Home
The games
Resources
Links
About
Site map

« Back

GK4: Reflections and Shadows

Part 4

by Theresa Wilson, published on January 27, 2001

Grace stopped her mind from drifting enough to straighten her vehicle's path on the road. She decided to stop for a rest and stopped the car to the right side. Grace turned on the radio and listened to "The Mummer's Dance".

The words took her back to her childhood with all the wonderful and educational stories of Japanese monsters and heroes. Indeed, most of them were for simple lessons. But, Grace had always loved scary stories, but not the kind Gabriel had been into. Unless, he liked H.P. Lovecraft or Edgar Allen Poe.

That's why it had been hard for Grace to believe at first there was such a thing as werewolves in one of Gabriel's cases.

"Gabriel this. And, Gabriel that. What about how you left Chadrel?" Grace asked herself, checking her new haircut of longer layered hair.

"I remember it well. Chadrel came by the next day to ask me if I come to a decision."

"I said yes. I could not be like one of the monks. I would instead finish my Sword Dancer training to sharpen my moves into use in fighting instead of just a practice for exercise and enjoyment. Although, you may as well use something if you enjoy it alot."

"Then, Grandpa called me. He wanted me to come to see him. He'd found leads on the Moondog wall hangings. So, I trusted Chadrel and told him everything."


Chadrel listened patiently. "I was hoping you were ready to tell what was hidden inside you."

Grace nodded. "Yes, Chadrel I know you'd be somebody who would understand. I've already told you that my parents use the Japanese form of Sword dancing. This form holds stealth, trying to stay quiet, and injuring moves in as few blows as possible. But, it can be a dance, one version has been used here in India."

"My grandfather is from Europe, he and my grandmother use the European method. It is used for honored fighting with others and you can have partners, such as a the dancing of gypsies. But, in fairy tales, it was used to tame monsters like dragons or trolls, that might do harm against others. Sometimes it was used in full scale battles where the Sword Dancer's actions were used to communicate with all the forces on the battle field. It depends on how somebody chooses to use it."

"I'm pretty sure most of the evil we face are pretty old and yearn to fight old-fashioned battles with sword and fist. I could handle that. I simply loathe anything like Gabriel has faced and wish a different approach."

"That is wise, if that is what you think is meant for you." Chadrel challenged.

Grace smiled. "I do think that's what I am MEANT to do, not just what I WANT."

"But, there are my parents and grandparents fighting what I should do. My parents only want my to be a traditional Japanese Sword Dancer. And, my grandparents would like me to do both. Sword Dancing was never really meant to be used to fight anyone but an opponent in battle or a monster, in stories of course." Grace almost lost it there. Chadrel had mentioned those old legends about a Sword Dancer group that had killed or saved monsters, depending on their good or evil intentions. If werewolves, were real, couldn't those stories be true.

"Chadrel, will you tell me if those old legends you mentioned of Sword Dancers are true?"

"No, they are simply stories." Chadrel said. "But, there was evidence they were true. I believe this group was not Sword Dancers, from our experience with them here in our temple were always of warriors or dancers for hire."

"Grandpa thinks they may be connected to an old European legend of a race of higher evolved dogs named Moondogs." Grace said. "He thinks that the stories are one and the same, but the wall hangings made a long time ago have been sold here and there in auction houses or kept away in old buildings. He's almost found all fourteen. We only need five more."

"I've decided to have him finish my final lessons and grade me on if I can be a true Sword Dancer. Anyone can try to do the moves, but you have to have alot of practice or some natural Grace to swing the sword or swords in very unpredictable rhythm."

"I suppose your parents don't approve of this." Chadrel frowned.

"They will if I use this to finish my Sword Dancing. Remember, it's a tradition in my family. I'm supposed to hold up traditions and old beliefs of my culture."

"I see." Chadrel nodded. "Then, you will leave us soon."

"Yes." Grace said. "But, not without saying good-bye and you judging if I can fight evil."

Chadrel nodded. "It is up to you. But, you have a strong faith in yourself. You have a logical mind and a positive attitude and have the stubbornness to keep obstacles from getting in your way. And, you have goodness and understand what is natural and un-natural. That is more than enough."

"Thank you." Grace said. "I could come back to train with you for help when I'm finished."

"If you need me or my fellow men and women, let me know." Chadrel left and walked away.

 

Last update: October 24, 2007


Print this page or access the printer friendly version
Bookmark with:
Bookmark this page with del.icio.us Delicious   Bookmark this page with Digg Digg   Bookmark this page with Facebook Facebook  Bookmark this page with Reddit Reddit  Bookmark this page with StumbleUpon StumbleUpon

« prev | next »