Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

End times: a Gabriel Knight mystery

Chapter 4

by AGM, published on April 25, 2001

Finally, they had once more reached the bottom.

She had done it! She had climbed down and made it the bottom before sunrise. She immediately ran and hugged Hong and the two shared an embrace in the rising morning light.

“You know I love you, don't you Grace?” He said.

She stepped back shocked, unsure of what to say. It wasn't that she wasn't sure she felt the same way, but they had never actually said the words to each other, and she still wasn't sure if it was too early to be saying the same words back to Hong.

He seemed to sense her apprehension and pulled her in close again.

“It's okay. You don't have to say it back, just know its true from me. And know that I want you to have this.”

He let her go and took off his necklace and placed it around Grace's neck.

She was at a loss for words, but still she tried. “I can't…this is yours and…and…”

“Shh.” He put a finger to her mouth. “I want you to have this. This retreat has been interesting for me, but I mostly did this to experience a part of the world I never have. I've never had any interest in the supernatural and goblins and the devil and demons. That was my grandfather, just and old superstitious old man. And that is just a necklace, and a symbol of my love. So you may keep it.”

Her mouth hung open for a few seconds before she pulled him deeper into another kiss. Then parting just enough she released him and said, “I do love you. With all my heart too.” Then kissed him again.

The moment was perfect. In fact it was their moment…

That's why it was so easily spoiled.

“A touching moment. I do hope I'm interrupting.”

They both turned towards the sound of the voice. A man, in white robes stood still watching them with a grin.

“Can I help you sir?” Hong said with a slight bit of annoyance in his voice.

“No, you can't actually Mr. Lee. I'm here for Ms. Nakimura, so stand aside.”

Hong stepped in front of Grace. “Grace, run back to the camp and get some help. I'll handle our guest here on my own.”

“Your funeral.” The mystery man replied. “Literally…” He raised his hand and the sky started to grow dark.

Then a buzzing noise began to fill the air. It seemed to be coming from all around them. Hong turned around, scanning every direction, fist's raised ready to attack whatever might threaten them.

And Grace began to notice that her chest was getting hot. She peered down and saw that the heat seemed to be coming from the talisman, which's color's seemed to becoming more bold and bright as the buzzing increased.

Suddenly the mystery man cried, “Attack!” and the air seemed to erupt, and a swarm of locust's appeared and began madly buzzing around Hong.

He screamed in pain, as Grace could only assume, they began to bite through his flesh.

“Run!” He cried. “Back to camp! Now!”

“Yes Grace,” The stranger followed laughing. “I hoped to get you before he could give you that trinket, but luckily for you were protected before I arrived. So run Grace…run to your Schattenjäger…and tell him I will see him and the others soon.” She took one last look at the stranger. Trying to imprint as much about him as possible in her mind. Then back at Hong.

His body now lay motionless. Locusts swarmed over him, covering his body totally from view.

She fought back tears, grasped the talisman and ran.

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev | next »