Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

Voices

Chapter 1

by Judie Lynne, published on December 4, 2000

Gabriel had been working on his new novel for 9 hours that day. For once, he hadn't had to start over and over again as he had so many times before. He was on a roll as the ideas and words were tumbling to the surface, just ripe and ready for the picking. Pleased with himself, he gathered the typewritten sheets, and assembled them in their sequential order. He settled back in his high backed leather chair, and began to read his own work, with no sound in the background except the ticking of the mantle clock on the fireplace. A smile was planted on his face, as he read through the words. He savored them with relish, often repeating a paragraph that he particularly liked.

There was a soft buzzing in the air. It was like the sound of a fly in the room. It came closer, and louder, and nearer. Gabriel looked away from his papers and around the room. The buzzing stopped, but there was definitely a gentle breeze coming to his right, fanning wisps of his hair across his face. A chill ran up his spine, as he quickly stood, and instinctively and quickly brushed his face with his hand, to chase away that buzzing thing near him. Another sound, like that of a muffled giggle, and then more buzzing and air. Backing up towards the door, with his hand behind him ready to turn the knob, he saw a tiny light that suddenly appeared in front of him, showing the shimmering outline of what appeared to be a ..a fairy? Shaking his head, and blinking his eyes, he looked again. It was still there, as though it were a hummingbird, wings moving rapidly, and still in one spot. The light grew brighter.

'Hey, it looks like a tiny angel! What? It just couldn't be!' The tiny figure, followed by the light, quickly darted to the left and landed on Gabriel's shoulder.

'Whoa! What is this? Who or what are you?' Gabriel resisted the urge to swat the little winged form, and instead cupped his hand near it, only to watch the tiny form move over to his hand and light there.

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev | next »