gabriel started his bike. Next stop is Ballochroy. What did Alasdair Mor tried to tell him in his dream?

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev | next »